You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 03-02-09 15:29:01

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Re: Possibly the worst test result in history....

If you feel that your driving is not that bad then why wait till June to resit? The longer you put it off without proper controlled lessons the more bad habits you could develop. If as you say driving will be more essential shortly then get lots of good practice with a good instructor NOW as the longer you leave it the more 'under pressure' you could put yourself.

The OP would have resat her test in June 2008.

This thread is now nearly a year old.

It seems fairly pointless commenting, let alone taking the original poster to task, for things that were current to her in March 2008...

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

03-02-09 15:29:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 03-02-09 15:37:26

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Sorry, hadn't noticed the date of OP. The thread had just shown up as recently posted in so I'd assumed that it was a new thread.

Could that be why she hasn't replied?   big_smile

Even so then perhaps this post is relavant to some one in a similar position.

#28 03-02-09 18:25:21

hector
Verified Member
Website

Bet the b ugg er still hasnt passed now so probably still relevant  big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#29 25-04-09 15:39:28

mazmw

I haven't been in the 'instructor game' long but have been a driver for 40+ years. In that time I have seen good, bad & indifferent standards of driving.

I knew one who after passing his test only drove 1.5 miles to the pub for a meal as this was the only road he was comfortable on without an instructor alongside. Over the next year he got more ambitious and acutely drove the whole 7 miles to town (had used the bus every time leaving the car at home). I had only been passed my test a couple of days & was driving all over the north east in areas I never been to by bus, car or train. This was 30+ years ago when traffic was lighter, how he would have coped today I dread to think.

Another driver of many years took 5 Min's & shunted more than 30 times & was still 2/3 of the cars width from being correctly parallel parked. As he was blocking the driveway a newly qualified driver parked it for him first time in less than 30 seconds (something he had been doing since he was 16 years old).

Examples could go on for weeks but I will only use these to show the difference of being able to drive & being able to pass you test, two entirely different skills.

I had to go to Peckham once, the directions given to me (from county Durham where I was) were 'Go to battersee & turn left, the depot is on the right'. No map, no stopping for further directions or anything, I followed the directions & got straight there no trouble. Most of my journey have been made without using maps.

As for your comment about things going pear shaped in your instructor car as it was bigger than yours all I can say is that I learned to drive in up to 10 different cars of different sizes 5 days a week. My first lesson  (very first time I moved a car was at 15.5) was a reverse left (down a slope then turn left between two rows of cars 1.5 car widths apart) with my 'instructor' in the car in front, hand on horn & 2 ft off my bumper glaring at me. I had to deal with it or not drive.
Once I was old enough to get my licence & take lessons I had more than 10 'instructors' (only one driving instructor), lessons in at least 4 different cars, unsupervised private practise in more than 300 different cars & passed within 4 months (second attempt).

Get used to it, a car is a car. If you can drive one then you should have no problems driving any, it only takes a few minutes to get used to the small differences.

I don't mean to put down your partners skills but private practice can hinder your progress unless your partner is pointing out your mistakes as your instructor would otherwise your instructor will have to spend too much time correcting the developing bad habits.

If you feel that your driving is not that bad then why wait till June to resit? The longer you put it off without proper controlled lessons the more bad habits you could develop. If as you say driving will be more essential shortly then get lots of good practice with a good instructor NOW as the longer you leave it the more 'under pressure' you could put yourself.

I wouldn't recommend the way I was taught to anyone & won't go in to some of the situations my (so called) instructors put me in to but if nothing else it taught me to
Expect the unexpected
Deal with it when it happens
Not to panic no matter what happened
That 'proper' driving was EPLS (easy peasy lemon squeezy) in comparason to my training

I use the above as part of the training program I put my pupils through although I wouldn't dream of doing anything that was unsafe (unlike that which was do to me which bordered on dangerous most of the time).

If you really feel your instructor is just 'taking you for a ride' financially then change instructors, If you feel the same about the second instructor then perhaps the fault in not with the instructor but with your driving.
Where ever the fault lies, learn from it, deal with it, LEARN to DRIVE
then go in for you test & you will pass.

I am a learner who despite my first instructor being dodgy (i failed my test and on the way home found out he was not fully qualified to teach and failed his part 3 although when i began he portrayed himself as fully qualified) i found another instructor (fully legal i made sure) and after two lessons with him i have realised where i have been going wrong, before i was so eager to get through my test i was blind to my instructor being fake and only focused on my test, now i realise i want to learn how to drive not just pass my test. The wonders a new and legal instructor can do for you, if only i had found this one in the beginning

#30 25-04-09 17:21:47

Luchell
Verified Member

That's great news that you are back on track hun. Look at it this way, better late than never  lol I always wish i found this forum earlier when i was training years ago but i then realised i was just grateful to find it when i did. It makes a world of difference if you enjoy your lessons  wink

#31 26-04-09 13:43:24

mazmw

yes it does and having a legal instructor helps lol but thats the past now i am just going to concentrate on what my new instructor says and not even think about my test til I am confident in my own driving ability.

#32 26-04-09 16:08:35

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

yes it does and having a legal instructor helps lol but thats the past now i am just going to concentrate on what my new instructor says and not even think about my test til I am confident in my own driving ability.

Your first instructor was still a legal instructor....just not fully qualified. They should have made this clear to you tho.
Glad your getting on better with your new instructor tho smile

Evon x

#33 26-04-09 17:59:18

pass with debbie
Website

your first driving instructor was a PDI and not a ADI but would have been licenced to teach but has not passed there ADI part 3 exam

#34 27-04-09 07:50:21

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I would just like to say that if your instructor has a licence then he is a legal instructor. Without a licence he can instruct (but not claim to be qualified) but not accept any payment whatsoever. A PDI is not alway less experienced than an ADI, it is just a matter of paper qualifications.

I had a pupil (well more than 1 actually) who said I was a much better instructor than the one they had had previously (full ADI for many years). At the time I knew I had not had the experience I required to do the job as well I should .

I pupils only learn with ADIs with experience then in years to come there will be no instructors for them to learn with because, although new one have passed their part 3 they'll not get the experience because no one will learn with them until they do get the experience. Catch 22?

There are plenty of learners who are good drivers but can't pass their test (nerves or whatever), same with PDIs.

#35 27-04-09 20:54:24

mazmw

But thats just it he somehow had a green badge it just was not real and he was claiming to be a fully qualified instructor it was only at the test centre he swapped the badge to a pink one and when i asked why he said not to worry he would explain after my test, which after me failing my test and pushing him was when he told me he cannot teach me no more as he is being prosecuted, as he as only ever been on a pink license and he failed his part 3 three times within 6 months and now his time limit had run out - what ever that meant, and yes he was charging, Just as much as my new instructor who is fully legal and a grade 6. Now i want to learn how to drive not just pass my test like before.

#36 27-04-09 21:03:32

adi3122

Well that was very unfair he was clearly not legally allowed to teach as for your new instructor i am glad things are going well just remember there should be a record of your progress being kept so you know when you are ready to be a safe driver and ready to take your test and have a very good chance of passing.

#37 27-04-09 23:12:02

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Well Mazmw he deserves to be prosecuted.

When training to become an ADI you have to pass Part 1, a theory test (more questions & higher pass mark), you then have 2 years in which to complete your training and pass a driving test (part 2) & an instructional test (part 3). You are allowed up to 3 attempts at your Part 2 and 3 at your part 3.

If you fail 3 times at either you must wait until the 2 years are up before starting all over again.

The DSA will allow a PDI (trainee instructor) to work for 6 months on a pink licence to gain additional experience (after completing a set amount of training) before you are required to take your part 3. If you work as an instructor you must work for a SOM who will act as your sponsor. Some PDIs don't opt for the 'pink' and will train by other means before taking their part 3.

I started training to be an ADI because I see so many below standard drivers. I wish I could blame it on the young and/or newly qualified on the basis that their have not gained all the experience they need but I can't, it's young, old, male, female, newly qualified, drivers with years of experience and from all walks of life. I teach pupils to drive, passing the test comes second. I would suggest that the majority of both PDIs & ADI do the same, but there are 'bad apples' in both 'barrels'.
I'm sorry you lost money to an absolutely rotton one.

Good luck with your new instructor.

#38 28-04-09 16:22:45

mazmw

Thank you to all that commented. Yes i am gutted i wasted so much money on him but i am trying to put it down to a bad experience and now i am not worrying to much about the test i now have a fantastic instructor who in 3 lessons i have already learned more than i did with the previous guy (no surprise really i suppose) and now i want to learn how to drive not just pass my test. I am so impressed with this forum as well, i did not realise just how much help and advise there is to assist learners until now wink

Board footer