You are not logged in.

#1 01-04-05 15:25:22

luchell

Worrying about part two test and not knowing the area.

I appreciate that as long as you are to the standard it should not be a problem, the only thing thats bothering me is my trainer has taken me round a flyover in southampton and oh my lord perhaps it will look less confusing if i end up there on my part two as ill be sussing out for myself and not having to think for myself and having my trainer in my ear saying in this lane do this do that.

There are only a few places i think oh god would i know which lane to be in if i went there again it looked so complicated but as i say maybe when im there alone it'll be easier as i can assess it in peace by myself as im quite capable of going strange places and finding my way around without panicking. im just having test nerves a month in advance i think.
Any advice or other peoples stories from how they coped would be so badly appreciated.

I cant find these places again to practice the bits i found daunting as i do not know southampton at all. im hoping my partner will direct me around there before my test we intend on going and having a look at diffucult bits, hes so very supportive he'd do anything to help me get my dream bless him.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

01-04-05 15:25:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Worrying about part two test and not knowing the area.

#2 01-04-05 15:47:15

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi luchell
what would we do without our trainers, eh? They do love to lean into our ears, bless 'em!
I was taken around some of the routes used for Pt 2's in our area the last few weeks before my Pt 2 last year. Luckily there weren't too many really tricky bits... no confusing flyovers for one thing.
Don't forget the examiner will direct you as you go and from my experience and that of others I've spoken to they are not fire breathing dragons... they are approachable and (fairly) friendly.
Mine was good as gold, made me feel really relaxed from the start and gave me good feedback after it was over... "!!!!!!!! hell, I've passed?!!!" was my reply!
Anyway, I know you'll have jitters as the big day approaches, everyone does but I'm sure you'll pass and you'll be on here shouting it to everyone!!
Cheers and best of luck with the training
Shrek

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#3 01-04-05 15:51:20

luchell

Thanks shrek. Hearing other peoples ideas and experiences is one of the great benefits to this forum. i dont what i would have done if i hadnt found it when i did.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 01-04-05 15:54:39

stdavid
Verified Member
Website

I took my part 2 in a place I wasn't very familiar with and a quick tip for your part 2 test is to do a commentary drive in your head whilst on your test. It's surprising how much extra info you pick up.

You'll notice signs much sooner than normal and these will help you decide on correct lanes etc. With a commentary drive you will be looking further down the road which is what all adi's should be doing anyway. It also helps to keep your speed down and you won't miss speed limit signs and pick up minors for going too slowly/fast.

I echo the comments about SE's not being fire breathing dragons on test. Mine was really nice and friendly.

Don't forget be friendly when you meet them and be polite afterwards, you might have them for your part 3!!

Regards,

David Oswald
http://www.dulas-drive.co.uk/ http://www.webDO/Driving instructors in mid Wales, Powys, Ceredigion, Gwynedd, Machynlleth, Aberystwyth, Tywyn, Dolgellau, Bala and Barmouth

#5 01-04-05 16:07:55

luchell

That reminds me, i seem to be hopeless at picking up on some of the speed limit changes there. in normal driving i would always most certainly spot them, once again i think it may be a case of listening away to trainer chatting about what im doing etc like commentary he always says whats the limit here half the time on last lesson i hadnt noticed them!!

i think ill be extra careful on part two test though as im looking for myself if that makes sense. commentary has definately helped me recently. i did alot of it for my iam test to. they make you give a proper 20 min commentary drive as part of the 1 and half hour test. cant remember if he gave me an option to decide if i wanted to give one. dont think i had a choice but not certain

#6 01-04-05 16:17:02

Shrek
Verified Member

Hey stdavid,
good point about the SE's and the part 3... I hadn't thought of that!
Luckily I was all over mine like a rash after he passed me, couldn't do enough for the man... 'can I get the door for you sir'?... 'need any help with that heavy looking note pad'?... 'I'll get the coffees shall I'? big_smile
Cheers guys,
Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#7 01-04-05 16:23:01

Codyakker

I passed my part 2 just over a week ago , I took my test at the Gateshead test centre which is about 40 miles from where I live (in Hartlepool) all my practise was done in the Teeside area (another few miles further south) , but I made a decision to take my test in an area I didn't know , specifically, because I thought it would help me to concentrate even harder.
My examiner proceeded to take me straight onto one of the busiest stretches of the A1 and then right through Newcastle city centre , half of which was covered by roadworks , the traffic was very heavy all through the test and I think I lost about a stone in weight through sweat , but it seems my ploy had worked because he uttered those magic words , 'congratulations , you've passed'.
Just keep imagining those words all the way through your test and don't worry about WHERE you drive just concentrate on HOW you drive.
Good luck

#8 01-04-05 17:35:26

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

It might be worth contacting your trainer and asking where the bits of road you don't understand are and going to visit them. If you can, park (in a safe, convenient and legal place tongue ) and go and look at the junction on foot. Staying on pavements and off of motorways of course. See if they are similar to some junctions that your used to to help you evaluate them.

I took my tests in Southampton and there was nothing to difficult but I am used to driving around Portsmouth. If your used to smaller towns it could be reasonably daunting.

Heres a bit of advice that might help: Road signs, road markings, road users. Look at each as soon as you see them and decide where you need to be and who is going to be in your way.

Speed limits, if your not sure what it is and your in a built up area signified by the street lights, look at the street lights. If you don't see the small reminder signs for the speed limit every 3 or 4 street lamps its probably a 30 so worth staying at 30, otherwise its whatever the reminders say.

The reverse is not always as easy. If there are no street lamps, its not a built up area and usually a national limit, but not always. You MAY get small reminder road signs if its not national limit. I made this very mistake on my part 2 on a bit of country road, missed the speed limit and  stuck to 50 as a guess. It was a national limit so I got a driving fault for not making progress.

Good Luck

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#9 01-04-05 23:22:35

yeah_and_man

You dont usually get any reminders of speed limits after you enter a new road, so it is important to look for new speed limit signs every time you enter a new road!
The only speed limits you can be sure of is 30mph (lamp posts).
Dont get distracted by the over friendly examiner, who will start chatting to you, concentrate on the test!
Good luck, if you are ready you will find this test pretty easy to pass.

#10 10-04-05 21:34:06

drivingwithsue

On my part 2, if we came up to a dodgy roundabout with funny lane markings, the SE actually told me which lane I would need for the exit I wanted. He told me right at the beginning that that was what he would do. As someone said, they're not fire breathing dragons!

Best of luck!

Sue

#11 11-04-05 14:22:24

Alibran

Before I took my part 2 test, I decided to ask the SE if there was anything I wasn't sure about.  On my reverse left there was a wide driveway right where I would have planned to stop reversing, so I said, "Do you want me to reverse past the driveway or stop short of it?"  He said (predictably), "Do whatever you think you should do," (or something along those lines).  I said, "I'll reverse past it then," at which point he gave me the answer I wanted and told me to pretend it wasn't there and stop across it if I wanted to.

If I could see a complicated junction coming up and there was traffic around (doesn't matter so much if there isn't much traffic because you can see the road markings easily), I would probably say, "Do I get plenty of warning of which lane I need at that junction?"  Even if he doesn't answer directly, you'll probably get enough clues from him to tell you which lane you need.

#12 11-04-05 18:34:43

luchell

alibran, great ideas. ill end trying that at least once if we come to an odd roundabout lol

im thinking of going to southampton with my partner so he can show me some bad areas for junctions etc. that way ill have to use my own skills to get us around. as i say, with your trainer its hard when hes still at the promting stage hes chatting away and im wishing hed go quiet so i can fully concentrate at that time.

my last part 2 lesson is next monday. hopefully that lesson will be looking into faults made on my mock (which i took in bath ive never driven there before), i would like to concentrate on developing my reverse park a little more as its my weakest manouvre. the rest im happy with.
fingers crossed anyway lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 11-04-05 19:58:18

Django

luchell wrote:

as i say, with your trainer its hard when hes still at the promting stage hes chatting away and im wishing hed go quiet so i can fully concentrate at that time.

Tell 'im to button it. No really. Tell him you want to concerntrate. If he has anything constructive to say then he should stop you and talk it through. Put yourself in the ADI role and you have a pupil that knows what to do but they have to concerntrate to achieve it. Do you chatter to them? No you just praise them when things go well and if they make a mistake pull them over to the side of the road and explain what went wrong, how they can correct it and then have another bash.

In this case you are the customer. You are paying a lot of hard earned cash to be trained. You call the shots. You pay him for knowledge. Let him give you some then try it. Some of this could be different than you have previously done so you need to concerntrate on it. You cannot do this and listen to him at the same time. One thing at a time listening to him or trying it yourself. If you do both it will take you longer and cost you more money.

Hope this helps.

#14 11-04-05 23:15:59

luchell

yep next monday my final lesson ill tell him to button it :shock:

Board footer