You are not logged in.

#1 03-04-08 17:18:26

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Elderly Drivers

I witnessed a very worrying incident today while out teaching.
We found ourselves in a tailback of traffic on a 50mph road at about 30mph.  I soon realised the problem was being caused by a Ford Focus and we watched several other motorists tailgating and out doing dodgy and dangerous overtakes.  We eventully became third behind the driver and I could see it was an elderly male wearing glasses behind the wheel.
we approached the St james Interchange which is a large roundabout over the M8 motorway and as he arrived at the give-way lines he made no attempt to stop but carried on out into the path of cars coming from his right.  There was the screech of brakes and blasting of horns.
I was later caught behind him on a two lane dual carriageway at 25mph on a 40.  My learner could not get out to overtake because the outside lane was very heavy with cars going at the speed limit.  Then to my amazement, he suddenly changed lane without signal or checking his mirrors to turn right.  Again... Screeching of brakes and blasting of horns.
This was a 'T' registered car and his two brake lights were not working, all that showed was 3 small led lights on the top rear window.  The other led's were out. This tells me he is probably not maintaining his car.  Yes, we can all have a brake light out (usually happens to me as we are about to go into test centre) but for the two out at the same time is more than coincidence.
Also, he was carrying two passengers who were oddly sitting in the rear seat.

I was so concerned about this situation I have reported it to Strathclyde Police.  It is a difficult subject to deal with in proving that driver is unfit to drive.  I am sure today's episode was not drink related but more the age of the driver.
Why do we not have more legislation to deal with such drivers.
I am aware of other drivers who were a long time on the road after they should have been.  The doctors had advised them not to drive but went against that advice.  Not all doctors will report medical problems to the DVLA.

In my own case, I had to steal my father's keys to prevent him from driving.  He had been diagnosed with a brain tumour which gave him the same symptoms as dementia, yet it was only my actions which stopped him driving.

I will update this thread if I hear anything further from the Police but I wont be holding my breath !!

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

03-04-08 17:18:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Elderly Drivers

#2 03-04-08 17:59:48

hector
Verified Member
Website

Im going to change my staistics on fleet course saying elderly drivers are the safest  yikes yikes yikes

He didnt recently do an NDIS course in Stafordshire did he big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#3 03-04-08 21:07:54

Shazzer

Slightly changing the subject heading, I also find worrying people who have passed their test years ago but not driven for years, then decide to do so!! I found out after talking to a neighbour, she had gained her license 23 years previously but had never driven since! then one day she gets a big Rover car and off she goes! Needless to say she had a lot of scratches and bumps on it very soon, and all the curtains were twitching when she tried to park in our cul-de-sac.
My father in law (who does not drive), referred to her as "the woman doing the 17 point turn outside" big_smile

#4 03-04-08 21:11:44

jazzyc
Verified Member
Website

got stuck for a while behind an old woman this morning at 730am doing about 25mph in a national towards alderly edge Huge queue of traffic behind her totally unaware of what was going on behind her

#5 03-04-08 21:23:52

driver69

Don`t know what the problem is, sure one of the many police patrols should catch dangerous drivers like that.  Ohh no wait, I forgot they have all been replaced by cameras.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 04-04-08 04:16:06

ExAdiNigel

I witnessed a very worrying incident today while out teaching.....
I was so concerned about this situation I have reported it to Strathclyde Police.  It is a difficult subject to deal with in proving that driver is unfit to drive.  I am sure today's episode was not drink related but more the age of the driver.

I'm going to be pedantic here (no change there then!).  The chap may be suffering from some condition which may or may not be age related, but the cause of his behaviour isn't simply age!

Why do we not have more legislation to deal with such drivers.
I am aware of other drivers who were a long time on the road after they should have been.  The doctors had advised them not to drive but went against that advice.  Not all doctors will report medical problems to the DVLA.

That could be simple to change - put some of the responsibility of the carnage on the road onto the doctor.  Similar to the corporate manslaughter - if a driver causes an accident and the doctor has examined the chap and advised him not to drive but hasn't reported the condition to the DVLA than prosecute the doctor.  That would work wouldn't it?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 04-04-08 12:27:16

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Yes I totally agree with you there Nigel.

I just hope the Police found themselves in a position to interview the driver and assess what the problem was and perhaps discuss the matter further with his GP without the doctor having to break his confidentiality rules.

#8 04-04-08 19:22:48

Rockin
Verified Member

ell Said Nigel it might not be age related. I have seen atrocious driving from all age groups and I find it's mainly the middle aged that are the most dangerous drivers. They think they know it all and are the ones that normaly overtake in dangerous places and do most of the speeding.( I'm middle aged)

#9 17-04-08 21:32:51

irene1946

Looked at your post with interest, I passed my test at 59, am now 61 and when I am driving consider myself the greatest danger on the road.WHY? Because I keep to the speed limit on every road that I am on. I now hate driving, I only do it for the convenience of being able to take myself where and when I want to go. I am overtaken, undertaken, have gestures made at me and horns sounded, just for obeying the rules. Should I join the rest of them and have the dont care about other drivers attitude or carry on as I am. It is quite intimidating and I find the younger drivers the worst. I for one would like to see more police and speed cameras on the road.

#10 17-04-08 21:44:20

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Hi Irene... The original entry was about a very dangerous driver.  I am glad to hear that you are driving properly and you should be very proud of that fact.  Please keep up this excellent standard and don't be put off by these other morons.  Do not allow them to intimidate you.

Enjoy your driving and the freedom it brings.....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 17-04-08 22:06:25

den676
Verified Member

I for one would like to see more police and speed cameras on the road.

Ya can't have both Irene.

Most forces now don't have Traffic Cops because of speed cameras.

But cameras don't catch dangerous, drunken, careless or incompetent ones.

#12 17-04-08 22:29:06

irene1946

Thats why I would like to see more police on the roads, I am always happy to see a police car in front or behind me, because I know then that the prats will behave

#13 17-04-08 22:35:01

gs1974

I was driving up to a zebra crossing with a central island yesterday. There were 4 schoolgirls walking one way and an old guy on a mobility scooter coming the other.

He went flying across one side at what must have been full speed and went straight into the girls on the other side. At least one was hurt. He wasn't even aware he'd done it. Whether it was his eyes or his mind which were lacking is anyone's guess.

#14 17-04-08 22:40:37

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 had a very interesting phone-in last week on his lunch time show on the subject of elderly people using these mobility scooters.
Some of the callers had some horrendous stories including one where a lady died after being knocked down.
These scooters are causing big safety concerns just now...

#15 17-04-08 22:47:57

gs1974

In some areas they're just overused.

In this particular area (council estate) there are hundreds of them. Our local paper even had a story a month ago of how a mobility scooter rider was mugged... and promptly got out to chase his attacker!!!

But you see grossly overweight people pigging out on chips riding them - they'd do better walking and stopping eating chips, then they wouldn't need the blo00y scooter.

Or there are people (I know one) who have a twinge and immediately get a scooter because it is a freebie. What they don't realise is that by not keeping physically mobile they heading towards an early grave.

Of course, some people need them or benefit greatly from them through no fault of their own. But a hell of a lot just have them because they're free or subsidised, and are lazy.

But whether they're deserved or not, they're a bl00dy menace a lot of the time.

Board footer