You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-06-08 13:36:56

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Techy help needed - Graphics packages!

After finally updating my laptop, I've realised that the graphics package I used to use (micrografx picture publisher) doesn't seem to work on Vista.

The unfortunate thing is that it was one of the best packages I've used - all of the others seem unnecessarily complicated.

Does anyone know of a patch to fix this?

If not, do you know of a good, simple and understandable graphics package which I can use to add text to pictures, with simple tools like shadows for the text, and an ability to make imported pictures transparent so that I can see the background through them.

I've tried a couple of free download programs - serif photoplus - which simply locks up whenever I try to use it, and gimp, which seemed useful, but when I try to scale down logos and things it actually makes them bigger!

Help!

09-06-08 13:36:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Techy help needed - Graphics packages!

#2 09-06-08 14:22:22

AndyBerry

Not sure of any patch/fix, however try Adobe photoshop or fireworks. Both do similar jobs to those you've described. Fireworks in particular is quite good for effects.

Andy

#3 09-06-08 14:26:33

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Andy, unfortunately the cost of both of those is prohibitive.

I've been trying photofiltre as it's a free download, which is great, but I can't get it to do one of the things I need, which is to import a logo, then have the background disappear. (Imagine a black background with a white logo - import that onto a picture of a blue sky - I want to see a white logo without a black box around it if you know what I mean?)

I wouldn't mind paying for a simple effective package, but realistically, anything more than about £50 is just out of my league.

#4 09-06-08 17:32:01

dog
Verified Member

If you send me the logo, I'll erase the background so it's transparent wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-06-08 19:57:47

whodareswins
Verified Member

After finally updating my laptop, I've realised that the graphics package I used to use (micrografx picture publisher) doesn't seem to work on Vista.

The unfortunate thing is that it was one of the best packages I've used - all of the others seem unnecessarily complicated.

Does anyone know of a patch to fix this?

Hi Tim,

There probably isn't a patch available because Corel took over micrografx back in 2002 (I think) and the further development of picture publisher was quietly allowed to fizzle out. I think the latest was Version 10 (from memory)

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#6 10-06-08 07:51:23

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Yep, they seem to have bought the company in order to kill off half of it's products.

Thanks for the offer dog, but I need to be able to do this myself! How do you make the background transparent? Which tool does this?

#7 10-06-08 15:38:03

dog
Verified Member

In Photoshop, make a new image with the same dimensions as your logo and set the background as transparent.

73944748vf7.png

Paste your logo in.

64638886fq3.png

Grab the lasso tool or magic wand and select the part you want to get rid of. Since the background of my example logo is a solid colour with no gradient and the logo graphic and text are contrasting, the magic wand should do the job pretty well.

93828858gp3.png

Clear the selected area

56812075on8.png

Now just tidy it up with the lasso tool and get rid of the rest (such as parts in enclosed letters, etc. I couldn't be arsed to do it as I have to go to work very soon, but you can make it look much better than I have with just a few minutes effort.

#8 10-06-08 21:34:36

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Nice tutorial!!

Thanks dog, I'm gonna have a quick zoom through the packages I'm playing around with and see if any of them will do something similar. I'm currently using photofiltre, gimp and paint.net.

Paint.net seems the most simple to use (useful for me) but I still can't find some of the simple things, like a diffuse edge to a painting tool. I think there's a transparency option in it, but I haven't got a grip on the whole thing yet. I certainly don't know how to blank out the whole background!

I'll get back to you once I know exactly what I need to do and why I can't!

I may need to download a copy of photoshop after all, I know there's lots of places you can do this - are they legal?

#9 11-06-08 16:00:45

dog
Verified Member

No.

#10 11-06-08 16:01:52

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

#11 11-06-08 16:14:46

dog
Verified Member

smile

Board footer