You are not logged in.

#1 07-05-08 17:48:23

wolfchild08

Considering cancelling my test

I am considering cancelling my test due to fears that I may not be ready.  Today I did some very stupid things.  It may have been busy but I really thought I could handle these sitchuations.  I was extreemley hesitant at a roundabout and my instructor said I waited too long and there were at least 3 gaps I could have gone into.  Another thing was I stalled on two occasions when taking a right turn.  Yes there was alot of oncoming trafic and it was rush hr but it doesnt do much for my confidance because I feel with the test near approching there are still occassions I hesitate in busy times and maybe im not as confident as I should be for a test sad
I also felt a rush of blood when having to keep stopping and starting in busy traffic uphill, in fact this is something I know im going to hate doing when ive passed my test.  My other problem is sometimes I find it hard moving down the gears and trying to anticipate how slow or fast traffic is going to move in order to decide which gear to be in and what speed I need to be going (this is my problem with the uphill traffic mostly).  I keep feeling theres still going to be things I need to get used to and sharpen up on even if I passed.  Maybe im just not ready and im just kidding myself.  I just dont know.  I guess what im trying to ask is do you think it is normal to feel this way with a test fast approaching? do you think im perhaps being a little hard on myself? or should I just cancel sad

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

07-05-08 17:48:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Considering cancelling my test

#2 07-05-08 18:23:26

L33d5.dr
Verified Member

Hi Wolfchild,
    You have to go with what your instructor says.Some of my pupils still make the odd mistake in lessons just before their test but that doesn't mean they are no longer good enough to take it.If they were making lots of mistakes that could be dangerous then I would tell them to cancel.You don't have to be perfect to pass your test but you do have to be safe.The mistakes you mentioned are still made by people who have passed their test so try not to worry too much about them.Roundabouts take lots of practice so just take your time.I've had many pupils stall on their test and still pass so as long as you do the right thing it's nothing to worry about.If you do make a mistake just try and remember to not do it again rather than worry about it.If you keep thinking of the mistake you could be distracted from things happening further up the road and that's when things start to snowball and get worse and worse.
Good luck

#3 07-05-08 20:41:05

Shazzer

How long until your test?? I've got a few weeks till mine, and although need to brush up on things and have started making some daft mistakes, my instructor has said they should be ironed out in time for the test.
Just try to relax and do things at your pace, I used to panic when it was busy and try to do things quicker and then stall!

#4 07-05-08 21:19:22

iwanadrive

I didn't feel i was ready for my test but am glad i did it, although i didn't pass it was actually great to see how well i could drive without my instructor there and to get someone elses opinion on my driving.  At the end of the day, is there ever going to be a time when you feel really confident about it?  Also you could go in there being confident and relaxed and fail, there is no guarantee.  I still dislike rush hour traffic and when speaking to other drivers who have only recently passed they have said they are still not keen on rush hour traffic and avoid it if possible, its something that will come with time and practice.

Best of luck with it all and go with how you feel.

#5 07-05-08 21:30:25

wolfchild08

My test is next week.  I wouldnt say that im incapable of passing at this stage.  I just need to avoid these panic sitchuations.  When its busier im more than likely to stall.  Ive told people the things I sometimes have problems with and they say im being tough on myself and it would be far worse if I crashed than stalled! Must be doing something right I guess LOL.  I think as the test is nearing im having them last min nerves and doubts.  Who knows I may feel happier when its over and done with.

Iwanadrive - where I live there is this steep hill thats always full of traffic during rush hour so your constantly having to use the clutch up hill and at the end theres like the busiest and worst roundabout I have ever been on! It has a crossing at the top as well.  I would say I will still hate going up it in rush hr when I pass for a long time.

#6 07-05-08 22:42:34

Iwant4Wheels

I feel the same as you mahn. Uphill starting/driving or simply just stopping in traffic on a hill i hate. I live in Bristol, so there's alot of hills!
For some reason tho, i don't think about it and i havn't been told i'm doing it wrong yet. Fingers crossed it stays like that (:
I get really nervous before each of my lessons, but once im in the car, im fine.
You should do your test, everyone gets nervous, just the way of life. Goodluck if you do it!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 08-05-08 21:57:44

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

The driving test is easy to pass BUT its also easy to fail if that makes any sense to you all. yikes
You can stall the car 15 times and still pass, so long as you don't make any other minor faults.

If you think you can drive for near 40 minutes without making any serious or dangerous mistakes such as making another driver do any of the 3 S's ( Slow, Stop or Swerve ) because of you then that's half the hassel. Don't forget to stop at a Stop sign.

With my pupils I get them all to play the Slow and Go game where we pick a nice long straight very quiet
road and get the pupil up to 4th gear then ask the pupil to start slowing down by I saying SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, GO!  by the time I say go, the pupil will still be in 4th gear and perhaps only doing 10mph the pupil must then think which gear should I be in for this speed, he/she must change down to 2nd gear in this case before going back on the gas peddle. All my pupils find this useful and fun too, but off course there should be no cars behind you even by a good long shot.

Good luck and enjoy the test

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 09-05-08 15:12:31

Serpico
Verified Member

You can stall the car 15 times and still pass, so long as you don't make any other minor faults.

Don't like arguing with a fellow instructor, but if a candidate stalled 15 times on test they would be failed. A minor mistake repeated that often would be regarded as an habitual fault and turned into a serious.

#9 09-05-08 18:47:47

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

You could be right there Serpico, I just don't want to make the pupil panic even more otherwise.

I believe in real terms you could stall the car 4 or 5 times before it becomes a serious, but I hate to tell the pupil that or else they will get even more nerv wrecked, hope you see where I'm coming from here, and have had no pupils to date fail there test due to frequant stalls.

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#10 09-05-08 21:54:09

Shazzer

< runs in and slaps wolfchild08 > Snap out of it!! Hee hee............ chill out!! :afro:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 10-05-08 13:48:17

wolfchild08

< runs in and slaps wolfchild08 > Snap out of it!! Hee hee............ chill out!! :afro:

Yes mum tongue

#12 13-05-08 12:51:37

littlemissbitch

Don't cancel , i was like this thinking i wasn't ready and i passed , i knew my driving was up to it and that i was safe but knowing someone was going to be watching my every move i wasn't up to that , but i did it and i passed so you can too , if your instructer think's your ready then go for it , i did silly thing's on my lesson the week before my test

#13 14-05-08 16:43:57

Shazzer

Good luck

Board footer