You are not logged in.

#1 21-03-08 11:50:01

Shazzer

Steering so far...

Right, I have now has 16 hours ADI training and 3ish hours 'steering' practice in Hubby's (as he calls it!) He doesn't make many comments as I drive, he will bring up things he has noticed when I stop, but is careful not to say 'this was wrong' etc, more of a 'how are you taught to do it'?.

Anyway:
I have covered all the manoeuvres and am not doing to badly with them at all.
I confidently drive to and from pick up point including small sections of dual carriage way.
I have gone from first preferring Hubby's mondeo to now preferring the ADI's focus, which is fine because I have to pass the test in that car.
I'm getting more nervous about driving the modeo, no reason, I just avoid it by 'forgetting' to mention I was going to drive, I don't know why, but it has made a difference not driving twice a week, just once, took me 20 mind to get in the swing of it this week.
I need to relax, which I find difficult at the best of times.

I can't believe I have come so far. I hated the idea of driving, it scared me silly, and hence I've had my provisional since I was 17 (bought by parents) and never had a driving lesson until I was 32! And I had to be bullied into that!!

Next lesson tomorrow, need to do my theory and hazard perception revision, but so busy! Mum of two, 14 and 10, wife, work full time, cub leader and union rep! Oh well....

21-03-08 11:50:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Steering so far...

#2 26-03-08 18:46:48

Shazzer

Well, steering on Sat went ok, did emerging onto a road with central reservations, and up to 55mph (60 limit). Practiced reverse round a corner, and picked up on some minor bits I need to polish up on. I can complete it to a test pass, but ned to watch my steering, over a bit mostly, but I know it and can practice it.

Today I had 1.5hr lesson as I am off work, and cracked the reverse round a corner, I tried it on 5 corners, all on test routes and varying difficulty, up-hill, down-hill, narrow road. I tend to do better on the harder ones?? Concentrating more perhaps??

Anyway, on the 20 min drive home, ADI said I was oozing confidence, mirror checks 5, left and right turn 5 roundabouts 5, meeting traffic 4. Just still got to watch the speed approaching T-junctions. A few of them were uphill, so I think I was conscious of being slowed down by the hill and didn't want to slow too much and have to accelerate to the junction, if that makes any sense!!!

I'm really starting to enjoy it now! Another lesson on Friday. I'll keep you posted.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-03-08 21:26:10

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...is careful not to say 'this was wrong' etc, more of a 'how are you taught to do it'?...

That's great!
Private practice is good for building skill & confidence, but especially so if the "private tutor" doesn't deliberately work against the ADI.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 26-03-08 21:32:31

Shazzer

Private practice is good for building skill & confidence, but especially so if the "private tutor" doesn't deliberately work against the ADI.

Thanks Zipper, he is very aware that he does not drive the way you are taught to pass a test, so always tells me 'don't watch me!' He is mainly there for insurance and morale! and doesn't ever get angry with me. He can talk me through a situation if I get stuck, very calmly!! big_smile

#5 27-03-08 18:37:23

Shazzer

Today I tried a practice Theory test and a practice Hazard Perception test, first time trying either.
I 'passed' both! 43/50 for theory and 60/75 for H/P.
Obviously it's the first go, and I need to practice and revise both well before I put in for it, but I was quite pleased. smile

#6 28-03-08 15:39:03

Shazzer

Had another good smooth lesson today, brushed up on bay parking and a bit more 60 mph driving, but was along country roads so I wasn't too keen and kept about 50-55! It's part of a test route though. All 4's and 5's for what we did today.

#7 02-04-08 18:41:44

Shazzer

Today was more on the A500 and I got safely up to 60mph+ (70 limit) and kept safe distances. I did ?????? up coming off though! The slip road goes uphill to a large roundabout, and I slowed down and had to stop briefly, and as I went to pull off I let the clutch up and pressed the brake!! DOH just hadn't moved my foot, how daft. :oops:
The rest of the lesson went well and I practiced parallel parking well.

( I have booked my theory test too, but shush, it's a secret!) wink

#8 03-04-08 21:16:48

Shazzer

Oh what a good girl am I ,  I went for an hour drive with hubby after work today. After putting it off because I felt unreasonably nervous about driving his car again (have not been out for 4 weeks), in I got and off we went. I did stall twice, but one of those was because I put it into third instead of first, which I have done once before (daft I know, but I worry about going into reverse by accident, so don't push it over enough).
I feel much better having done it now, but I think I will refrain from driving his car a lot before my test!!

#9 03-04-08 21:19:55

Shazzer

I did ?????? up coming off though!

Apologies if I swore there, and thanks to whomever changed it to smileys. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry, sometimes I don't think as I type neutral

#10 08-04-08 19:04:13

Shazzer

We'll I did another practice theory and hazard perception, passed both. Another lesson today, went well, a bit hard on the pedals occasionally, but I think that is down to driving the mondeo on Thursday. I have already decided that in the few weeks up to the test I will not be driving Hubby's car, just concentrate in ADI's.
Practiced bay park and parallel park.

#11 12-04-08 14:41:41

Shazzer

I had an hour and a half lesson today from home, so we could cover a test route. It went well, RRC and TIR pass standard, just need to brush up on approaching junctions and roundabouts, still a bit fast on approach, I just worry about stooping to soon and too short, and have gone the other way, not shooting over give ways or anything that serious. Oh well

Practice practice!!. Still trawling through the theory test questions!!

#12 14-04-08 20:13:27

Shazzer

Woohoo!!
passed theory test today!! 50/50 and 60/75 big_smile

#13 19-04-08 10:18:05

Shazzer

Well had another two lessons since last Saturday, Both following test routes, my manovuers have been fine, not perfect but I can correct as i'm doing it if need be. Need to work on braking, still a little sharp in places, not harsh, just can't get the hang of stopping without that slight STOP where the car rocks. Any tips??
Looking at booking my test, now that it has gone up!!

#14 20-04-08 22:23:29

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

sounds like your doing well shaz. when stopping the car try braking - adding the amount of pressure you require to halt the car then reducing the pressure as you stop. it takes a LOT of force to stop a 1 tonne vehicle at 60 mph - takes a lot less at 10 mph so you need to reduce the pressure on the pedal. its down to potential or kinetic energy the bigger the weight, the higher the speed, more effort to stop it. try it i hope it helps o/ regards keith  big_smile

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#15 21-04-08 20:17:36

Shazzer

Booked me practical test today  yikes yikes

countdown to crunch time!!

#16 23-04-08 18:07:24

Shazzer

Had a lesson from work, and took a passenger so I could see what it was like having someone in the back while you do manoeuvres. Didn't really notice them! Practiced E.stop, and rrc, went well, overtook on a 70mph road (wasn't going that fast though!) mostly 5's on my record sheet, just still brushing up on little things now.

#17 26-04-08 21:43:59

Shazzer

Really enjoyed my lesson today, did another test route and rrc and bay parking ( on the test centre car park yikes) I felt really confident and well on the way to test standard (i hope  big_smile) although it still feel odd that if I pass, I can go anywhere in a car just like that! Scary really, that's when the next learning curve starts, I suppose.

#18 29-04-08 18:08:01

Shazzer

Well another bonus for the old confidence! Went out on Sunday and I drove Hubby's modeo, and we did another test route, highlighted some black spots and a nasty emerge on a hill, stop sign and a bend! Did stall a couple of times but haven't driven his car for nearly 4 weeks? Felt good afterwards, might go out again this weekend but then will steer clear as test time approaches.

Sorry about the pun   roll

#19 30-04-08 21:19:51

Shazzer

Another hour toady, didn't start well, going along the A500 at 60mph, approaching a sliproad to let traffic on, so checked mirrors, Lorry right behind me and car back to the right in outside lane, corner of my eye see a car steaming down the sliproad, on a collision course for us, in fact he'd have hit the front as he was going faster than me, I braked, not too harshly because of the lorry behind, quick look and pulled right, then he braked just over the lines!  yikes yikes It all happened quickly, I couldn't believe it, what an A*** . The rest of the lesson went fine, and instructor said I reacted well and it was not my fault at all. just lucky the bloke in the outside lane didn't speed up.
Scary neutral

#20 04-05-08 20:43:36

Shazzer

Started Saturday by taking the kids to karate and then continued to the test centre and did another test route, had to do a rrc three times as it was a pain in the behind! cracked it in the end though.

#21 07-05-08 20:45:47

Shazzer

Well couple of daft mistakes today, approached a roundabout in the wrong lane and didn't check right shoulder before turn in the road.  neutral
General on the road is ok, practice practice!! tongue

#22 08-05-08 20:00:28

hector
Verified Member
Website

Carlos Carlos Carlos

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#23 08-05-08 20:59:20

Shazzer

Who is Carlos?? yikes You ok Hector lol, I've only read a few new posts and two are Carlos and one was ' by you!! wink

#24 08-05-08 21:04:46

hector
Verified Member
Website

No I think im in trouble  sad sad

A 500 where are you training?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#25 08-05-08 21:08:41

Shazzer

In stoke on trent, test will be at Newcastle under lyme.

Board footer