You are not logged in.

#1 23-03-05 21:53:53

Richofwilts

Part one next Wednesday

I have  my HPT and theory test at Yeovil,Somerset next Wednesday.
I have been studying at home with the DSA double Dvd(theory & HPT)discs for the last 5 weeks and have been getting fairly high results for the mock tests (93/100) average.
I feel fairly confident about passing first time.
I am looking forward to starting part 2, which I will be doing with my local ADI who is also a friend of mine.

Wish me luck big_smile

23-03-05 21:53:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part one next Wednesday

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 23-03-05 22:14:36

Iceman

Hi Richofwilts,

The very best of luck next wednesday, Stay cool and sock it to them.

I bet you were surprised how many questions you new when you first started on the cd`s I know I was. All the answers are in your brain, just take the time to really read the questions, sometimes you can skim the question and the wrong answer looks like the right one. I made that mistake in practise but made dam sure I didn`t in the test. Theres plenty of time and even being careful I completed in 35 mins and got 100/100

Again, Good luck

Iceman  smile

#3 23-03-05 22:33:18

Richofwilts

Cheers Iceman, how did you do on the dreaded HPT part ?

Rich. :?

#4 23-03-05 22:47:23

Iceman

Hi Richofwilts,

Before the test and practising on the Focus cd rom I decided it was a game of chance, a bit like russian roulette, and the danger was that I would learn the clips and start getting good scores and think I was good at it.

So, I left it alone for a while but cheated and looked at the videos that show where you score.

Now, the next bit worked for me, but I don`t know if it is right or wrong.

I decided that as a (very) experienced driver, almost 40 years of Car, Taxi (including London Hack), bus and continental coach I was seeing the hazards earlier than a learner would and thats who the clips are designed for, so I trained myself to delay a second before clicking and it seemed to work so that`s what I did on my test. My score wasn`t great (65/75) but it was a pass.

I still believe that the HPT is a game of chance and not a true test of  real hazard perception, but what do I know?

It`s the nearest the DSA can get to a classroom test for it  so I suppose it serves a purpose.

But don`t take what I said as any guide I was probably just lucky on the day.

This seems a bit doom & gloom but I should add, because you won`t have seen them yet, that the clips on the test are very good, a lot clearer than on the cd that I had and taken from the roof of the car , not inside as the focus clips are.

So chin up, you can do it and loads of people do.

Iceman

#5 23-03-05 23:28:52

ExAdiNigel

As I'm sure has been mentioned several times, treat it as much like real life as is possible (not easy I grant you!)

As soon as you see a potential hazard, click the mouse once.

If this hazard starts to develop then click the mouse again.

If it continues to develop and you have to take avioding action click a third time.

So, plan to click 3 times per hazard that develops.  Worked for me and has been mentioned by several others.

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 24-03-05 14:10:11

Rauxaman

I tried the 3 click routine but I got a red cross for rythmic clicking... even worse this was the clip with the two hazards in it, 10 marks gone!!!
So I failed and had to re-take the test the next week, got a good score the second time but I was clicking more carefully.

Don't lose sight of the fact that you are interfacing with a computer, treat it like a computer game and don't forget the rythmic clicking rule (that is part of the game) like I did.

And good luck smile

#7 24-03-05 15:51:49

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

I used a tip someone posted on here, click for each potential hazard then again if you would check your mirrors and again when you would take action i.e brake - however dont fall into the trap of click,click,clicking when the car doesn't slow down as I did in practice.  I also found that the clips on the day were much clearer and they seemed to develop quicker than the ones on my ldc cd.  It worked for me 71/75 even though I was physically shaking and felt car sick from the motion of the clip lol

It'll be fine big_smile
Alex

#8 28-03-05 00:46:33

yeah_and_man

You can learn the theory, but you cant learn the HPT!

Try to get good scores on your training CD everytime!

Also experiment by clicking too often to determine when it will freeze you out!
I feel this is important because you need to click often... but how much is too often?

I got frozen out of an early clip, and was up against it from then on!
I scored 100 and scraped through HPT.

Good luck!

#9 30-03-05 20:28:29

Richofwilts

Thanks for all your advice, but today I failed part one.
Got 93/100 for theory and 53/57 for HPT ( Horrible Partof Test)
I don't know want went wrong as I have been getting much better results at home.

Damn now I will have to go back next week and try again.

:cry:

Cheers Rich

#10 30-03-05 20:51:44

Iceman

Hi Richofwilts,

Bad luck mate but well done on the theory part. But that HPT is another thing, I`ve posted elsewhere my views on that ITS A GAME OF CHANCE.

Sorry for shouting, but don`t beat yourself up over it, you know you can do it now and even the HPT won`t be as new next time. Try and remember the HPT is designed for learners and as an experienced driver you`ll see the hazards earlier than them so `click pause a sec click` for every development of the hazard, try it on the focus CD and watch your scores go up, but in my opinion it is not a true test of any skill so don`t feel bad.

Best of luck next time

Iceman

#11 30-03-05 20:55:07

Rauxaman

I failed my hpt first time too!

Tends to concentrate you for the second attempt... just see it as a learning experience. It's not like conventional driving hazard perception is it? More like a computer game.

Bit of a fag to have to do the theory again though!

Keep at it!

#12 31-03-05 01:23:29

yeah_and_man

Unlucky
keep up the practise, you'll do it next week!

#13 31-03-05 21:41:57

Jellybean
Verified Member

The HPT is a nightmare.  I have been practising on the focus CD but I can't get to grips with it.  I am trying to treat it as a game as I feel that is the only way to make it work.  The fact you can't see round the corner as you turn, you don't even know if you are going to turn is just so stupid.  You have no idea what speed you are doing.  On one of the scenes the problem is the car that comes up the side of you.  If you had a mirror you would already have seen it in your mirror and also in your peripheral vision, so how can they tell you off for not clicking for the damn car. 

I know everyone says the image etc is better on the actual test but I am not looking forward to it.  I also find I see 3 hazards within a short space of time, ie pedestrian, car at junction and perhaps a roundabout.  I consider them all potential hazards but the cd doesn't.

Ok finished rant now, feel better for the moment, I will keep practising.

#14 01-04-05 00:07:46

luchell

jellybean, those you mention are potential hazards so give that car waiting that you see a click because it could turn out to be the developing hazard, the scoring one as it were. so you click for anything suspicious click again if it seems to develop a bit and you as a driver would want to check mirrors think about maybe having to brake etc. then a final click should sort it as the car stops, slows down etc. click for those you mention as they could well turn out to be what you're looking for.

Obviously that final click as the cars about to come to a stop is probably the end of the scoring window so probably worth 1 point the click before that may have been the start of the scoring window so you will hopefully get maximum points per clip for giving it a few non rhythmic clicks as the scene seems to develop just to make sure you score in that blooming window which is totally unpredictable!

Good luck to you for next time round. I felt so confident with the questions but i knew i'd just have to try as hard as possible for the hpt i actually had my fingers crossed on my other hand i was that desperate for me to get it.

It's very sad when theres no proper way of preparing for the hpt,but i wish you good luck for your next test. its just one of those the part one i think.

Board footer