You are not logged in.

#1 03-07-08 11:34:04

jonesy611
Verified Member

Cyclists

Hi All,

I know cycling is a green way of getting from A to B, and good exercise, and most riders know how to behave. But............

This morning I saw two kids on BMX's, one in the road in front of me weaving from the kerb to the middle of the road so I held well back, while he was shouting to his mate who was riding on the opposite pavement. A few hundred yards down the road, the one on the road didnt want to wait at the temporary lights, so he cut across the road to go on the pavement, while his mate cut across the road, went straight through he red light and carried on half pushing-half riding his bike up the incline into the oncoming traffic.

After the lights had changed I cought up with them riding on the pavement, and managed to hear the annoyed grunt that one of them made as a lady dared to step onto the pavement from her drive....!!!

Don't know if I'm getting all Victor Meldrew here, but if you're on the road, stick to the rules of the road...!!!! :x

Part 1 17.12.2007 87/63

Part 2 09.06.2008 4/6
Part 3 ......who knows ???
Attempt 1 PST1 February 09 4/2
Attempt 2 PST1 (again) June 09 5/3
Attempt 3 PST 7 24.10.09 4/4

03-07-08 11:34:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cyclists

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-07-08 20:34:21

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Alot of road users seem to think they are exempt from rules of the road...car infront of me today turned right at a 'No right turn junction'.....police car behind me....did nothing!   roll

Doesnt seem to matter if its 2 or 4 wheels....theres always someone!

#3 04-07-08 23:11:20

peckerup
Verified Member

never mind the cyclists. what about the dorset horse riders?.
they are the worst of all. i came back home to check the highway code to read whether a half hearted limp wristed request to slow down or stop qualified however, apparently not. the signal should be clear and meaningful. i thought the woman signalling to me was waving to thank me for slowing down however, after a torrent of abuse, it turns out she wanted me to stop for her. possibly a case for the need to keep horse riders in a field the same as argricultural machinery. neither pay road tax so, get em off the road i say !!!.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 05-07-08 00:18:23

den676
Verified Member

Doesnt seem to matter if its 2 or 4 wheels....theres always someone!

Mostly 4 wheels

We were out today with Michelle driving, but as she attempted a particularly testing corner, requiring the front of the bus going into the opposite side of the road to get the back wheels round some idiot honked several times.

Concerned, she lost concentration and mounted the kerb with her back wheels. This would have been a fail on test.

Further up the road whilst waiting to turn right, the idiot started again. Vic, the trainer, with me as back up, got out and asked if there was a problem and suggested that he was bordering on road rage and he would report him if he did it again.

The guy, with his pal sat next to him, just sat there muttering about us being in the way.

#5 05-07-08 17:17:09

Luchell
Verified Member

Yesterday I witnessed something i didn't think a cyclist would do  yikes yikes Well ok a cyclist who wants to live anyway. I always expect the unexpected but this hadn't occured to me for some reason!

Sat at a red light with pupil waiting to join one of our larger multilane roundabouts which are dodgy most of the time anyway thanks to many motorists not knowing what the words 'Lane discipline' are. Again, that's ok, we're used to it. Lots of lorries use them and many drivers will rag it across them from one dual carriageway to the next.

Something caught our attention, a cyclist with no protective gear wobbling from one side of the roundabout to the next going to WRONG way round the roundabout, well he wasn't even going right rond it he was riding anticlockwise attempting to miss car after car as he looked drunk as a skunk!! Watching cars dodge him was a sickening experience!!

I really do feel for vulnerable road users though, two days ago my pupil and I were waiting for oncoming traffic to clear before we did a right turn into the road we needed. Oncoming traffic was a lady in a peugeot and in her blindspot was a cyclist who was blissfully unaware he had been riding in her blindspot! Ok so they should have known better but hey we all make mistakes. Anyhow, the peugeot stops to try and let us turn, we are watching what she hasn't seen, the cyclist far far too near her car and he was going to go straight ahead past the junction we wanted, he was blissfully unaware that the car driver was beckoning my pupils through. We refused to go and the lady turned into a two headed dragon swearing like a mad woman. She leans out the window to comment on how dumb we are for refusing to go!!  After her episode she drove off shaking her head mouthing yet more comments as she was STILL blissfully unaware we had refused because we weren't in the mood to take out a cyclist! GRRRRRRRRRRR

Board footer