You are not logged in.

#1 25-03-05 21:55:15

Iceman

Failed Part 3 - What now?

Hi everyone,

Said I`d let you know so here I am.

I took my part 3 yesterday (first time) and failed miserably. 2/2

I gor PST 2  moving off & stopping / Anticipation, meeting & crossing traffic.

And the funny thing is my instructor asked me what my ideal scenario for the test would be and I said pst2 and the examiner I had for pt2 (he relaxed me as soon as we met) and that is what I got.

We got in the car & I drove to the location,he said in the debrief that was excellent, all the information about msm just right.

Then it all went pear shaped. As soon as I stopped the nerves hit me like I`ve never known in my life, I started the brief from the drivers seat then realised and said something stupid about him understanding it better if we swapped, remembered to say about checking before opening doors and crossing at the back of car.

On my way round all my notes fell out of the folder, by the time I got in the car I was a nervous wreck. I missed out some of the brief, time was going so quickly by now and tried to get him to move, no chance.

He stalled it 4 times before I realised he was selecting 3rd not 1st, by this time I was a mess, I thought it was clutch control, outwardly still calm but inside out of control.

Believe it or not it went downhill from then and suddenly part 1 was over.

So to part2 ( is anyone still with me I wonder), Q&A seemed to go OK, but my mouth was so dry I don`t know how he understood a word I said.

Off we went for the first 5 mins everything was wrong He was awful, I couldn`t think and then suddenly it was like I`d been having a nightmare and suddenly woke up and everything was fine.

At the debrief he even said the last 15mins were excellent what happened?

My answer? I new I had blown it big time there was no more pressure and everything just fell into place.

After now thinking about it for 24 hours there seems only one cure for what happened to me - a bullet in the head, they`d do it for a horse.

My instructor couldn`t believe it, whilst waiting for the debrief I told him almost word for word what the SE said when he came out.

Thanks to anyone thats still reading

The trainer I am with doesn`t do pinks, and that experience is the only thing that I can think of that would overcome the panic of the test situation
(or would it).
If any of you have any ideas I would be very grateful for the help.

A devistated
Iceman (soon to be known as puddleduck)

sad

25-03-05 21:55:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed Part 3 - What now?

#2 26-03-05 00:04:38

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi puddles  wink
Sorry to hear what happened on your 1st attempt mate.
I can't offer much advice as I've only got my first attempt at it in a few months time, but I would say that it was just your 1st attempt and I'm sure you'll do better next time.
On pink licences, I train with another pdi and neither of us can get pinks with our trainer. I've never been sure whether a pink would be of any great help to me whereas he's getting one with another driving school as he feels it will help him... a case of 'different strokes' I guess.
Anyway, sorry to hear your news mate, keep your chin up and very good luck with the rest of your training.
Shrek

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#3 26-03-05 01:49:15

yeah_and_man

Hey, unlucky mate, I failed my first attempt on the 9th march. I had PST no1 scored 5/2, I Know how you feel. Just use it as a learning experience, and try even harder next time. I've got my 2nd attempt on Wednesday, I feel the part 3 test is a very high standard not as easy as my trainers led me to believe. At least we know what to expect next time, I feel the examiner is looking for a s**t hot instructor. Next time take control, watch him/ her closely and dont miss any mistakes.

#4 26-03-05 07:29:53

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi again guys,
just wanted to add good luck!!! to yeah_and_man for next Wednesday.I know you'll be on here shouting the good news later on... and after your 2nd attempt, so will you Ice.
So keep at it and remember, if it was that easy they'd all be doing it!
Cheers
Shrek

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#5 26-03-05 09:04:23

ck
Website

Bad luck Iceman,
Its a good idea to remember the briefing is not that important if you miss anything out you will cover it in the next part of the lesson( and the SE will try to make sure you do by his questions and faults commited) and just as you did when you forgot to change places just make light of it we are all only human including the SE.
When analising faults try not to be blinkered when you assumed it was clutch control you should have been watching him like a hawk every single move to ensure he is doing EXACTLY what you tell him (as an SE told a PDI only last week ) a pupil will not necessarily do what you tell him and if you don't watch him you won't know.
Most of all this test is  about you so imagine this is a real pupul you've met for the first time and you want him to come back for more lessons,so not only do you need to show him what a good instructor you are you have to make him like you and you really want him to enjoy the lesson as much, if not more than you enjoy teaching.
You probably knew this already but its often good to be reiminded and as i've already typed it I'll post it any way.

good luck for next time

and good luck to yeah_and_man

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 26-03-05 10:07:57

Peter Leigh
Verified Member

As soon as I stopped the nerves hit me like I`ve never known in my life,

Yep.. seen it... done it.... got the teashirt.  Its plain odd nerves allright. Much worse than usual  because it was your first time at Pt3. Next time it will only be half as bad. and so on,,

My instructor couldn`t believe it

Why not??? Nerves hit everyone but some dont like to admit it as they think it weakens their character

you cant do more than your best... So you put it down to experience and go for the 2nd attempt.
Best of luck

#7 26-03-05 15:35:34

steveo
Verified Member

hi iceman.

sorry to hear your news.

passed my pt 3 a couple of weeks ago, know what you mean about nerves. i was nearly sick in the waiting room at the t.c. got in the car, mouth went dry so as the se was walking round the car i crammed a load of mints in my mouth. when he got in, realised i couldn't speak properly 'coz i had a mouth full of extra-strongs, so had to sit for a minute or two while i crunched thru' them all, offered him one but he declined!!!!

can't give you any help on how to control nerves, but regarding the pink, i was pink for just over 4 months & i don't think i would have ever been ready for pt 3 without it (unless i was up at the training school every day, which i wasn't). think the pink also helped me with my nerves somewhat, 'cos it gave me the experience of going out & teaching different people every day & getting experience of different scenarios etc. i was always told by my trainers to just treat pt 3 test like a normal lesson & don't let the se get away with ANYTHING.

just my opinion.

good luck for next time.

steveo.

#8 26-03-05 16:19:04

Iceman

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the encouraging comments above, I really do appreciate it.

I AM going to try a second timebecause I really want to do it and know I can (if the nerves will behave).

I`d really like a pink but I couldn`t expect a trainer I hadn`t trained with to give me one, why should he?.
My fault, I but was given the impression at the start that `pinks` weren`t worth it.
Never mind, onward & upward
And thanks again.

Iceman

#9 26-03-05 16:39:38

luchell

bsm are exspensive but after an assessment they will consider you for a pink, i think if you work 20 hrs you get about 6 pound per hour car pupils etc supplied. im going to do it purely to get the teaching experience of real life pupils! ring around and see what you can find out

#10 26-03-05 16:44:30

sparkle

Iceman read your Private Messages !! on top of the page you have  a thing for private messages 8)

#11 26-03-05 18:07:51

ExAdiNigel

The problem with going on a pink is that you can be very tempted to fill up your day with work (it is the mistake I made).  Then you are in a position where you are working all day rather than practising pst's and core competencies.  Don't get me wrong, it can work for some people.

Is there anyone locally that is learning to drive?  Make contact and give a couple of free lessons (you only need the pink if you are charging money or moneys worth), both you and the learner will benefit.

If you do decide to go on a pink, then just contact a couple of the local franchises and ask.  At worst they can only tell you No!  They will probably ask how soon you can start though, they will be making money out of you!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#12 26-03-05 18:38:51

Iceman

HI Folks,

First, I was so tied up with my own problems I forgot so

yeah_and_man - The VERY best of luck on Wednesday, You`ll do it.

As for all you others your support is overwhelming and making me more determined than ever to do this.

I`ll try ringing BSM and anyone else I can think of to try for a pink, and just to reassure you all, If I (or my instructor) thought I would be a danger or unable to help a pupil I wouldn`t attempt it.

Thank you all again

Iceman lol  ( see I`m smiling again)

#13 26-03-05 21:32:09

Nicola1

Hiya Iceman
Percevere ( think thats right ),
Dont no if you've read any of my posts but i passed just short of 12mths ago, 2nd attempt,  and still dont feel like i know it all, i have my check test in about 4wks and feel like its my part 3 all over again. I went on a Pink badge, the bloke that i went with charged £15 an hr an out of that i paid him £5 no franchise at all. I said all the way through that i would'nt go on a Trainee licence but thinking back now it was the best thing i ever did. Keep yourself focussed and you will reap the rewards,HONEST!!! Good luck, and keep us posted x

#14 27-03-05 11:08:11

Kaz

Hi,
Adinigel made a very good suggestion that i think could be useful. He suggested finding a learner and giving free lessons. It doesn't have to be much. I have one guy i work with who i take out for 1hr a week and it really sharpens you up!! I don't have a suitable car at the moment so he hires a duel control car from arnold clark. It works really well and i really think it will improve my chances at part3.
Good luck for next time 8)

Kaz

#15 27-03-05 12:39:39

Iceman

Hi Kaz,

yes I took note of what adiNigel said and to be honest that is the route I would chose, but I don`t have a suitable vehicle and the only learner I know hasn`t got a car himself. He had a few lessons but had to stop because of lack of funds so he would have been ideal.

I have all my time available at the moment and that doesn`t cost money, so if I can get on a pink it doesn`t matter if I "earn" as long as I can cover the expenses, at this stage it`s the experience I need, I`m not bothered about making a profit. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not loaded, it`s just that I really want to do this.

Iceman

#16 28-03-05 00:17:08

yeah_and_man

Hi IceMan,

GOOD LUCK to you too next time round.

Just to let you know If you have a credit card you can do as I have done.
Buy a suitable car on it, and have duals/ second speedo fitted, you can also get driving school insurance as a pdi (and it's well cheap).
Think positive that you'll pass, and spending now is just an investment.

Then you have the tools to teach a couple of learners for free in relative safety, you can do your test in it, and start up business straight away when you pass.

I am teaching a couple of girls for free, and it's real!
Since I failed my first attempt, one of them has told me I have come on leaps and bounds!
This alternative to a pink suits me.
It's just an idea for you.

I'd like to thank everyone that has wished me luck for Wednesday!
I'll keep you posted.

#17 28-03-05 10:13:11

Badger

Your experience Iceman will help you understand what your pupils go through on their tests.

The experience will make you stronger and I would recommend a pink licence to help you gain confidence.

Teaching real pupils and PSTs are one and the same process.  You always tell a pupil what you have in mind for the lesson and you reinforce and even revise the last lessons main points.

Then you apply the core skills in whatever you do.  Spot the errors analyse/explain them and correct them.  If there are a lot of errors sort them out in order of importance and when on the pink think about toning down the lesson a bit.

At the end give feedback and take feedback and then explain what will happen next time.

Hope that helps and good luck for the next step.  Treat your last one as a Mock Test !

BNadger

Board footer