You are not logged in.

#1 11-08-08 10:14:40

stidds
Verified Member

Part 3 Pass!!! - Now with FULL write up.

I had my 2nd attempt at my Part 3 today and I am so pleased to say that I have passed.

I will do a write up later but had to tell someone.

I had PST 5 and received a 6/5.

ADI Part 1 - Passed July 2006
ADI Part 2 - Passed August 2007
ADI Part 3 - Delayed Pass June 2008
ADI Part 3 - Passed August 2008

11-08-08 10:14:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Pass!!! - Now with FULL write up.

#2 11-08-08 10:30:48

catweazle
Verified Member

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

congratulations

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 11-08-08 11:06:52

eco_safe

Congratulations stidds  WELL DONE!!!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

#4 11-08-08 12:20:12

robertjones207
Verified Member

Well done  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

#5 11-08-08 12:24:23

toptrainer
Verified Member
Website

Really good result - well done! Welcome to the 'Fraternity' 8-)

Currently (since 2007) managing the training and development of over 1200 driving instructors in a group of driving schools in the UAE. Former member of the AA Driving School Training Team in the UK, an honorary Staff Examiner for the IAM. All the usual stuff...IAM, RoSPA, Cardington A, Fleet, PDI Trainer, Remedial etc. Certified  Risk Assessor. Keeping in touch with all my former colleagues etc in the UK

#6 11-08-08 12:25:24

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

big_smile Congratulations  big_smile

Good luck for the future...look forward to reading a write up when uve come back down to earth!!! (which can take a while  tongue enjoy the moment)

#7 11-08-08 15:07:02

mani
Verified Member

congratulations, looking forward to your write up, all the best for the future.

#8 11-08-08 17:48:04

Mat_Leeke
Verified Member
Website

Congrats!

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)

www.adi-mat.com

#9 11-08-08 20:03:14

wolves
Verified Member

EXCELLENT

Part 1.....100% & 57  passed 1st Time
Part 2.....4 minors     Passed 1st Time
Part 3.....3 & 3         Failed 1st attempt
part 3.....2 & 3         Failed 2nd attempt
part 3.....3 & 4         Failed 3rd attempt
part 1..Round2..96% & 68% passed 1st time
Part 2..Round2..3 minors 1 serious failed 1st attempt
Part 2..Round2..5 minors Passed 2nd attempt
Part 3..Round2..4 & 3 Failed 1st attempt
part 3..round2..3 & 3 failed 2nd attempt
part 3..round2..4 & 5 PASSED 3rd attempt woohoo!

#10 12-08-08 14:51:15

ceecee
Verified Member

Congrats!! Well done you. All the best for your new career

ADI Part 1 passed: 28/03/2008
ADI Part 2 passed: 03/07/2008
ADI Part 3 failed: 28/07/2009
ADI Part 3 failed: 30/09/2009
ADI Part 3 passed:07/10/2009

#11 12-08-08 22:49:58

stidds
Verified Member

Test 11/08/2008 - Pass mark 6/5

PST 5    -    Phase 1    – Controlled (Emergency) Stop and Use of Mirrors

Introduced myself (he is called Pete) and spoke about previous lessons.  I then took full control of the SE immediately, asking him what is the 1st thing he has been taught to do after entering the car?  He did a Cockpit Drill and I praised him for it.

I then did a Recap (Q&A), regarding MSM, mirrors, blindspots etc.

I then laid out the objectives, which I got spot on (sorry to blow own trumpet, but I was really pleased with the objectives).

We then drove to the site and as before I took full control of the SE and made sure I knew what was ahead and then how he would deal with it.  He missed the right mirror at the next junction and I caught him immediately (he said he forgot so we fixed it on the move).  He also missed the mirror in the new road, I picked him up on it and he said he had never been taught this, so I pulled him over to speak about it.  I explained the importance of checking the mirrors in the new road and he said he understood.  We took several junctions after this and I made sure that I was one step ahead of the SE (if that is possible) by carefully watching the road ahead and thinking about what should happen and also what the SE could do.  A couple of times he missed the new road check, but I was always watching.

At the site of the manouevre, I did my main briefing, covering the reasons for the E-stop, previous experience of harsh braking (as a cyclist in his case), mirrors (or non use of), importance of quick reactions, progressive braking (linking it to how we already brake), clutching down, explained ABS, importance of keeping both hands on the wheel (tightening grip also), why we secure the car when stopped, obs (importance of left blind spot) and skidding (how to correct).  I explained the signal that I would use and also assured him that I would not put him in any danger when doing the manouevre, I would only give the signal if safe to do so.  I also did a couple of dry runs. 

The bit I was really pleased about was my Main Points were absolutely spot on with regard to timing.

I then asked if he had any questions, to which he replied none and we drove on (when ready, LOL).

The 1st attempt he applied the brake too light and also forgot to clutch down so we stalled.  We started the engine and then carried on as normal, I talked him through pulling away and he tried to miss the left blind spot, so I caught him and made him look.  I pulled him over and spoke about what went wrong and what to do to fix it, I praised him for the mirror checks.  We had another go.

2nd attempt was better but he jumped on the brake to quickly this time, which made the tyres yelp, however this time the clutch went down quickly.  This time I asked him what about where we would check before moving off, to which he said “Oh yeah, checking for the person overtaking on the left”, he was praised for this.  We pulled over again, and I explained what had happened this time.  I asked him what happens when we usually brake and he said that “We brake lightly and then harder if needed”, I praised him for this and said that is what we do during the E-stop also.  Off we went again.

3rd attempt, I actually think was an actual driver error.  When I told him to stop, he caught his right foot on the gas pedal before hitting the brake pedal, this meant we jumped forward and then stopped.  The stopping was good apart from the Gas hit and he also did the mirror and blindspot checks well.  Again he was praised for this and we spoke about hitting the wrong pedal and the danger this could cause.

4th attempt was very good and everything was spot on.  The SE then asked me to pull him over to the side of the road.  I figured this was the end of the phase 1 and gave a full summary.

End of Phase 1.

PST 5    -    Phase 2    - Progress/Positioning/Hesitancy

I took a breather and looked at my notes for the next part.  The SE explained that he was now a trained driver at test level and had a problem with road ‘normal’ road positioning and poor judgement of speed.  His name was now Steve.

I introduced myself and spoke about what we would be doing in today’s lesson.  I asked him to carry out the Cockpit Drill and praised him for it.

Q&A about progress.  Dangers of driving too slowly (had to drag the answer out of him, so really got him thinking), asked what things determine the maximum safe speed you can drive at (again wanted to make him think) - we got to the answer eventually.  Spoke about stopping distances and he made mistakes with the correct National speed limits, so I corrected him.  We spoke about what speed to change into which gears.

Q&A about road positioning.  This is where a funny thing happened!!!  I was about to talking Normal Driving Position, I asked him about how far from the kerb should we position the car?  He said about 1 metre, right then across the road from me I spotted a woman walking a really big white poodle (like Roly from Eastenders, for those who remember) the funny thing was this dog was dressed in a full red dog anorak, all you could see of the dog was its head, tail and feet.  I started laughing at this and the SE looked over at the dog and also started laughing.  I managed to blurt out (still thinking of Normal Driving Line) “And what do we call that?” to which the SE said “Sean, I have absolutely no f*cking idea what you would call THAT!!” (pointing at the dog) he also said that he had a Doberman at home and was wondering how the hell he would get his dog in a red coat like that!!

I had to then pull the conversation back to the driving, we spoke about positioning in a one way street, turning left and turning right.  We also spoke about positioning on left and right bends.

We then spoke about hesitancy and the importance of unnecessarily stopping at junctions also spoke about the walk across rule.

I then set the objectives and we drove on.

Immediately he positioned too far to the right when normal driving, I asked him about his reference point for Normal Driving Position and he said he didn’t really have one.  I pulled him over and explained it.  When we drove on I immediately gave him the reference point and he said he understood.  At the next junction he stopped unnecessarily and put the handbrake on, I asked why he did this and he said that he didn’t want to roll backwards, I asked him about how we can ensure we do not roll backwards apart from using the handbrake?  He said the footbrake, I praised him but asked another way and he said “Clutch control”, Yes I exclaimed, we will try that next time.

Now we were on an open stretch of road and he started going over the speed limit, I asked him the speed limit for the road and he said 30.  I asked what speed he had been doing, and he replied “Just over”, I asked him to keep below the speed limit.

We now found ourselves in a built up area with roads with cars parked either side and also sharp bends, I noticed he was going too fast for the type of road and asked what could happen around the next corner?  He replied “I don’t know because I cannot see round corners”, I said that is the right answer, so now imagine a hazard around the corner, would he be able to stop if doing his current speed? To which he relied he would not be able to stop.  I asked how we could make things safer and he said “I could slow down I suppose”, I praised him for this answer. 

What happened next was Heaven sent……  As we continued down this narrow road, I noticed that there were lots of driveways on the left-hand side and most were hidden by hedges.  So I ask the SE whether he had noticed this? He said he hadn’t, I then asked him about what could happen?  He replied “Well a car could pull out without looking”, I praised him on his answer and asked what could he do to make us safer, he replied “I could slow down a bit”, again I praised him on his answer.  As he slowed down to a safe speed a 4x4 reversed into the road in front of us, he hit the brakes and stopped about 2 car lengths from the 4x4.  The 4x4 driver eventually looked at us and said sorry.  I pulled the SE over to the side of the road, we spoke about the incident and I said that I had stopped him to make sure he was ok and also to praise him for his actions and also the importance of keeping to a safe speed.  I also linked it to the E-stop procedure and praised him for a really good E-stop and his obs after his E-stop (I made sure he checked his left blind spot).

Next thing I know we are pulling into the test centre for the end of phase 2.  I gave him a full summary and then the test ended.

I cannot for one minute tell you that I thought I had passed, but I was proud of the fact I gave it my all.

When the SE returned after what seemed an eternity, he told me I passed, I asked him if he was joking!!!  He spoke about the test and he said “You know that was a good test and I enjoyed myself”.

He said that I received a 6/5 and that I would have received a 6/6, but for one mistake.  This mistake was that at one point we were talking about road positioning in a narrow road (i.e. cars parked on the right hand side), I said to him to position the car slightly closer to the kerb than normal to allow cars to pass, what I failed to do was give him a reference point to use in this circumstance, all I said was “a little bit more to the left” then “a little bit more”!!!!  Quite rightly he said that his ‘little bit to the left’ and my ‘little bit to the left’ are different, with a reference point there would be no guesswork.

What an idiot I was to say “a little to the left”, LOL. 

I will tell you all one thing and I would imagine all those who have passed the part 3 will have experienced.  After the SE had left me alone, I cried like a baby...  the relief at it all being over was overwhelming.  My God I am a 39 year old man who is covered in tatoo's and I sat in my BSM car and cried.

Anyway, I do apologise for the MASSIVE write up.  I hope that this write up will help someone else, the same way that the other write-ups have helped me.

What tips can I give?  Watch the SE like a Hawk, get control of the test from the start and never let go.  RELAX.

ADI Part 1 - Passed July 2006
ADI Part 2 - Passed August 2007
ADI Part 3 - Delayed Pass June 2008
ADI Part 3 - Passed August 2008

#12 13-08-08 17:35:05

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Congratulations and Thank you for the great write up.. I've just started my part 3 training and i'm wondering how i'm going to store all this new information into my tiny little brain.. Reading writes up likes yours and many others is helping me along the way.

Good luck in you new career..  big_smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#13 13-08-08 20:41:13

wolves
Verified Member

Great wright up, well done.
Best wishes Paul

Part 1.....100% & 57  passed 1st Time
Part 2.....4 minors     Passed 1st Time
Part 3.....3 & 3         Failed 1st attempt
part 3.....2 & 3         Failed 2nd attempt
part 3.....3 & 4         Failed 3rd attempt
part 1..Round2..96% & 68% passed 1st time
Part 2..Round2..3 minors 1 serious failed 1st attempt
Part 2..Round2..5 minors Passed 2nd attempt
Part 3..Round2..4 & 3 Failed 1st attempt
part 3..round2..3 & 3 failed 2nd attempt
part 3..round2..4 & 5 PASSED 3rd attempt woohoo!

#14 14-08-08 08:28:04

ceecee
Verified Member

Congratulations again. I loved the write up. It certainly gives me confidence that I can do this. It will certainly help all those doing their part 3 training.

Thanks

ADI Part 1 passed: 28/03/2008
ADI Part 2 passed: 03/07/2008
ADI Part 3 failed: 28/07/2009
ADI Part 3 failed: 30/09/2009
ADI Part 3 passed:07/10/2009

#15 14-08-08 12:56:17

mzamier

well done mate thanks for the write up!!

#16 31-08-08 18:07:16

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

wooow that was a brill write up

WELL DONE TO YOU

em xxx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#17 02-09-08 14:12:33

rooster
Verified Member

Thanks for sharing this info. with us. Very helpful to have the whole experience explained. It has prompted me to be a little more confident as I approach my first attempt.

#18 03-06-09 13:50:58

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

What a great write up, really well done. Maybe the poodle was a guardian angel LOL  big_smile

#19 03-06-09 14:54:05

taffyduck
Verified Member

well done mate a really good write up. i also got a 6 - 5 and again i forgot to give him a reference point dont you feel like kicking yourself for a silly error like that but on the plus side 6-5 is excellent once again well done

Board footer