You are not logged in.

#1 27-07-08 13:49:07

Lianne

Test in own Car

hiya all

i was just wondering what you need to do a test in yr own car.  I'm am Insured on my Nan's car to drive it and have been going out with her a lot in it, and will be taking the test in her car, i have been messed about so much with my instructor and am not going with him any more.  i know the basics just wanna ask so I'm defiantly know what i need.
thanks

27-07-08 13:49:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Test in own Car

#2 27-07-08 14:31:55

HereComesTrouble

Basics will NOT pass you your test, but anyway...

You will need a roadworthy car, taxed and MoT'd if applicable. You will need clearly visible, standard sized L plates visible from the front and rear (not inside car). You will need a mirror for the examiner. You will need insurance to allow you to drive on test where you are NOT supervised. The examiner is an observer, not supervisor so you are NOT under tuition thus your standrad insurance will not usually cover this. DO CHECk because if you take a chance and have a collison, you will end up prosecuted and with a HUGE bill.

HTH

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 25-09-08 16:29:55

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

The car must also have head restraints which the Examiner can adjust and would be effective should a collision occur. Make sure the horn and all the lights work, take spare bulbs. Tyres are in good condition and inflated correctly and there are no cracks or chips interfering with visibility in the windscreen. Also remember the Examiners are normal people (honest) and they get in and out of cars all day with strangers and have no idea how well they drive. When a non school car turns they might have initial concerns that you have had no lessons and they don't have dual controls. Drive well and carefully right from the start to put them at ease and happy they will see their families that evening.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#4 28-09-08 13:13:41

ExAdiNigel

Just an addition onto the insurance issue, many insurances specifically EXCLUDE testing.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 28-09-08 13:28:49

Lianne

my nan has been on the phone to the insurance company and i am covered to do my test in it.. thanks for all yr help

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 28-09-08 16:35:06

Gizmotime
Administrator

my nan has been on the phone to the insurance company and i am covered to do my test in it.. thanks for all yr help

I would consider asking the Insurance Company to put it in writting, that you and the Examiner are Insured to do your test in it.
That way IF anything did happen you would have proof.

Giz

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 01-10-08 17:52:29

ExAdiNigel

Lianne wrote:

I would consider asking the Insurance Company to put it in writting, that you and the Examiner are Insured to do your test in it.

Giz

I agree about checking the car is covered for the pupil to take the test, but what would the examiner need to be insured for Giz?

Nigel

#8 01-10-08 19:15:57

Gizmotime
Administrator

Gizmotime wrote:
Lianne wrote:

Giz

I agree about checking the car is covered for the pupil to take the test, but what would the examiner need to be insured for Giz?

Nigel

Nigel, Some Insurance company's do not cover for test purposes, the learner is not being Supervised as such as they are on test.

Giz

#9 02-10-08 05:09:07

ExAdiNigel

....Nigel, Some Insurance company's do not cover for test purposes, the learner is not being Supervised as such as they are on test.

Giz

I appreciate that, I said that, myself, in an earlier post I was querying the comment you made about the examiner being insured.  Maybe it was just the way you wrote it/I read it. :?

Nigel

#10 02-10-08 18:41:48

guess who
Verified Member

You can also expect a easy test route.

Board footer