You are not logged in.

#1 24-03-08 16:07:38

iwanadrive

no claims bonus for learner drivers

I've had my own car now for almost a year, scary stuff!!  The insurance is due on it soon, i am the main policy holder and was wondering whether i would receive a no claims bonus due to having the car for a year within my name?  I know you may not definately be able to tell me, but your likely to know more than me.  Thanks in advance.

24-03-08 16:07:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: no claims bonus for learner drivers

#2 24-03-08 16:31:26

DampDog
Verified Member

Good for you going the first year accident free, statistically the first couple of years after passing your test are the most dangerous, anyway nice one.

Basically you start off paying the whole cost of your insurance, just for example we'll say it cost £1000. So unless the insurance company offer you an introductory discount of say 15-20% (Some do) you pay the whole £1000.

But because the insurance companies like careful motorist for each full year claim free they will give you some discount off that £1000, typically up to a maximum of 65% off, so if you go claim free for say 5 years you will only pay 35% of the £1000 so get insured for £350.. big_smile

I'm not sure how big the steps up in discounts are year on year around 10-12% give or take. Only little fly in the ointment is that the cost of insurance tends to go up a little each year.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#3 24-03-08 18:37:01

dog
Verified Member

£1000 - you're having a giraffe!

My first years insurance, as an 18 year old male, new licence holder, on a 9 year old 1.4L Peugeot 306 is £2621 a year, third party fire and theft. Twice as much as the car cost.

#4 24-03-08 18:45:37

DampDog
Verified Member

lol.. where did you get insured, I saw u coming.com?

Only kidding. Good deals can be had, young lad at work 23, just passed his test and bought a brand new Pug 106 (Aygo-C1) paid just a smidgen over £800 fully comp. Only group 1 and £35 road tax. cheap motoring for a young lad. Then again the car is bright yellow so I guess they see him coming and swerve round him. ( Seriously though he's a nice steady driver, they aren't all boy racers)

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#5 24-03-08 20:27:02

iwanadrive

My car is a 1994 citroen Ax, in imaculate condition only one previous owner, i love her!  It cost me only £360 for fully comp insurance for the year and thats on a provisonal licence.  Quotes to insure her this time round are about £300, so very happy.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 25-03-08 12:45:26

dog
Verified Member

Just don't crash...AX's aren't the strongest of cars.

This one hit an Astra at 50mph:

benscarremains001li0.jpg

benscarremains002hp2.jpg

benscarremains003mt1.jpg

benscarremains004gc3.jpg

#7 26-03-08 22:53:26

hector
Verified Member
Website

Pass plus extra, advanced driving test and shopping around will significantly reduce premiums.

Should really be 30% first year.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#8 26-03-08 23:23:06

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

cant argue with hector 30% first year should be attainable so is a further discount for the rest of your driving life?  big_smile

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#9 27-03-08 16:05:34

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Unless that AX had to be cut apart in order to get people out of it, which is quite possible, then it has the look of a car that has been made up by welding parts of a number of cars together.

#10 28-03-08 10:45:00

dog
Verified Member

No it's a genuine crash, it hit an Astra head on in a 60mph zone (although the Ax was only doing about 50). The driver was in intensive care for 6 weeks. Came out with a broken leg, broken ankle, and a big scar from where the clutch pedal dug in to his leg. Only long-term damage are scars from the hospital ventilator, the scar from the clutch pedal and the scars from the operations where they pinned his knee, ankle and leg.

#11 28-03-08 18:58:13

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Well in that case, even at a possible 100+ mph impact I can't understand the A B, C and D posts all breaking at the same point, level with the top of the lower body shell, exactly where a cut and shut job would have had a new roof welded on.
The A B and C posts particularly are normally a single construction from floor to roof, and the D post should be quite a bulky construction again full length but also incorporating the side panel, they should not have all split where they did.

#12 10-04-08 20:11:40

littlemissbitch

my mate had a  ax year's ago when they were brand new it was her first car after passing and she went and crashed and it just folded on impact , still a great little car tho for a learner smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 10-04-08 20:44:01

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I can't understand the A B, C and D posts all breaking at the same point, level with the top of the lower body shell

Possibly cut off by the rescue service to reach occupants?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 11-04-08 06:30:28

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

I can't understand the A B, C and D posts all breaking at the same point, level with the top of the lower body shell

Possibly cut off by the rescue service to reach occupants?

Exactly  the point I made

Hi
Unless that AX had to be cut apart in order to get people out of it, which is quite possible, then it has the look of a car that has been made up by welding parts of a number of cars together.

Which was then refuted by

No it's a genuine crash, it hit an Astra head on in a 60mph zone (although the Ax was only doing about 50). The driver was in intensive care for 6 weeks. Came out with a broken leg, broken ankle, and a big scar from where the clutch pedal dug in to his leg. Only long-term damage are scars from the hospital ventilator, the scar from the clutch pedal and the scars from the operations where they pinned his knee, ankle and leg.

#15 11-04-08 08:59:19

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Sorry peg, I misinterpreted your message.

If a passenger had those injuries there's no doubt the roof would have been cut off. 

Board footer