You are not logged in.

#1 15-05-08 23:53:29

dog
Verified Member

Picking up bad habits

Well just out of curiosity, how long did it take from passing your test until you started doing things differently from how you were taught?

I've only been driving since the end of January but already I have completely ditched the push-pull method of steering in favour of palming. It's much easier for me and you can turn the wheel much faster.

I also coast up to red lights and traffic queues a lot.

When bay parking I don't use the reference points, I just measure it in my mind and 99% of the time I get it right without having to reposition myself.

My emergency stop method is slightly different, I don't brake hard, I brake my hardest, pedal to the floor. It's the quickest way to stop and thankfully I've only ever had to do this once (when someone swerved in front of me on an NSL road and decided to lose control).

Things like mirror/bs checks ALWAYS get done though, as they are incredibly important.

Being a young male I probably fall in to the stereotype who puts big air filters and exhausts on their cars to make them go faster, when in fact I am not, the only performance modification I have done to my car is to the braking system, which ironically makes the car stop faster rather than accelerate faster.

15-05-08 23:53:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Picking up bad habits

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-05-08 00:11:04

DEE

Hiya Dog

Long time no see  big_smile

OK here is my 2pence worth
I do try really hard to drive the way I was taught
The only bad habit that I have picked up that I can think of is that I leave my hand resting on the gear stick once I have changed gear instead of bringing it back to the wheel...naughty I know  sad

When im bay parking I dont use referance points anyway. And nine times out of ten I reverse park into a bay not driving into it.

I never coast up to traffic lights or queues though

Its good that you do all your mirror checks and B/S checks you are right...They ARE important

I think everyone of us as some faults

Noone is perfect.....Not even me  yikes

Dee

THEORY PASSED 1ST TIME...20 JULY
PASSED 14 DEC 10 MINORS!!!!!
IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
SUCCESS COMES IN A CAN NOT A CANNOT!!!!
event.png

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 16-05-08 03:55:32

ExAdiNigel

Well just out of curiosity, how long did it take from passing your test until you started doing things differently from how you were taught?

Interesting thread to raise Dog.

I've only been driving since the end of January but already I have completely ditched the push-pull method of steering in favour of palming. It's much easier for me and you can turn the wheel much faster.

It is easier, but it also makes it much easier to lose control of your steering.  What happens if the air bag goes off?

I also coast up to red lights and traffic queues a lot.

How old is your car?  How well maintained is it?  If your engine cuts out then you have lost your power steering & any braking assistance.

When bay parking I don't use the reference points, I just measure it in my mind and 99% of the time I get it right without having to reposition myself.

Nowt wrong with that.  The reference points were only there to help you initially until you gained that 'feel'.  Which is you using reference points subconsciously.

My emergency stop method is slightly different, I don't brake hard, I brake my hardest, pedal to the floor. It's the quickest way to stop and thankfully I've only ever had to do this once (when someone swerved in front of me on an NSL road and decided to lose control).

Do you have ABS?  Braking in this manner without ABS is not the quickest way to stop.

Things like mirror/bs checks ALWAYS get done though, as they are incredibly important.

Being a young male I probably fall in to the stereotype who puts big air filters and exhausts on their cars to make them go faster, when in fact I am not, the only performance modification I have done to my car is to the braking system, which ironically makes the car stop faster rather than accelerate faster.

Glad to see the mirrors / blindspots are continuing.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 17-05-08 23:26:54

dog
Verified Member

It is easier, but it also makes it much easier to lose control of your steering.  What happens if the air bag goes off?

Good point. I don't know, but I'd probably do the same as most people, which is panic and brake. Then again I wouldn't ever, ever expect them to go off randomly, and if they were to go off then it would probably because I have hit something or something has hit me, in which case it's likely the car will have come to a halt anyway. I expect I *could* end up with a broken arm.

How old is your car?  How well maintained is it?  If your engine cuts out then you have lost your power steering & any braking assistance.

It's 9 years old and well maintained (2 lady owners and most recent owner was a mechanic). I'm aware that if the engine cuts out then I will lose power steering and servo braking. However, it is possible to steer and brake without assistance (much harder, but still possible). I've had to do it before once when the battery ran flat, and although it's not easy, it can be done.

Do you have ABS?  Braking in this manner without ABS is not the quickest way to stop.

Yes, or at least I think I do.

Glad to see the mirrors / blindspots are continuing.

Of course, there's nothing more important. So often I see people moving between lanes without boring with B/S check or even mirrors altogether. I've come close to being swiped from the side from said drivers, luckily I'm more alert than they are.

#5 18-05-08 07:15:40

ExAdiNigel

Good point. I don't know, but I'd probably do the same as most people, which is panic and brake. Then again I wouldn't ever, ever expect them to go off randomly, and if they were to go off then it would probably because I have hit something or something has hit me, in which case it's likely the car will have come to a halt anyway. I expect I *could* end up with a broken arm.
Broken arm, yes plus broken nose perhaps or even blinded?  Do you wear a wristwatch?  That could be embedded in your face too!

Yes, or at least I think I do. 
Look in your handbook as to the warning light that would come on if there was a problem with the ABS and check if that light comes on briefly when you first turn the ignition on.  If it does light up briefly, you have ABS.

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 18-05-08 19:02:10

dog
Verified Member

I don't wear a watch and the handbook and warning light on my dash suggest I do have ABS smile

Board footer