You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 14-06-08 05:49:37

la.monikita
Verified Member

Straight 6’s

Sorry all who had asked me…it has taken a little longer then expected to write about my experience and preparation in getting straight 6’s.

What preparation….? That is just that. I have to say that I hardly prepared.
When I received my letter I was a little surprised as I had my 1st check test in January 2006. Just didn’t think it’s going to come around that soon. I’m glad it did.

So having received the “dreaded” letter, I remembered what many great members of this forum had said about the value of using the “poor” examiner as the lamb whom you take to slaughter  he, he.

The benefits were undeniable. Just to reiterate;
He / she has to prepare on the spot (you tell them the subject on the day),
They can’t write anything down,
They have to work for a change (lol only joking!)
They will turn up for a lesson!
Won’t cack themselves and go to pot!

I’m sure there’s more but I just can’t think of what it is at the moment. Someone can add what they think.

The subject I have chosen was a “disqualified driver”. In my opinion it’s one of the easiest subjects. You simply have a driver next to you, who has acquired loads of bad habits over the years and for some reason (need to establish that!) has done something dodgy and got disqualified.

So my preparation consisted of….thinking about what faults could he try to “fit in”?
Crossing hands (printed a sheet about steering- to give away)

Driving too fast. Thought about what I would say if that has happened. Main thing is a change of attitude. He thinks he’ll get there faster when he goes 35-40 only to be found waiting in the traffic at the next roundabout or traffic light.

Mirrors! Easy to correct, just motioned that the examiner on the L test will be looking for correct MSM, mirrors in pairs.

Obs in general, especially on manoeuvres and pulling away. The key here is blind spot checking.

I have gone with the angle that the experience of a driver will be such that I will never make them feel inadequate as a driver. So once I have established and corrected the faults I will tell them about the advanced driving and moving onto the future after passing the test and becoming an advanced driver. The mindset of a person who is positively motivated immediately changes. They pick things up better and learn quicker. Hopefully will be listing to what you have to say in order to pass the L test too.

I printed some info about joining RoSPA, and some other stuff about the stress when driving.

Route planning was not a problem as I know the area inside out. Initially I planed the first 15min of driving. Pulled up after the first 12 or so minutes. Needed talk about the faults that had happened so far.
I altered the route as we went along according to the time left.

Got him to show me one manoeuvre, towards the end of the hour. I chose parallel parking, as it was something that all drivers do. So I did not have to tell him what to do, just see how he does it and correct faults. Mentioning that the other 2/3 manoeuvres required for the test we’ll do on the following lessons.

He obviously could park the car perfectly but with nil blind spot checking nor any correct obs.

Told him what the examiner will be looking for on the test re obs, but said we had run out of time so the practise will be done on the following lesson and he could practise with whoever was taking him on the practise drives.

We headed back to the test centre. He was very good and by then had no mirror or obs faults left.

In the debrief I just reiterated and praised his immediate improvement in driving, what the examiner will be looking for and why. Gave him the folder I had prepared with the info about stressful driving, “show me tell me”, joining RoSPA. 

The faults he put in on the test were;
Mirrors, lack of blind spot checking, changing down in gears, straight lining a roundabout (very severely), going up to 3rd before a sharp bend and immediately changing back down (lack of planning).

On my debrief he said as an examiner he would not fail candidate for straight lining a roundabout providing they did all correct mirror checks. My answer to that was that as an instructor I had to prepare people for ALL examiners as I have seen my pupils being failed for even slightly missing the lane discipline and I simply cannot give them information which could fail them the test. If I want someone to apply advanced driving techniques I will do so once they have passed the L test.

I still can’t believe I have straight 6’s, but I’m over the moon.
It opens up a number of opportunities for me, the same as getting a RoSPA Gold did.
I’ve always believed knowledge is power, so I do things to the best of my ability and analyse everything to death. It seems to be paying dividends though. Positive thinking is the key to achievement! The mind is the final frontier!
I would love to train people how to drive in Hostile Environments, but it seems that has been put on hold for some reason, so may go into the fleet or work with DIA in some shape or form. Possibilities are endless really.

My marketing strategy will be covered when I have time…

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

14-06-08 05:49:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Straight 6’s

#2 14-06-08 06:29:55

evanadi

Nice write up Monika, and once again well done. Ev

666 means you are a  :evil: clever devil :evil: of an instructor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 14-06-08 06:37:00

la.monikita
Verified Member

Nice write up Monika, and once again well done. Ev

666 means you are a  :evil: clever devil :evil: of an instructor

there are 12 6's in total...does that make me a devil x 4? pmsl

Abraham Maslow

#4 14-06-08 06:41:11

evanadi

I reckon you are a little devil in your own right without the grades anyway Monika wink wink Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 14-06-08 07:00:06

la.monikita
Verified Member

I reckon you are a little devil in your own right without the grades anyway Monika wink wink Ev

...but only in the nice way Ev lol

Abraham Maslow

#6 14-06-08 07:08:02

VandADI
Administrator

Thank you for that Monika, this really is very encouraging after all the bad things I have heard about going for role play.  You did good and deserve the best.

#7 14-06-08 07:37:56

la.monikita
Verified Member

Thank you for that Monika, this really is very encouraging after all the bad things I have heard about going for role play.  You did good and deserve the best.

No matter how good we are, we all need to hear the good words of appreciation.

We all appreciate being appreciated...

...so thank you Vanda and Ev wink

Abraham Maslow

#8 14-06-08 10:55:18

samds
Verified Member
Website

Well done La

Great write-up

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#9 14-06-08 15:47:24

VandADI
Administrator

By the way Monika, what was the "driver" disqualified for?

#10 15-06-08 21:47:23

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Brilliant result and very thorough wright up. - just a thought - the DSA policy on crossing hands for non novice drivers is that the steering should be left alone if it is working for them.  Worth remembering that crossing hands is not marked on any normal driving test or on the Part 2 exam.

Retiring to bunker..........

#11 15-06-08 22:07:15

la.monikita
Verified Member

Brilliant result and very thorough wright up. - just a thought - the DSA policy on crossing hands for non novice drivers is that the steering should be left alone if it is working for them.  Worth remembering that crossing hands is not marked on any normal driving test or on the Part 2 exam.

Retiring to bunker..........

what do you teach then?

Abraham Maslow

#12 16-06-08 20:30:21

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Hi, you asked what I teach, well I dont get desperately excited about how someone steers as long as the car goes where they want it to and they can react quickly if need be ie: not stuck down one side of the wheel.  With beginners I show both Pull Push and Hand over Hand and let them take their pick, if there are difficulties I get them to stick to Pull Push as a starter method.

With more experienced drivers I let them use whatever method they find efficient and effective, I have even had palming round passed on a test although I told the chap that it wasnt favourite and the examiner commented on it but agreed the car went where it was meant to so he passed !!.

I think a lot of time and money is wasted on perfecting and insisting on Pull Push.  Worth a look at the Police Driving Manual.......

#13 17-06-08 06:22:47

LinWebb
Verified Member

Well done with your result la.monikita!!

On the steering thing, its the old debate between best practice and acceptable practice eh?

On the one hand its what you might actively teach a total beginner or someone struggling to control the car...... and then the hints or guidance you might suggest to a more experienced driver!

#14 17-06-08 08:32:24

la.monikita
Verified Member

There are reasons why we taech pull push...right? Air bag is one.

What are the reasons for crossing hands?

Abraham Maslow

#15 17-06-08 17:02:38

Top Marks
Verified Member

Cant be bothered maybe?

well done you!

[IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/markadi_2006/av.jpg[/img]

WWW.Top-Marks-SoM.CoM

#16 17-06-08 19:26:38

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Well to answer some of the comments :

Air Bag - If you are heading in a skid toward an oak tree are you realy going to use Pull Push to avoid it ?  How come the police agree that in high speed chases Hand Over Hand is more effective than pull push ?

Cant be bothered - not worth answering.

Reasons for teaching Hand over Hand :  It is a sensible normal efficient way to steer
                                                      It is more effective at slow and high speed
                                                      It is what your pupils will use anyway

Best practive/acceptable practice   :     So was the old stall proceedure regarded in its day.
                                                      So was changing through the gears in its day.

Surely its time we accepted that either steering method is ok.  In practice this is what the DSA does.   

#17 18-06-08 00:07:34

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

maybe its when the airbag deploys at 200 mph ? you now have a free tatoo?  big_smile well done monika great result  big_smile regards keith

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#18 18-06-08 05:31:07

la.monikita
Verified Member

maybe its when the airbag deploys at 200 mph ? you now have a free tatoo?  big_smile well done monika great result  big_smile regards keith

ta,
Mars also wants to know what time it happened, precisely to the second  lol

Abraham Maslow

#19 19-06-08 20:30:04

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

a BIG well done to you

em xxx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#20 19-08-08 15:43:54

onmyown
Verified Member

Great write up la,mon
So can I get this in my thick head please.
Am I right to assume that the se will not pick a subject, if I have one ready, (check test in Sept 1st)
I have students and gladly lots of them, but none that I could really put a check to, and know they could do it well.
I do like your idea of an extended test driver, and the way you see it, you are right by assuming he/she cannot throw all the part 3 rubbish at you, because he /she is not a learner, and should only make the faults that most drivers make that form into habits.
If you did a little prep for this, what points did the se like on his de-brief, and what did you use, not looking for handouts here, just advice.
Thanks

#21 21-08-08 21:56:37

la.monikita
Verified Member

Great write up la,mon
So can I get this in my thick head please.
Am I right to assume that the se will not pick a subject, if I have one ready, (check test in Sept 1st)
I have students and gladly lots of them, but none that I could really put a check to, and know they could do it well.
I do like your idea of an extended test driver, and the way you see it, you are right by assuming he/she cannot throw all the part 3 rubbish at you, because he /she is not a learner, and should only make the faults that most drivers make that form into habits.
If you did a little prep for this, what points did the se like on his de-brief, and what did you use, not looking for handouts here, just advice.
Thanks

Hi,
I'm not sure I understand your question, can you elaborate please?

Abraham Maslow

#22 22-08-08 08:07:13

onmyown
Verified Member

Monika
Sorry I can be very Vague sometimes, hope my instruction is not the same.
What I meant is, I liked your write up, and I have a check coming up in October, I did think of taking a pupil, untill I read your write up, and it seems a good one to choose.
Will the SE pick the subject for me or, like you can I pick my own, also any tips you could provide has to your preperation, and the points you made on the test, quite obviously put over very well, hence the grade.
well done by the way.

#23 23-08-08 07:10:53

la.monikita
Verified Member

You pick your own subject.
As to preparation- know your subjects inside out, watch pupil like a hawk, don't intimidate, pick on faults but don't victimize. Be very positive as to final outcome-positive thinking achieves everything, nothing cannot be accomplished EVERYTHING CAN!
That's it really lol

Abraham Maslow

#24 23-08-08 07:50:24

onmyown
Verified Member

Thank you Mon

#25 09-07-11 12:05:01

Bella2010
Website

I know this is an old thread! I am going to do this topic in my CT I think. Quick question - during the 10 min assessment drive, do you just observe / make a note of the faults and say nothing, and then stop after 10 min or so and then go over them and start remedying them, or do you mention them as they happen in the ten min drive, (point the fault out and explain you will discuss it further shortly)?

And is it a good idea to throw in a manouvre at the end if there's time, (will the examiner think it bad if you don't)?

Thanks.

Board footer