You are not logged in.

#1 08-06-08 14:29:30

andrews manchester
Verified Member

worried about part 3

anyone got any ideas to help pass my part 3 with a wicked instructor who things ill pass it first time just find it hard to get in the role of instructor and use the right phraseology i.e i say put the clutch in instead of press the clutch down to the floor and set the gas etc any ideas id love to get a grade 5 but everyone telling me its not easy and ill probably fail first time.

ive been drivingg years i got advanced and passed theory 100/100 67/77 and part 2 only got marked down with 1 minor money is really tight and ive manage to do up to now with 10hrs part3 for approx £800 including tests.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

08-06-08 14:29:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: worried about part 3

#2 08-06-08 15:11:31

HereComesTrouble

You will fail part 3. Why? because you want to. Now, when I say that I mean that you have already decided that you won't pass, so you won't. Why not start by telling yourself you WILL pass? No point doing anything if you think you will fail. No point at all taking a part 3 exam unless you are 100% certain you CAN pass it.

Terminology takes practice. Sit in the drivers seat and talk yourself through the cockpit drill - not as easy as you might think.BUT it does get easier with practice and determination.

Part 3 is easy - IF you are prepared and IF you want to pass and IF you really put the effort in. Just turning up with an 'oh well, I'll probably fail anyway' approach isn't going cut the nustard with the SEADI.

#3 08-06-08 15:39:38

VandADI
Administrator

I would agree with HCT in saying that part 3 IS easy.  With only 10 hours into your part 3 training so far, and your part 3 test next month, my advice would be to postpone your test.  I understand that you say money is tight, but scrimping on your part 3 training will not be enough to get you through, choosing a good quality trainer will not be cheap though, so take your time, postpone your test and make sure you are 100% confident you will pass.  If there is any PST that you dread the most, you are not ready to take the test.

#4 08-06-08 15:40:24

onmyown
Verified Member

I failed first time because I thought i was going to I DID
2nd time I just said what I knew, and did what I knew, and got through, I have a check test on tues am I bothered, NO not really.
Terminology comes in all shapes and sizes, as long as it is safe and understood IE
Right, turn left at the junction is a definate no no.
right I want you to go straight on at the roundabout.
The word RIGHT is confusing.
This is just an example, but good look and post back when you pass 1st time.

#5 08-06-08 15:47:40

VandADI
Administrator

Another good example of terminology is the use of the gears.  eg 1st gear forwards, 2nd gear backwards etc., not 1st gear up, 2nd gear down  wink

#6 08-06-08 16:09:50

andrews manchester
Verified Member

thankyou everybody for your feedback, im not saying ill fail i work better to tighter deadlines and pressure and for some reason learn better. my instructor craig is a grade 6 ordit registered and a good freind he got my car licence and helped me through my theory he was chuffed i got full marks and we both amazed i passed the part 2 with just 2 hrs before test.

saying that i drive to a high standard in my car and on the bus as im a pcv driver holding the nvq to so drive roughly 60 hrs a week which i think is helping a great deal with this course as i practice in the car and bus.

i managed to teach my wife to drive and she passed her test first time with only 6 minors im doing the advanced with her at the mo

as for the right turn left heehee thanks i already did that first time and craig said dont as its confusin lol i understand why after he turned right.

the gears thin is a good one and i will use that when im out on wednesday craig things i will do it in 30 hrs on wednedsday wouldve completed 16hrs personally i feel i will pass first time just dont want to appear cocky

#7 08-06-08 16:29:10

onmyown
Verified Member

give over man BE COCKY the rest of us are hahaha

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 08-06-08 22:11:09

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Don't confuse being a good driver with anything to do with part 3.

It is a test of instructional ability. The SE (playing the part of a pupil) wants you to show you can TEACH. He knows you can drive.

Part 3 is very easy, if you can get in the right frame of mind. When you get in the car do not think of the person sat next to you as somebody who is testing you. They are the pupil you are the teacher. They will tell you what PST they have selected. Do not get hung up on that. It is a framework for you to work in. Where most people fail is they cannot treat the SE as a pupil and they get too wrapped up with PST's. For example if the PST is use of mirrors/ES, but the first thing you come to as you set off is a roundabout, the "pupil" will do something wrong at the roundabout. If all your thinking about is the PST you'll miss the mistake.
Your "pupil" will try to make mistakes, where possible pre-empt the mistake, if you can't then TEACH them what they did wrong. And don't forget to tell them why it's wrong.
Small point on terminology by the way, don't say straight on at the roundabout - he'll take it literally  smile

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#9 09-06-08 09:07:17

onmyown
Verified Member

I really think this terminology is taking off quite well, it is a great insight into correct tuition.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 09-06-08 19:02:21

VandADI
Administrator

I really think this terminology is taking off quite well, it is a great insight into correct tuition.

Avoid using words like "on ramp" when referring to motorway slip roads  wink

Motorways are very safe and the place to take extra care is the on ramp( when cars and mainly trucks join the motorway) when a truck sees another truck coming down the on ramp he will most likely indicate very briefly and pull over

#11 09-06-08 20:07:56

onmyown
Verified Member

vanda
you are right about the on ramp, it was just me trying to type fast, but i hope the recipent got what i was trying to say.
I stand corrected sorry for the mislead

#12 10-06-08 07:06:20

purrfectsystems
Verified Member
Website

One to bear in mind is that at anytime during your test you feel that you are "falling to pieces" just let the SE know, they will be understanding and may go out of role for a minute or two to let you catch your breath

#13 17-06-08 06:53:35

HereComesTrouble

You have just hit it on the head. The examiner DOES understand you may feel anxious, nervous, butterflies etc. They Do want you to pass. They DON'T want you to fail. If you mess up, talk to them just like a pupil.....

' Sorry Steve, I didn't explain that very well. Let me start again. Before you emerge you must check a minimum of right, left and right again. Can you think why?....'

Don't be afraid to say 'I messed up' and start again. I did exactly that on my part 3. PST 7 approaching junctions. Gave the worlds greatest brief on left turns, forgot completely about right turns. Did 4 or 5 lefts then the Ex said 'get me to take the next road on the right' as we drove along a high street. I then realised my mistake, thought I had blown it BUT carried on. I started with.....

' OK Dave, I want you to take the next road on the right. Now I forgot to cover this at the beginning so I will guide you through. Check your mirrors and......'

Once in the new road, I pulled him over and then apologised and covered the right turns. We then moved on.

I passed with a 5/5. Why? because I did what any instructopr would have done with a pupil. I didn't lie, try to cover up, blag my way through. I put my hands up, admitted I hadn't explained it, didn't panic and guided the pupil through under instruction. Job done.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 17-06-08 07:32:25

purrfectsystems
Verified Member
Website

You have just hit it on the head. The examiner DOES understand you may feel anxious, nervous, butterflies etc. They Do want you to pass. They DON'T want you to fail. If you mess up, talk to them just like a pupil.....

Thanks for that HereComesTrouble, a small factual write up like yours has the potential to help LOTS of PDI's out there smile

#15 17-06-08 14:38:02

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

' Sorry Steve, I didn't explain that very well. Let me start again. Before you emerge you must check a minimum of right, left and right again. Can you think why?....'

Don't be afraid to say 'I messed up' and start again. I did exactly that on my part 3. PST 7 approaching junctions. Gave the worlds greatest brief on left turns, forgot completely about right turns. Did 4 or 5 lefts then the Ex said 'get me to take the next road on the right' as we drove along a high street. I then realised my mistake, thought I had blown it BUT carried on. I started with.....

' OK Dave, I want you to take the next road on the right. Now I forgot to cover this at the beginning so I will guide you through. Check your mirrors and......'

Once in the new road, I pulled him over and then apologised and covered the right turns. We then moved on.

I passed with a 5/5. Why? because I did what any instructopr would have done with a pupil. I didn't lie, try to cover up, blag my way through. I put my hands up, admitted I hadn't explained it, didn't panic and guided the pupil through under instruction. Job done.

very good info there HCT
[i had my 1st lesson today on pink it went really well ]

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#16 09-09-08 04:27:46

tommyxxx

hi there wereabouts in manchester are we could team up together if u like im in southmanchester let me know if u fancy doin some traing togther

Board footer