You are not logged in.

#1 31-07-08 18:04:26

Squeak

Don't feel able to progress

Hello everyone  smile I'm Sally, I'm 16 and get higher rate mobility DLA so I'm currently learning to drive after wanting to for years!

I'm really enjoying driving, my instructor is lovely, but I have one problem. I've had 7 lessons now (next one is Wednesday) and we're still only practicing moving off & stopping, gear changes and turning left and right, and I've only driven home 3 times (they're main roads with traffic lights but nothing major). I don't want to sound big headed but I feel at coming up to 10 lessons I should be progressing a little more than this, and I feel able to.

Is this normal progression or should I be a little further ahead by now?

Thanks in advance  big_smile xxx

31-07-08 18:04:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Don't feel able to progress

#2 31-07-08 18:05:36

Squeak

Oh and forgot to add one more thing! When is the best time to start practicing with my Mum? smile

#3 31-07-08 18:40:38

daz6215
Verified Member

Not every one learns at the same pace so DONT rush, its sounds like your instructor may be easing you in gently by allowing you to drive home which will build your confidence up, my advice would be to stick with it for the time being and im sure when the time is right your instructor will move on to new things, as far as learning with mum ask your instructor to have a word with mum when he/she thinks you have the ability to progress with mum also, dont rush!

#4 01-08-08 09:25:39

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Hun,
It depends on the severity of your Mobility as well, we don't know what that is (and that is YOUR choice NOT to tell us) wink Your Instructor will know what she is doing and will know how fast you can pick things up.
My advice is don't try and rush it hun enjoy the experience of learning, you have a lifetime of driving.
I wouldn't advice going for private practice just yet with your Mum, get a few more lessons done first, and gain your confidence on the open road, remember your mum hasn't got duel controls if anything happend, your ADI has wink

Best of luck and keep us informed of how you are getting on.

Giz wink

#5 01-08-08 09:48:00

Squeak

Thank you both  smile You're right, I think I'm just eager to get on the road! Plus I need my licence to get myself to hospital appointments etc  roll

I don't mind telling you my disability, I'm proud to be disabled smile I have M.E, which is a long term chronic illness which causes extreme fatigue, muscle pains, migraines, and I'd be here all day if I explained it more big_smile

Thanks againx xxx

#6 02-08-08 15:32:29

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Hun,

I do know what you are going through and it is not nice at all at times. Their was no need to explain but I admire you for wanting to learn to drive.
Just remember we are here to help and listen to you anytime.

Best of luck hun.

Regards Giz smile

#7 02-08-08 16:15:06

Squeak

Thank you smile xxx

#8 02-08-08 17:07:14

evanadi

Hi Squeak good on you for persevering, and please don't be hard on yourself for what you see is slow progress. Think about the London Marathon, some people take two hours some people take six or eight, the main thing is they all cross the finish line in the end.

Its not the speed with which we learn that counts, its how we use what we have learned to be a good safe and competent driver that matters.

Keep at it and stay positive. Ev wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 25-09-08 16:40:43

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Hi Squeak,

I taught a lady with ME about a year ago. We discussed the limitations this put on her driving so we could adapt each lesson around how she was feeling. She got tired easily and this caused difficulty in concentration. She was also learning in an auto due to pains in her left leg and co-ordination problems. On the week of her second test she was having a bad time with the ME. We had a lesson the day before and she decided to go for it despite feeling bad. She felt bad on the day of the test but found the energy to get through and passed.

She passed in about 20 hours in the auto and occasionally practised in her husbands auto but not often. I could see it was a bit more difficult for her than other pupils but she so wanted to drive she got there.

Good Luck

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Board footer