You are not logged in.

#1 31-03-08 15:42:11

Mrsfreer

Possibly the worst test result in history....

Hi guys,

I started learning to drive in September 2007, after 3 attempts at my theory (June, August and Nov)i passed 24th Nov 3rd time lucky.

I have done 44 hours driving with my instructor and bought my own car January 13th 2008. I got my insurance and practised with my partner in between lessons. I would drive to and from work which was an hour, so around 5 hours a week plus if we went into town at the weekend. I soon found driving with my instructor in her car very difficult, it was much large than mine and everything seemed to be going to pot. She seemed to keep putting me down and on my 44th hour she booked a further 12 hours of lessons. Frankly, i felt as if she was taking my money and i was loosing my confidence at driving all together. By this point i had already spent over £1000 and i couldn't afford anymore. I was taking my test in York and she was booking all my lessons where she was based (half and hour from York) most of my lessons were done in the dark and some days i would be waiting at work for several hours as she couldn't do a lesson until 6.45pm. Then she started cancelling lessons and at one point i went over a month without any lessons.

So i set out learning by myself with my partner, after my first week i felt so much more confident, i stopped making silly mistakes, i stopped coasting and in general i became more relaxed. I had my test booked for 4th Feb which was cancelled in late January due to "unforeseen circumstances" (this was whilst i was still with my instructor) so i re booked for the 19th Feb and stopped lessons with my instructor.

AGAIN my test was cancelled. This time i got all the way to the test centre to be told it was "too foggy"!! So again my test was re booked, my third attempt.

I waited and waited and waited... no letter came through the post. So i decided to check on line to find out my test date. I was a week away. I had been given no notice what so ever and if i didn't have the internet i would of lost my £48.50.

My test date was today, i felt more excited than nervous, i felt ready i was going to pass i knew it. My lovely (or so i thought) lady examiner came out, looked over my paper work, i did my show and tell which was on oil and brakes, i got them both right which if i am honest was the only bit of the test i was slightly scared about!! She asked me to turn left, she wasn't very chatty but i tried to make conversation with her. I asked if i was her first test this morning she said no, the girl before had failed extremely badly.... how nice of her to put me at ease!

She asked me to do a turn in the road, which i thought great its one of my strongest manovers i can do this. I got across both sides of the road and for some reason i decided to go in to first rather than reverse, i corrected my mistake did the turn and all was fine. On to next area, it was a 40 zone, i was doing 35mph i saw her make a tick and wondered why?!! I had checked all mirrors, nothing behind me what was she marking me for... i was keeping on my side of the road etc etc

So then we get on to the next manover which was reverse round corner. I reversed round and came around too wide, i went to straighten up and she just told me to drive on. Never mind i thought.

I felt quite confidence, i though i must of got a minor for the RRC carried on driving until suddenly she starts yelling STOP STOP. I'd almost gone over a cross roads without stopping. By this point i was in tears. There was no give way sign, slow down or anything. I'm not from York, all my lessons have been outside of York and i wasn't sure where i was going. My instructor had never taken me left out of the test centre road. I had only had a quick tour the night before with my partner and we hadn't gone down this road. I knew i had failed and she told me to turn right and i just drove straight on and pulled up at the test centre.

She said you have failed on turn in the road, RRC and not stopping at the cross roads. This was the only explanation i got before she got out of the car. I got handed a green sheet which i screwed up and put in the glove box. I didn't even want to look at it. I thought it had gone so well.

My partner came out to the car park and said are you OK? Only one person from the ten that sat at the same time as you passed.

Having cried all the way home and several hours later i decided to look at my test sheet.

1D 3S 11 Minors. I nearly died.

She gave me a serious on turn in the road on observation, so i had already failed and she made me carry on for another half and hour for nothing. I would of prefer her to say you have failed go back to the test centre. Another serious for RRC for control a further serious for steering and obviously the dangerous for the crossroads (which was completely my fault)

She also marked me down with a "less serious" for doing 35mph in a 40!!! Did she seriously hate me that much. Minors were on move off (safety) signalling, 2 for change of speed, 2 for signals correctly, 2 for appropriate speed, 1 for junctions turning right and one for awareness. So all in all a big fat fail.

Not even close to a pass. I am so disheartened i am EBAY'ing the car and cutting up my license. York test centre is suppose to have the best pass rate around here. 

31-03-08 15:42:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Possibly the worst test result in history....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 31-03-08 16:22:48

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to hear your result Mrsfreer. Do not give up, why not ask if anyone on this forum is in your area to give you an appraisal of your driving and to help you over the next hurdle. You may be closer to your full licence than you think.

#3 31-03-08 16:42:13

Mrsfreer

Keefidee thanks for your kind words, but i am not resitting.

#4 31-03-08 17:07:40

VandADI
Administrator

You have come this far.....why give it all up?
Yes, you feel bad at the moment, it's only natural but you MUST pick yourself up, brush yourself down and try again.  In a couple of days' time you will feel differently about things.
I do feel you ought to perhaps try a different ADI to keep you in check as perhaps you may have let things slide when practicing privately.  You have gained confidence with the private practice but defining what is a driver fault/serious/dangerous fault is much harder to do when you do not have the input of an ADI.
Good luck, and do NOT give up.

#5 31-03-08 17:18:21

jem
Verified Member

Ok Mrsfreer, here goes.

11 Driving faults.... Not great but not a disaster either.
3 Serious.............. 2 of these are skill based manoeuvres that can be improved easily
1 Dangerous.......... That tells me you are not as confident as you might be in unfamiliar areas. Vary your driving more.

To give you some encouragement I will tell you about one of my pupils that passed several years ago now at the 2nd attempt. First test she came back with 3 serious and 24 minors. To this day it's my worst ever test result. She spent all her time watching the examiners pen on the test sheet. (sound familiar)

She went back 4 weeks later and passed with 6 minors. (yeah I know driving faults.)

Sometimes there is a reason why people don't pass 1st time. Imagine if you had gone to that same crossroads after you passed and shot straight through. The results could have been deadly. Perhaps the examiner has done you a favour.

DON'T GIVE UP.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

#6 31-03-08 17:22:21

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I did exactly the same as what you say you want to do..

I know how you feel too...you're disheartened, humiliated and you just feel like giving up  yikes

I started learning when I was 17, failed my driving test MISERABLY, convinced myself I was hopeless, useless and rubbish and never, in the entire history of test candidates had there ever been anyone anywhere near as bad as me...so I just gave up.

I gave up for 10 years   roll

By then I was married and hubby kept trying to persuade me to try again...to shut him up, I did. I learned with the instructor who had taught him and found him to be much nicer, more patient and relaxed than the instructor I'd had 10 years previously and I passed my test on my next attempt  lol

I now run a driving school...

Lots of people fail...in fact, well over half fail (the national pass rate is around 43%)...you've spent so much money already and you're most of the way there...

When you've finished licking your wounds, take time to find an instructor you feel at ease with, uncrumple that DL25 and discuss where you went wrong with your new instructor, have a few more lessons, take time to familiarise yourself with where you want to take your next test and try again...

You CAN do it... wink :angel:

...and there's always lots of moral support and free advice here on this forum... big_smile

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#7 31-03-08 20:47:54

littlemissbitch

firstly don't give up and that's coming from me who did give up 12 year's ago after failing my test,  who like you thought i was going to pass , i stupidly gave up due to the fact i thought i could never pass as i just went to pieces on the test and drove in a disastrous way ,

it took me 12 year's to pluck up the courage to do it again and to my amazement i passed  first time in 12 year's  after about 14 hour's adi tuition

secondly you cannot blame the examiner for not telling you you had failed there and then , when i failed i think i failed early on in the test but i was told to carry on that's just the way they do it , if it's any consolation i do know how you feel but giving up isn't the answer i should know as i could kick myself now for waiting so long to do it again , lot's of ppl fail there driving test , i know someone that had failed 10 times passed on her 11th time , it's just one of those thing's you have to carry on with , trust me on this i know lol i should never of given up and if my giving up and my story can help just one person retake there test and pass then i will be happy smile

my adi had a pupil who went on the wrong side of the road and the examiner had to grab the wheel , he put back in for it 2 week's later and passed , so please dont think your result is the worst cause i bet it's not . you could of just been having a bad day and bad for you it was on your test day ,

#8 31-03-08 21:01:48

VandADI
Administrator

The only reason the Examiner would terminate a test (resulting in a fail) would be in the interest of public safety. The dangerous fault you occurred was at the cross roads incident - I take it you were in a car without dual controls fitted as the Examiner had to take verbal action by telling you to stop.  If it was a car fitted with duals then they would use the duals to stop you.  Whether verbal or physical action was taken, would result in a fail.
The pupil has the right to terminate the test at any stage of it, but this is not adviseable as what the pupil may deem a fail would not necessarily be so.  The Examiner did not fail you because she hated you so, but because on this occasion, you had not reached the required standard to pass the test.  Whether the test centre has a high pass rate or not, if you reach the required standard, you will pass, it's just unfortunate that on this occasion, you were not, but next time, you will be  wink

#9 01-04-08 16:07:51

looprevil
Verified Member

Mrs Freer,

There is some sound advice here for you.  No-one can change the past however you can affect your future.

Why not find an instructor who can help you further in conjunction with your private practice and then you should achieve your objective.

Test centre pass rates and different examiners should bear little relevance to the skills a driver needs to demonstrate to gain a test pass.

regards

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#10 01-04-08 20:15:56

alt
Verified Member

hi mrsfreer, you,ve read this many times now. please please please dont give up.spend a couple of days to lick your wounds. then find a new adi to help you.

#11 02-04-08 13:08:29

Mrsfreer

Hello all!

Having sulked for most of Monday, i decided to Google some instructors in my area yesterday. I didnt find alot, as i am in quite a remote area of York, most instructors dont cover this area. I have decided just to do one/two hours a week with an instructor (to keep me out of bad habbits) plus private practise.

I did however get back in to the car (with much force from Mr Freer) and drove to the supermarket which is about 20mins away.

Still feel rather depressed about driving all together. I do need to pass before June as we are moving to another remote part of York (the opposite side to where we are now) but to be honest, i doubt i will resit for a good 6 months if at all this year.

#12 02-04-08 21:26:02

Louisa
Verified Member

Evening Mrsfreer

Have you thought of doing an intensive/semi intensive course??? If you've had or getting a fair bit of practise its probably what may do you good.  Doing private practise is great experience for you but its very easy to forget obvious checks etc  if theres not an ADI keeping tabs on you.........like checking mirrors in pairs every time you move left/right, turn left/right, speed up or down etc..... if your husband isnt aware of whats expected will he prompt or tell you, you ve missed one??

Don't give up, if anything go for it soon and prove to yourself you can do it, have faith and be positive, look forward to reading your pass write up!!

Louisa  smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXGn42tCbc

This is what qualifying as an ADI makes you do!!! smile yes its me smile

www.drivingschoolsloughborough.com

#13 02-04-08 22:37:07

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Hello Mrs Freer...
I have to echo what everyone is saying here.  You must not give up or ebay your car.
Hopefully by the time you are reading my entry (3 days later) you will have calmed down and are starting to get over the bitter disappointment of failing.  You are not the first and are certainly not the last for this to happen to.
Don't throw out your test report but give it to your instructor so you can both focus in on all the faults and rectify them.
This is definately not the worst test result in history.
Re-book your test as soon as your instructor tells you and go back to that test centre and prove to them just how good a driver you are.
All the best....

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#14 03-04-08 00:44:22

looprevil
Verified Member

Wish I was in your area - I would help you.

Not touting for business just love to help others.

regards

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 06-04-08 11:22:15

Leprechaun

The pupil has the right to terminate the test at any stage of it, but this is not adviseable as what the pupil may deem a fail would not necessarily be so.

I can echo that. I did my DIAmond advanced test recently and early on in the test i was beeped at by another motorist so i was convinced i'd done something wrong and therefore i was convinced i'd failed sad 50 minutes later and with me thoroughly disheartened and already crying he said to me "I'm pleased to tell you that you've passed" You could've knocked me down with a feather  yikes

And he told me to use that experience to help and encourage others  tongue tongue big_smile big_smile big_smile

#16 14-04-08 12:30:01

KTB

hey, don't give up!! i have just had my test, it was a late cancellation, and was really looking forward to it!. i also failed, i had 3 serious and 9 faults, the serious were stalling( that wasn't the problem, i rolled back a bit, so my fault), changing to 1st to early and not checking my mirrors whist changing lanes on a roundabout. i have taking this as a learning curve as i have only had 25hrs, i thought it was great just to see what actually goe's on in a test, now i'm ready for the next one, in 2 weeks. so i say, chin up, keep your licence, and try again!!! big_smile

#17 16-04-08 22:12:54

Luchell
Verified Member

Yep, no more fear of the unknown!  lol You will be feeling more fresh this time as you won't be in the car for so long before the test, time flies! It's not long to go now before we're there again  wink

#18 12-05-08 21:11:44

Mrsfreer

Well, after much pushing from my fella i have rebooked my test. It is the last week in June. I also have been having an hour a week with a new instructor although i do feel like i'm wasting my time going over the same things i already know. She has told me i'm ready for my test so let hope i pass the !!!!!!!! thing. I will not do it again, i have only been bribed in to this one with the promise of a new shiny car if i pass. God i hate people that have passed. It actually makes me bitter when i see some jumped up 17 year old in his chaved up car. I'm going to bed now with a bottle of wine.

The much disgruntled Mrs Freer

#19 12-05-08 23:58:10

AndyBerry

well Mrs Freer, I agree about the bottle of wine! I've just demolished a bottle in last hour so ignore any spelling mistakes! big_smile Don't give up even if you fail again, it will be worth it in the long run!!! Stay positive, you've learnt a skill and shouldn't give it up!!!
Your instructor will just be checking that youi know everything with the skill you are being tested on. I've found that with some pupils I receive that have taken a test, they are lacking knowledge in a certain area and have to find it out quickly so I can rectify it before taking another test

#20 28-05-08 11:24:13

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

If your new instructor wasn't going over things you already know, then they wouldn't be doing their job.

Safe driving is all about routines. You can't refer to a written check list while behind the wheel, so repetition is the only way. A couple of your fail points were for observation and that is all about repetition.

Relax, listen to the new instructor and remember, the next test is a new test. Even if you get the same examiner, they are marking you for today, not last month.

Good luck.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#21 22-06-08 20:59:44

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

i didnt pass my driving test till 3rd time
i got loads of faults for my 1st  and 2nd driving test

i finally passed in 1991 then i decided i want to become a driving instructor so when it come to my driving abilitys [part 2] i was saying to my self i really cant do it as i got loads of bad habits so i had training  and i passed it 1st time with 2 faults .

you will get there just dont get disheartened

emma xxx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

#22 07-12-08 08:01:20

sgb_sailor
Verified Member

Sorry but the OP really is quite annoying, in the nicest possible way.
First you got disgruntled with your original instructor and decided to go it alone rather than be directed PROFESSIONALLY how to drive safely. Are you really that surprised you failed?? I could see it a mile away. But you chose to blame it on being taken on roads you've never driven on before... well that tells me above everything else you shouldn't be driving a car alone just yet. Unless you can drive on unfamiliar roads for an hour near-perfectly then you are a danger to other road users and I'm sorry but this is what driving instructors are for!
However, you then (quite rightly) decide to get started again with a new instructor but your first comment is "I also have been having an hour a week with a new instructor although i do feel like i'm wasting my time going over the same things i already know."  NO, you do NOT already know them otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. You are a LEARNER and you don't have a clue what it takes to drive safely for prolonged periods under pressure, you've only been driving a matter of months. But also you have to remember driving is repetition personified... turning left & right, roundabouts, lane changing, crossraods, and manoeuvres - they never really change.

Please forgive me if this sounds like a personal attack on you Mrs Freer becuase it isn't. It's just that I get angry (as a driving instructor myself) by learners with an ignorant approach that think they have the knowledge when they NEVER do. We are driving instructors because we have been highly trained and we see many MANY things when you drive that you don't. How many times has your instructor told you about something that happened and you just looked at him or her and said "No, I didn't see that"??

Stick with it but you need to be a lot more open to what we tell you and just do it rather than pushing back all the time.

#23 02-02-09 17:22:34

hector
Verified Member
Website

mrs freer

To pass the driving test you need to be able to drive to a high standard on a variety of roads without any help. You didnt, and thats why you werent succesfull. You have to stop blaming others and worrying about pass rates, your instructor sounds a waste of space but that is down to you to change instructor.

Get another instructor, but seriously a change of attitude will be required to be sucessful  smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#24 03-02-09 12:09:08

scannermanh
Verified Member

Mrs Freer
After reading your last post, my first reaction was that I
hope you never pass. You're arrogant ,whinging complaining
about how everthing made you fail except yourself was sad
and the comment about the 17yr old chav really summed you up,
at least the chav can get it together to pass his test and having
taught many, I never had a bad one.
All you seem to care about is passing your test with no thought
to how well you drive, forget about your test, learn to drive to a
good standard on all roads whether you know them or not, consistently,
confidently for as long as you are driving, then your test will be a breeze.
Find yourself a good ADI that you are confident with and listen to what
they say, they really do know more than you.
I know I sound harsh to you and I mean it, driving a ton of steel around at
speed needs skill and the most important THE RIGHT ATTITUDE getting it wrong
only once could cost you or someone else their life.
Now learn to drive properly, when you have achieved that, pat yourself on the back
you will deserve it, then take your test, unless you are very unlucky, and it happens
to the best, you will easily pass, you will feel great and deservedly so.
Taught a girl (chav) failed first time one minor, one serious. Got a cancallation
two weeks later passed with one minor.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#25 03-02-09 15:14:58

Makem Drive
Verified Member

I haven't been in the 'instructor game' long but have been a driver for 40+ years. In that time I have seen good, bad & indifferent standards of driving.

I knew one who after passing his test only drove 1.5 miles to the pub for a meal as this was the only road he was comfortable on without an instructor alongside. Over the next year he got more ambitious and acutely drove the whole 7 miles to town (had used the bus every time leaving the car at home). I had only been passed my test a couple of days & was driving all over the north east in areas I never been to by bus, car or train. This was 30+ years ago when traffic was lighter, how he would have coped today I dread to think.

Another driver of many years took 5 Min's & shunted more than 30 times & was still 2/3 of the cars width from being correctly parallel parked. As he was blocking the driveway a newly qualified driver parked it for him first time in less than 30 seconds (something he had been doing since he was 16 years old).

Examples could go on for weeks but I will only use these to show the difference of being able to drive & being able to pass you test, two entirely different skills.

I had to go to Peckham once, the directions given to me (from county Durham where I was) were 'Go to battersee & turn left, the depot is on the right'. No map, no stopping for further directions or anything, I followed the directions & got straight there no trouble. Most of my journey have been made without using maps.

As for your comment about things going pear shaped in your instructor car as it was bigger than yours all I can say is that I learned to drive in up to 10 different cars of different sizes 5 days a week. My first lesson  (very first time I moved a car was at 15.5) was a reverse left (down a slope then turn left between two rows of cars 1.5 car widths apart) with my 'instructor' in the car in front, hand on horn & 2 ft off my bumper glaring at me. I had to deal with it or not drive.
Once I was old enough to get my licence & take lessons I had more than 10 'instructors' (only one driving instructor), lessons in at least 4 different cars, unsupervised private practise in more than 300 different cars & passed within 4 months (second attempt).

Get used to it, a car is a car. If you can drive one then you should have no problems driving any, it only takes a few minutes to get used to the small differences.

I don't mean to put down your partners skills but private practice can hinder your progress unless your partner is pointing out your mistakes as your instructor would otherwise your instructor will have to spend too much time correcting the developing bad habits.

If you feel that your driving is not that bad then why wait till June to resit? The longer you put it off without proper controlled lessons the more bad habits you could develop. If as you say driving will be more essential shortly then get lots of good practice with a good instructor NOW as the longer you leave it the more 'under pressure' you could put yourself.

I wouldn't recommend the way I was taught to anyone & won't go in to some of the situations my (so called) instructors put me in to but if nothing else it taught me to
Expect the unexpected
Deal with it when it happens
Not to panic no matter what happened
That 'proper' driving was EPLS (easy peasy lemon squeezy) in comparason to my training

I use the above as part of the training program I put my pupils through although I wouldn't dream of doing anything that was unsafe (unlike that which was do to me which bordered on dangerous most of the time).

If you really feel your instructor is just 'taking you for a ride' financially then change instructors, If you feel the same about the second instructor then perhaps the fault in not with the instructor but with your driving.
Where ever the fault lies, learn from it, deal with it, LEARN to DRIVE
then go in for you test & you will pass.

Board footer