You are not logged in.

#1 31-03-05 01:09:46

yeah_and_man

Failed part3 again!

Oh dear, I'm getting used to failing now!
Had pst3, easy, so I thought.
I scored 3/4, better than last time I suppose(pst1 5/2)

What went wrong then?
Well, before leaving the test centre I asked about clutch control, and was told not too bad. Ok "drive off when ready", "you let the clutch up to quick" did core comps etc.
On way to training area stopped too short for right turn into minor, did core comps and "creep forward to correct position" clutch control not bad.
Arrived gave brief, started tir, we are now across the road and we have no clutch control knowledge or ability. I tried to instruct but pupil never did as I said, pupil made every attempt to charge up the kerb, I had to use dual brake 4 times. Spent whole phase1 getting car turned facing the other side and no time left to deal with clutch control and creeping along the side of the road.

Feels like it's an impossible task to pass now as I dont feel I did much wrong, I felt the pupil had reasonable clutch control on the way to training area, and then suddenly lost the ability to use the clutch and listen to instructions.

Maybe I will see it differently after sleeping on it, but it's left me feeling as if I've wasted a whole year, I gave up work last may to dedicate all my time to train for this.

One more attempt, make or break, I cant put my family through this again, it's time to get back to work and earn a living again.

Are there any ADI trainers in the hastings/ eastbourne area?
I may take up extra training, although I dont really think I need it, I have now passed both phases, although not at the same time.

31-03-05 01:09:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed part3 again!

#2 31-03-05 08:09:33

Anonymous

It ain't the real world.  In the real world you could spend the whole lesson, getting the clutch control right, if necessary.  On Part three you have less than two minutes, that's after you have spotted the problem which you have less than a minute to do.

I sometimes wonder whether one actually fails before leaving the centre.

In your case you asked him about clutch control.  Why didn't you ask him to demonstrate, in order to prove it?  Never take a persons word for anything.  Get them to show it.  Retrospective instruction never got an ADI through Part 3.

Once they have you on the ropes you feel as though you are finished.  They know this.  It takes a special person to haul himself up and regain control.

Wessex.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 31-03-05 15:39:21

jeni
Verified Member
Website

hi All

I did this PST with one on my ADI's on talkthrough only and he realised how important it is to CHECK the clutch control on mans by getting the SE to drive slowly forward (zimmer frame pace 1 mile and hour) and backwards

Did you even check the SE could reverse by asking him to demonstrate it?

After all the clutch control may be great (as with one of my pupils) but ask her to reverse and thats it!!!  0-60 in 10 seconds  ---  wink

A classic Q&A re clutch is " do you know how the clutch works?" etc any question which will only get you a yes or no answer is not going to impress the SE

What about

You are on a hill moving off - you remove the handbrake and the car starts to roll backwards -

1)  what will you do to stop yourself rolling back

2) Or what will you do with the clutch

3) Or will you lift the clutch or push it down?

Ask your real pupils 5/10 say put the handbrake on to no 1

most say push it down for no 2 and they dont know what to do for no 2

Remember the part 3 is fairly easy in that the faults that occur WILL be based on the list on the PST with a few small ones (very very obvious ones) thrown in on the way

So for TIR you would expect faults on

Clutch
Wrong gear selection
Obs
Accuracy

This will occur whether it is a pupil or the SE

You say the SE charged over to the Kerb did you tell him about accuracy ie where to position the car to stop (I use creep forward until the kerb appears under right door mirror ) etc

If this happens to anyone else on the first attempt at TIR when it becomes obvious that the clutch control is not there do some straight line reversing and going forward to get that clutch control sorted

The SE does not want you to struggle on making him do the TIR when the FAULT is poor clutch control you still have time to redeem yourself

I am sorry you failed but dont give up

can your trainer sit in the back next time

If I can be of any help PM me

regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#4 31-03-05 16:19:50

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

Hi yeah_and_man

I have sent you a PM.

#5 31-03-05 16:33:23

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi fella,
Sorry to hear your news mate.
I hope you feel better after sleeping on it - I see you were up till the wee small hours posting your note.
It's easy to say 'get back on the horse' and stuff like that but the doing is a different thing, especially after taking one in the gut!
I know your family will give you all the support they can and I'm sure you'll make it on the next try as it's obvious you really want to do it right.
Cheers and the very best of luck
Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#6 31-03-05 22:34:52

Iceman

Hi Mate,

I really feel for you about your result, but it`s clear you can pass as you said, you just need both parts to come together on the same day.

As for your car (on the other post) I`m going to forget it now because your going to need it when you pass next time.

I did 15 years of continental coach driving and probably because of the language barriers with the locals I made a lot of friends of uk truckers over their so I know a lot of the problems you had to cope with, but truckers are made of tough stuff and they don`t give up.
I`m sure you won`t either, get back in there and kick some butt, you can do it and you will do it.

I wouldn`t even try to offer advice on pt3, as you know I`ve just failed myself, but the experienced guys & gals on here will give advice and help  and the rest of us are all behind you.

Keep your chin up,
Iceman

#7 31-03-05 23:21:02

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

Hard lines yeah_and_man, keep going for it try not to stress about it too much (easier said than done).  I passed my part 3 at my third attempt and know of a few guys who passed it 2nd time around i.e 4th or 5th attempt.  It can be frustrating but keep going and you will pass.  good luck for your next go.

#8 31-03-05 23:26:23

yeah_and_man

I'd like to thank everyone for their support!

Woke up this morning with a positive mental attitude!
I know I can do it next time!
It's all a cruel learning curve.
If I fail again, I'll keep going, there's always next time.

#9 01-04-05 19:16:47

Iceman

Thats more like it.

Good man

wink

#10 08-04-05 21:06:20

jack
Verified Member
Website

I was just browsing and saw your post. I really feel for you. Like you I packed my job in and just concentrared on passing my part 3. Scary times it was a case of passing or up the creek. I failed my first attempt and it was a kick in the teeth . Being a christain helped and I just trusted that I would get through. Second time I went in with the attitude that I would kick the SE;s butt around the test route and watch him like a hawk.Sraight in with Q&A and sort out faults straight away. Well I passed five years ago now and am a grade 5 on my first check test. YOU CAN DO IT. Good luck and KICK BUTT !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 08-04-05 22:13:06

Anonymous

jack wrote:

KICK BUTT !

Hey Jack, that's a bit strong for a Christian isn't it?   wink   I know you had it rough with the lions but what happened to forgive & forget?   big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Wessex.

#12 09-04-05 16:29:19

jack
Verified Member
Website

Maybe, but being a Christain doesn't mean you are a push over. A bit of deterimination never hurt anybody. Besides I would choose to face a Lion over a SE any day. lol

#13 09-04-05 17:52:09

Anonymous

Aye, I know what you mean especially for Part 3.  Once passed the check test is far less stressful.  suddenly they're your friend.  As mine said, "Relax, we're here to help you."

Wessex.

Board footer