You are not logged in.

#1 26-03-05 02:03:23

yeah_and_man

PST No 7

Hi people,

I've got my ADI part 3 second attempt on Wednesday, but I have a couple of questions.

PST No 7 Phase1 approaching junctions to turn either left or right.
Does this subject deal with either a Left or a Right, or Both turns?

Also PST No 4 Phase1 Reversing.
Is it likely that the examiner will ask you to teach the Right reverse?

I hope someone out there can answer my questions.
Wish me luck for Wednesday! I feel ready and up for it.

Cheers,
Adi

26-03-05 02:03:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PST No 7

#2 26-03-05 09:11:50

ck
Website

Hi yeah_and _man.
PST 7 should normaly cover both left and right turns and should therefor be covered in briefing and on the move, however always listen to the SE I suppose if he only wanted you to teach left turns he would make it clear at the start, though I've never heard of this happening.
Yes you could be asked to teach the right reverse.
Hope this helps
good luck

ck

#3 26-03-05 10:30:02

yeah_and_man

Thanks for your help CK!

#4 27-03-05 02:49:54

Mr.Incredible

Whatever the PST, the technique remains the same
Stay in control of your "pupil" and the "lesson".
The SE will exploit any omissions in your briefing.
Get in there with your Core Competancies: "see it, say it, sort it". Don't let the SE get away with anything!
In Phase 1, keep up the chat, instruct them in the procedures as appropriate to the PST
In Phase 2, barrage them with prompts and questions; don't give the SE time to figure in a fault.
Treat it just like a normal lesson. If you're well prepared, confident and authoritative ... and you ensure learning takes place, you will pass!
Good luck for Wednesday

"If you don't know where you're going, no road will lead you there" - Rudyard Kipling

#5 28-03-05 00:32:44

yeah_and_man

Thanks for advice Mr.Incredible,

In the phase2, if I was to barrage the examiner with promts and questions, wouldn't that be over-training?

Shouldn't I Q&A, then observe and assess first, and then identify and correct faults, after all he has learnt the subject previously. :?:  :?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 29-03-05 10:49:03

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi all

What is the difference between over and under instructing

I get asked this millions of times - i have given you a simple eg below

You are doing phase two ped crossings - the SE is flying up to a crossing /traffic lights which is on green but peds are waiting - do you

1) say nothing do nothing (let him do an emergency stop or run em over)
2) prompt him re peds waiting
3) use Q&A - ie re the crossing/ped/lights
4) start telling him to check mirrors - brake - clutch down into 2nd etc etc

1) is under instructing :cry: (not much use except for mock tests)
4) is over instructing  :cry: (use for phase one)

Now HERE is the difficult bit for all you PDI's do you do number 2 or number 3???

The answer is either DEPENDING on how much time you have and how long you take to think of something to say

So - you notice well back and have to time to say "is there anyone waiting to cross at the pelican ahead"  (use your own words) "do you think anyone has pressed the button" etc etc

Or prompt - "the lights may change slow down please"

I really wish that all this was broken down by trainers into bite size pieces and when you learn them you can put them back together

The phase one and phase two subjects are not seperate subjects to be learnt individually but follow on from one another

phase one (new subject)

full talkthrough
part talkthrough
Prompt & Q&A

Phase two (has covered this subject before)

Prompt & Q&A
(part talkthrough may be required if pupil does not know routine)
unaided

So you teach your pupil the Turn in road week one and she has 5 attempts and gets to part talkthrough and mostly prompting

Next week you will start on phase two with her on it and prompt where nec and use Q&A to find out if she remembers how to do it

Hope that helps

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

Board footer