You are not logged in.

#1 10-07-08 14:37:00

robertjones207
Verified Member

Working Hours

Hi all.

I am thinking ahead to after my Part 3 ( Maybe shouldn't), about working hours.

How does everyone manage their working hours. Do you have a set diary and fit people in that way or do you work your diary round your pupils.

I have looked at a couple of Instructors in my area websites and some have got set hours that they work.

So i was wondering how everyone else did it

Thanks

Robert

10-07-08 14:37:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Working Hours

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-07-08 14:55:19

Target
Verified Member
Website

What you want to do is work mainly 2 hours. There are benefits to the pupils aswell as the instuctor.

I normally start tuition from my house around 9am. The last lesson I complete is around 9pm.

Theres usually a gap in the day to catch up on phone calls and paperwork, I normally do some work in the mornings. At the moment theres bank statements to sort out and the tax bill needs paying soon last years receipts to file and put away....Its a tough job but someones got to do it.

Today I only had 6 hours tuition and just managed a cuppa between 2 lessons, will finish at 6pm, but thats early. neutral

I book around 6-8 hours ( tuition ) per day Mon - Fri......Whilst I work Saturdays I leave this for advance driving and refresher courses Pass Plus ( once a year ) etc etc. I do have the odd one who does a Saturday but tired of weekends now.

I cannot fix the times because nor can my pupils. Its extremely hard trying to fit everyone in and sometimes even with gaps in the diary I have to turn someone away. Thats frustrating

For example at the moment I teach 2 nurses and 2 doctors. All have a different day off each week. I try to predict this as much as possible.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 11-07-08 18:14:54

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Similar to Target, 2 hours sessions, up to 4 per day, few on weekends. set times will not work for the customer, so they will not work for me.

#4 11-07-08 19:35:19

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I get an enquiry, say yes then wonder where I can fit them in.  It's vary rare that I say no to a new customer.  It's summer now so make hey while the sun shines.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#5 11-07-08 21:40:28

Lynne
Verified Member

I do 1.5 or 2 hours and it is hard to have fixed hours if you want the customers as you need to be flexible.

I try to batch certain areas on certain days but it doesn't always work that way.  You get used to who wants lessons on certain days and it's easier to block book some then work others around them.

I tell all of mine at the start of the course I may ask to budge them around a bit to fit and they're not to be scared to ask me either if they need to budge time around so we generally all muddle along pretty well.  If I have a day when I know I'll finish late I might work backwards and perhaps start a bit later in the day so I don't have a gap during the day.

It's weird a few weeks ago Thursdays were my longest day now it's slack as passes and school holidays have meant Thursdays are now more or less free but it won't last long.

In September it will be manic the first week as students go back to college and get their new timetables I'll need to accommodate them.

#6 12-07-08 00:15:52

samds
Verified Member
Website

I have set times, I'll work between 9am to 7.30pm Tuesday to Saturday.  Will only work later or on a Monday if
I want time off during my normal working week.  By working with and communicating with the learners you can
pretty much manage the diary the way you want it to go. 

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#7 11-08-08 16:02:02

Carlo
Verified Member

I try to work set times.  I normally do 3x 2hr lessons starting at 10.30am, 1.30pm, 4.30pm.  This tends to work well as pupils get to know the lessons times and try an fit in smile.  I always get pupil saying "can I have your 4.30pm slot".  You must be flexible with them though, thats the key.

"It's easy when you know how!"

#8 11-08-08 21:26:29

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I try to work set times too and yes you have to be flexible as test times can interrupt a day's smooth progression.
This is easier in school holidays when many of my clients can fill in the unpopular time slots.
Otherwise I try to work around the times that the High Schools get out but this varies between the schools & colleges.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 13-08-08 07:46:57

Target
Verified Member
Website

Reading this thread and once again reflecting on the hours I work recently, it makes you realise how much work we put into our business.

Ive tried dropping Saturdays and for the best part I only have a 1 hour pupil who I teach, the rest is FLH. But with one lady doing a regular 90 minute refresher and the 1 hour pupil whos been with me for about 2 years even starting at 9am I do not get home till gone 12pm, time i get change, have something to eat just clear the office desk its well past 1pm and the days gone.

It takes alot of time and effort just to put a lesson together, and without doing over 6 hours tuition per day you may aswell work at Tescos without the hassle.

Im hoping to get the 1 hour through the test this year and can start to have my Saturday/Sundays back totally without any interuptions.

Nice!

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 13-08-08 13:24:00

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...It takes a lot of time and effort just to put a lesson together, and without doing over 6 hours tuition per day you may as well work at Tescos without the hassle...

That's a good point which I often think about.
The conclusion I usually come to is that I would still rather do this job than work at the local Woolworth's, if the hours and net income were similar.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#11 18-08-08 21:01:50

Veteran Phil
Verified Member

smile I had a caller the other day,  can only do lessons after six pm on a Sunday!
      I used to be a mug, but not nowadays...
      Cheers Phil...

#12 18-08-08 21:34:48

Target
Verified Member
Website

Get alot with 'Withheld'....

Not into Sundays.......When and if the time comes for lessons on a Sunday i think I will give up.

If someone cannot find the time during the week, then they do not need a car to drive. This guy left a message telling me how he wanted it early as possible. Ive had these before at weekends and called back only to be told they cannot do before 12pm.....

Of course and im the next mug whos going to start your next lesson. Think ill start passing them onto someone I dont like.

Like your theory Zipper....I just think recently I have lost all my quality time and working like a dog Mon-Fri/SAt for 12 hours a day....Not finding im really getting anywhere because no sooner the moneys coming in theres a drop in pupils one week and hey presto the average hours have dropped from 40 to 30.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#13 15-12-08 19:22:04

Hale
Verified Member
Website

Target ADI
I would be more than happy with 30hrs as i independent

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Board footer