You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-05-08 11:44:02

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Sound or No Sound?

Hi All

I have a website www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk

I have been told I should remove the sound bite I use to attract my students. What do you think?

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

03-05-08 11:44:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Sound or No Sound?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#2 03-05-08 12:22:45

DampDog
Verified Member

I have been told I should remove the sound bite I use to attract my students. What do you think?

Personally I think it would be better without.. If you happen to visit the site once it's novel, if it's somewhere you'd visit regularly I think it would become irritating

Think I'm gonna have a go at doing a little site for myself, so I've been browsing the members list and having a peek at peoples sites looking for ideas, styles and elements that I think work well. Should be a bit of an adventure. smile

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#3 03-05-08 14:44:37

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Tony, on the original thread in which your website sound effect was discussed, I didn't "tell you" to "remove the sound effect". It's your site, you have every right to put whatever you want on it...

What I did say, was that from a "good design" perspective, sound effects on websites tend to have a more of a negative than a positive effect on visitors, and therefore, unless it is essential to have a sound effect, it's better to not have sound.

I cited the example of potential customers looking around for driving lessons, browsing whilst at work, college or on any other public computer, who may not appreciate being embarrassed by suddenly having revving car engines, beeping car horns, screeching brakes or anything else of that nature (all examples of sound effects I've come across on instructor websites) suddenly blaring out of the speakers and causing everyone else in the vicinity (such as their boss or their teacher etc) to look at what they're doing, or annoying them sufficiently so that they immediately click off that website and go somewhere quieter (i.e your opposition).

The basic principle of good website design is to make a site appealing enough so that people stay and look around - not to give them a reason to leave...

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#4 03-05-08 20:38:19

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Loopy

I put this question on this forum to see what the other people think I respect what you have said. It is just I want other peoples comments before removing the sound bite.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

Board footer