You are not logged in.

#1 15-05-08 16:36:45

jo

Steering wheel

Hi again.  Is it normal to hold on to the steering wheel with a really firm hold, my arms appear to be rigid. My father has been teaching me to drive and keeps commenting that I need to relax my grip on the wheel.  I wonder if this is why many of my movements, e.g. when going round a roundabout, turning into a road etc. are so jerky?  Can anyone help with this please?

15-05-08 16:36:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Steering wheel

#2 15-05-08 18:49:22

Shazzer

You should ease up as you get used to it, try to relax your arms a bit, I found something was always tense! arms, hands or feet, but now it's ok!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 15-05-08 19:23:52

ExAdiNigel

Also, your arms should not be straight.  If your arms are straight and you are involved in an accident then you have 2 dislocated shoulders! 

When you are holding the steering wheel, are your thumbs through the steering wheel or along the wheel?  They should be along the wheel, for 2 reasons.  One it helps relax your grip and two, it helps prevent your thumbs being damaged in an accident!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 15-05-08 19:49:01

driverpete
Verified Member

Imagine you are gripping eggs; try not to break them or drop them.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#5 15-05-08 22:24:55

Philso
Verified Member
Website

Or a tube of toothpaste with no lid!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ---  Albert Einstein 8-)

www.drivewithphil.co.uk

#6 15-05-08 23:18:32

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

A relaxed grip is the way to go as mentioned above.
In olden days when I was young (here we go again   roll ) we were taught to "hang" our arms from the ten-to-two or eleven-to-one position, to enable relaxed steering on very long trips. Wheel rims were thinner in those days and did not encourage a relaxed grip.

These days wheels have airbags so a lower position is preferable to prevent your arms getting in the way if the airbag deploys.
I teach "relaxed grip, arms slightly bent, thumbs along the rim, hand position just above quarter-to-three".

A good way to check your distance from the wheel: sit in your normal driving position and stretch your arm horizontally in front of you with hand palm down (something like a horizontal Nazi salute). Your wrist should rest on top of the wheel rim.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 15-05-08 23:20:40

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

think of examiners as boxes of eggs - you dont want to break one . with steering or with feet  big_smile  so a slightly  relaxed grip is what you are after - not a tight rigid grip - cars everyware relax! take your time. sure you'll be fine

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#8 17-05-08 13:28:21

littlemissbitch

i used to do this many moon's ago when i first started learning for some reason in my head i must of thought if i grip the steering wheel tightly it would make me safer lol , i think the more you get used to driving the more it will ease

Board footer