You are not logged in.

#1 21-06-08 13:49:38

wolfchild08

Clearance

Hi everyone.  Until I failed my 2nd driving test I had no problems with clearance - passing parked cars, being sure of my gap when theres traffic on the other side etc.  However since I failed my test for clipping a wing mirror im now finding that im becoming very unsure of my gap and how much room I need to leave when passing parked cars.  Its almost as if I have taken a step back and ive become alot more cautious since I made that stupid mistake in a test. Im wondering if this is just all in my head because like I said I wouldnt think twice about passing parked cars and judging how much room I have before I failed my last test! I was wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me on this.  For example sometimes im tempted to just wait instead of passing parked cars when theres traffic on the other side because I just cant seem to judge that gap any more and the days where I just did it without thinking have gone.  In my last lesson in a residential area there was enough room to pass some parked cars and I waited when I could have gone on a few occassions.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

21-06-08 13:49:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Clearance

#2 21-06-08 17:28:36

Elliot

Hey Wolfchild,

Your nervousness about this is understandable.  My advice is to get your instructor to go to a quiet road with a parked car on and drive very slow past it.  While going past find a reference point for normal clearance (as in when no cars are oncoming).  This is normally when the very bottom of the centre of your windscreen runs through the centre of the parked cars wheels.  Then try again and with help from your instructor get closer to the parked car and see where your reference point is now.  It should be at the top of the parked cars wheels.  This will help with when your have to be tighter due to oncoming cars.  Remember the slower you go the easier it is to judge the amount of space you have.  Less room, lower speed.

All the best,
Elliot

#3 21-06-08 18:47:56

andrews manchester
Verified Member

like elliot said im currently doing m part 3 at the moment and id suggest the same just think the car door may open give yourself room and them room if the door opens that you wont hit it you have had a confidence knock at the moment and it is understandable that you feel this way just get back out and practice you will find it  will come to you it happens to the best of us with mirrors trust me, find a quiet road and find a gap yr comfortable with and that is safe.

good luck buddy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 22-06-08 19:47:09

samds
Verified Member
Website

Look at this diagram http://www.smartlearners.co.uk/Learners … outine.php

Look at the gap between parked car and centre line and the width of the oncoming car and it's lane.

Do you have an instructor?

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

Board footer