You are not logged in.

#1 08-07-08 17:41:00

Elaine79
Verified Member

pst 6 Fail write up ;-(

Hi everyone... well yep had my first attempt at part 3 today and sadly failed...not just failed but FAILED with a 3 2 and what seemed to be  a bit of a telling off in my debrief!!! (explain in a bit)....
Everyone's experiences on this site have been really helpful to me so I thought i'd give a bit back....please bear in mind that the test was only a few of hours ago and i'm still in the 'woe is me' stage and i don't want anyone waiting for test to take anything negative from this write up - i did mess up and there was nothing in the de-brief that was new to me, I new the subjects, was armed with millions of Q's for part 2 and felt good, what i wasn't prepared for was the personality that the SE would take on....totally threw me!!

Phase 1 Pedestrian crossings & use of all signals
Ok here goes...signed all the relevants forms clocked that it was pst 6 and tried frantically to remember the month we were in, waved bye to my instructor and off to the car...sat in the passsenger seat whilst the SE took down all the particulars and started searching for the right page, as she got into the car i blurted out sooo it's pst6 then like a mad person, she said yes and went straight into word picture...Basically normal instructor not available for the lesson so i've come along to teach about PC and use of all signals...went through the brief which i thought was ok but on reflection there were a few things i said which the SE really played upon later....first on approach to PC i said that you have to check your interior mirror - i honestly thought it was just your interior as you are not changing your road position, in the debrief i'm sure she said it's interior and right but i could well of imagined it or is it all of them on approach?  I would always tell them to check all around when setting off from PC or traffic lights etc but errr think i got my self confused  ....consequently i didn't pick up when the SE was only using his interior mirror...  The other thing is said in my brief was that on approach to a PC you need to ease of gas and slow down...what i should have said is ease of the gas and be prepared to slow down...the SE actually gave me a clue and said well err how slow  and i replied around 15-20 miles an hour!! errrr spades and holes come to mind!!! As i was coming to the end of the brief the SE had already started to do the cockpit drill so i took this as a hint and got a move on.. Normal checks on moving off.she stalled!!   Told her to bring the clutch up width of pound coin etc and my poor instructor had to watch us bunny hop out of the test center all because i didn't say the words keep your feet still!!  soon as i did driving became smooth...
I think this is where things really started going wrong ( and i hadn't even got out the test center)  I knew there was a PC just round the corner so started got straight onto MSM ..all fine then came to a roundabout..on approach she braked quite harshly eased off then harshly again got round the roundabout and decided to pull her up..i started rambling on about the brake lights being a signal and how you should brake progressively unfortunately i accused her of stamping on the brakes and for breaking too early which i admit was utter rubbish - apparently i shouldn't have even gone there as it was off subject and there wasn't really a problem...the SE then replied by saying 'i can assure you that wasn't stomping, if you want stomping i'll give you stomping, my instructor says i'm really good at breaking early.' in a really firm tone...oh god that was it iwas starting to well up and hadn't even been going ten mins!!  Set off again identified the PC's early talked through MSM (of course missing the lack of side mirror checks)  and she started braking at every PC,  told her that she just had to ease of the gas and be prepared to break (but you said 15-20mph arghhhh)  Sorted that then started to approach too fast...just kept talking about the msm routine but no analysis and no remedial action.  Should have pulled her over again at this point!  She also went to signal when moving out from parked cars, did sort this but could have easily have prevented it with Q and A!!...Final nail in the coffin was a roundabout just before the end of Phase 1...as we were approaching there was a car fom the right that was positioned well to the left but not signalling.left.. i told the SE to stop when she could have made progress which the SE was not happy about at all at the end but i just thought this would be a good point to bring in signals and how we need to be sure people are going where we think they are but errrr no.

Reverse park FLH

Woman been driving for 30 years and wants to learn how to reverse park because spaces are so hard to find these days..  (Had to take the roof sign off for this, put it in the boot and didn't shut the boot properly)  Phase 2 gettin off to a flying start then!  Asked her to show me how she would do it and she said i don't know because i've never done it before....ok full ish brief then. went through brief, got ref points wrong i don't know why but i kinda merged them with a reverse to the left....set off told her how to keep the car moving slowly rather than asking her to which she kept snapping i've been driving for 30years!!    Talked about obs but didn't check fully that she was looking where i was telling her too...i needed to be firm at this point and not let anything go but i didn't.  Of course my ref points were wrong so hit the curb on several occasions with me inventing some might i say genious reasons as to why...unfortunately it was because of me!!  On the drive back to the test center i commented on her pulling out a little too early at a junction to which i got barked at again...i really don't know when to just shut up...knew i'd failed pretty much from the start...I know reading this it sounds like i'm a complete numpty..but i do honestly know this stuff and have done 10000000's of hours training.... I feel so disappointed in myself ..i don't feel as if i got to really instruct in my test.. i spent more time arguing with the SE about faults that weren't there and so completely lost it...  The question now is do i go on a pink licence...i'm hardly brimming with confidence but if anyone has any advice much appreciated!! smile

08-07-08 17:41:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: pst 6 Fail write up ;-(

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-07-08 18:48:52

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Elaine, do not dispair, been there done it got the T Shirt, but passed 2nd time.

Sounds like the brain turned to mush which seems very common.

next time remember, when confronted with a situation, if it is not subject of the PST just ask 'Have you dealt with.....roundabouts/meeting/crashing space shuttles yet?'  They will say yes and deal with it perfectly unless some aspect of it is involved in the PST.  For example she could have messed up her signals on the roundabout as they are part of the PST, but nothing else.

On part 2 you clearly knew you had done badly on Pt 1 so it affected the clarity of your thinking. Do not beat yourself up about it, use it a a learning point.

If you have not viewed the tapes of Blaine Walsh, they are well worth a subscription before your next attempt, have a look here
http://aditraining.tv/frames/frames.asp … ruzegul222

I found a training licence very valuable, it enabled me to get loads of practice and get my approach right.

Good Luck next time

Keith

#3 08-07-08 20:51:15

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Bad luck elaine....theres alot we can learn from failing to make us better for the next attempt  big_smile

Dust yourself off and go back a stronger person, where did u take ur test?

Good Luck  smile

#4 09-07-08 17:26:21

keja33
Verified Member

Yeah bad luck elaine, but dont forget to learn from your mistakes, you will sail through next time   big_smile

#5 09-07-08 18:39:01

Dux
Verified Member
Website

Elaine.

Know exactly how you feel, I failed first time, similar to yourself I went off on a tangent and started trying to correct faults that were not even close to the PST, I got obsessed with the examiners lack of blindspot checks, or so I thought, all this on PST10, had it been about moving off and stopping I may have been okay, but it wasn't. That was the big thing I took from my first test, concentrate on the PST.

According to their remit they can only make errors within the bounds of the PST they are performing, anything else and they are going off course, and consequently sending you off course also, you'll do it don't worry, you sound like you have the commitment to do it, your hard work will pay off in the end.

Part 1 Passed April 07

Part 2 Passed June 07 3 Minors

Part 3 Delayed Success 05/12/07    3-3

Part 3 Passed 20/02/08      5-5

Diamond Advanced Driver 03/06/08

www.polepositiondrivertraining.co.uk

#6 09-07-08 18:51:35

Linda
Verified Member

Elaine

Just wanted to say that I understand how you are feeling, I did a very similar thing to you but even went as far as introducing my car by its name. I then muddled left and right!!!!

Good luck for next time. I'm sure you'll pass, at least you know what part 3 is like now.

Linda

#7 09-07-08 20:50:00

Elaine79
Verified Member

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words and advice..all taken on board xx  I'm still a little bruised but I'm starting to see the light..i'll give it till next week and then i'm gonna look into getting my pink licence, hopefully this'll sort my confidence problem out and restore my mojo  smile  Thanks again...will keep you all updated with 'the journey' and well done Linda, am really pleased for you you must be over the moon.. I think i read your pst post before-made me smile..my car's called stella  smile Enjoy your new career and keep us posted x

#8 12-07-08 18:45:01

HereComesTrouble

You'll get it girl.

You mentioend that she was barking at you a lot, but do remember that she was doing this AS THE PUPIL not the examiner! Very hard to grasp this cencept, but unless they say 'Out of roll, you don't need to worry about that, back in roll' or something, they are IN ROLL as a pupil throught the phase until they tell you it is over.

#9 13-07-08 16:43:54

Elaine79
Verified Member

Hiya and thanks for the advice HCT....yeah i know what you mean i did take it personally at the time and rather than taking the hint from the examiner that i was on the wrong track i at first interpretted it as she was playing a stroppy pupil who i needed to take control of...the more i tried to do this the more the pupil/SE objected and i still didn't take the hint - i then thought OMG the examiner hates me!!!  Stupid i know   
On reflection i was unprepared for the test , not so much in a pst sense, but in my frame of mind and approach, everyone says that you learn so much from your first attempt and i did...i really did!!!  I really wanted to speak to the examiner a few days after the test because i think i was a bit spaced out after it and missed alot  in the debrief, i'm just hopin the SE doesn't think i'm really stupid because i know i could have done so much better....Anyway pink licence applied for today and it's onwards and upwards  smile   

#10 31-08-08 17:35:15

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

ahh well done for trying
sorry to hear that you had not very good results , you will do it next time , im on the oink at the moment i am hoping to do my 1st attempt at part 3 in october
let us know how u get on

em xx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 31-08-08 19:20:51

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

... im on the oink at the moment ...

Hope you're going the whole hog with your training and not making a pig's ear of it

How's your Parallel Pork coming along?

...remember proper training will save your bacon...

OK, I'll get me coat  big_smile tongue

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#12 31-08-08 19:39:48

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

LOL  yep get your coat lol

ooow the o is next to the p

em xxxxxxxx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

Board footer