You are not logged in.

#1 14-04-08 20:15:56

Dempsey

Having a problem with clutch pedal

Hi guys, im new here as you can guess smile
well basicaly i passed my driving test last week but i'm having a problem; My driving seems perfect, the only problem im having is when i'm crawling along in trafic and i need to keep pushing down the clutch pedal ... i use my heel as a pivot but once i press the clutch and release it this way, the clutch slides down my foot, so when i need to put the cluth back in its like half way down my foot ... and again untill its at like the bottom of my foot and i push it in and my foot gets trapped when i release eventually sad. if i dont use my heel as a pivot and release the clutch using my whole foot i have alot less controll. is their any solutions for this or does it make no sence at all? smile :afro:

14-04-08 20:15:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Having a problem with clutch pedal

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 14-04-08 20:34:02

chrisbakeradi
Verified Member
Website

Hi lots of people have this problem. The "biting point" on your car is probably higher than you were used to in your instructor's car.
The advice i give to my pupils is try and use your tip toes to push down the clutch and bring it up almost  to the biting point at which stage if you rest your heel on the floor and pivot on that you should find it a lot more comfortable. It's probably just a case of getting used to it. try practicing on a quiet road with no other traffic until you feel more comfortable.

Good luck and well done on passing the test.

Have you thought about the pass plus course the clutch thing is something you could get your instructor to help you with.

Chris

#3 06-05-08 12:26:56

BassGirl
Verified Member

When Im teaching I tell them to use the ball of the foot squarely on the pedal and use the leg to lift the pedal slowly rather than the foot. I think its because my clutch is quite high, but theres no way you can do it with the heel down as the pedal just slides up the foot instead.

#4 06-05-08 13:45:29

Lynne
Verified Member

Depends on foot size too.  Size 4 teeny feet people don't have as much to work with as the size 11 feet blokies!!

When I drive in bare feet (as I do .. let's not now open a can of worms on this  neutral  ) even with size 7s I can't pivot my foot for clutch control in a queue, it's a leg job.

As Chris says, go somewhere quiet and practice until you build up control and get used to it.  The last thing you want is the clutch half way down your foot and you lose control.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 06-05-08 15:37:29

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

When I drive in bare feet (as I do .. let's not now open a can of worms on this  neutral  )

DUELY OPENED :police: :police:

to be honest nothing wrong in my books, i have done it in the past and found it to be comfortable.
I drove from Manchester airport to my house in bare feet, 3 hours on the Motorway, I only had flip flops coming of the plane, my shoes were in the suitcase neutral

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#6 06-05-08 20:15:20

Luchell
Verified Member

I'm sorry guys but i just have to comment on the can of worms that's opened  sad

Ekal, Not a hope in my car unless you bring a nose clip and dettol spray to wipe the pedals clean  lol tongue lol

For those who didn't know i have a most definate phobia of bare feet driving  lol

#7 07-05-08 17:04:50

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Ok This is my take on the clutch controll thing.   I try to get pups to keep their heel on the floor but not all are comfortable with this method.

When you bring the clutch peddal up, make sure that it is the calf muscle that is contoling the speed at which you release the peddal.  Bend your ankle, don't lift your knee.  Let the spring in the clutch push your foot up.   When you bend your ankle,it acts like a damper.  You can only bent it so fast and this slows the rate at which the clutch engages.  If you lift your knee then it is more difficult to controll.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Board footer