You are not logged in.

#1 21-03-08 11:26:09

wolfchild08

Harder to drive in a differant car

I have been having my lessons in a Renault Clio.  Yesterday I drove my friends car for the first time (he now has me insured on the car) and I couldnt drive it!! It is a Vauxall Astra car, feels extreemley heavy when I drive and not as easy to steer.  Even found it harder doing left and right turns, mainly due to the heaviness and steering of the car. I just couldnt get used to it.  Is this normal for a learner driver would you say? I knew it would be slightly differant in another car but did not realise it would take so much getting used to.  Also, which cars in your opinion would you say are easier to drive - Petrol or diesal cars.  Thanks.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

21-03-08 11:26:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Harder to drive in a differant car

#2 21-03-08 11:53:54

Shazzer

Hi wolfchild08,
I drive two cars, and my opinion on which is easier has changed the more I drive them. I'm learning in a diesel Focus and hubby has a diesel Mondeo, very similar set up, but a lot havire, turbo, and totally different clutch bites!! You can get used to it, just remember which car you are in. ADI's I can pull of with no gas, in mondeo, no way! need gas on every junction etc, have to push the pedals a lot further for the same response. It's only taken 3-4 goes to get used to it.

Just remember which car you need to pass in and make sure you are confortable in that!

#3 21-03-08 12:05:05

dog
Verified Member

How old was the Astra? It is possible that it wasn't equipped with Power Assisted Steering (PAS). PAS is a standard feature on most cars made after the year 2000 (and a lot of cars before then too) and just uses a hydraulic pump, powered by the engine, to make turning the wheel a lot easier. I would be very surprised if your ADI's car did not have PAS.

It is more noticeable at lower speeds, i.e. during manoeuvres or turning very sharp corners at low speeds. Might be worth asking your friend if his car does have power steering or not, but you can generally test by trying to turn the steering wheel with the engine off, then starting the engine and turning the wheel, it should be a lot lighter and you should also hear the engine revs drop slightly as you turn the wheel due to the engine running the power steering pump.

As for easiest to drive, I'd say it is DEFINITELY the diesel car, simply because they are a lot more tolerant with the clutch, and you can bring it up without putting any gas on, even on slight uphill gradients.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 21-03-08 12:35:10

Shazzer

As for easiest to drive, I'd say it is DEFINITELY the diesel car, simply because they are a lot more tolerant with the clutch, and you can bring it up without putting any gas on, even on slight uphill gradients.

Unless it's our heavy Mondeo!!! I stall it a lot.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 21-03-08 12:52:33

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...Is this normal for a learner driver would you say?...

Yes it's normal.
Transferring between a small sedan & a 4WD, or vice versa, can also be a bit intimidating.
As you gain experience, you will find it easier to adjust to a different vehicle.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 21-03-08 13:35:54

Leprechaun

dog wrote:

Unless it's our heavy Mondeo!!! I stall it a lot.

I agree!!! I've got a diesel mondeo and it stalls really easily!!! I think i've stalled this car more than any other i've ever had - and more dramatically too !!!

#7 22-03-08 21:52:13

wolfchild08

How old was the Astra? It is possible that it wasn't equipped with Power Assisted Steering (PAS).

I believe this was the case and it was a petrol car.  Diesel cars seem far easier to drive and less sensitive.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#8 22-03-08 22:42:24

dog
Verified Member

...not as easy to steer...

This leads me to believe that he/she has gone from a car with power steering to a car without it.

If you're trying to suggest diesel cars are easier to steer, then I would disagree, simply because in a front engined car (which both the diesel Clio and the petrol Astra are), there would be more weight on the front wheels in the Clio due to diesel engines being a lot heavier, plus the added weight of the turbocharger, A/C compressor, PAS pump, ABS modulator etc.

#9 23-03-08 21:02:00

littlemissbitch

same problem as i had lol , i went from my own clio petrol that i had been driving 4 years to my adi's car a peugeot 306 diesal and i hated it , the steering was heavy even tho it had PAS the clutch was heavy , it was just a horrible car to drive  and after 8 lessons i passed my test first time in it so dont worry at all you will get used to it, as my test got closer i attually got to thinking the car was better than my own lol yet at the start i honestly thought i would have to get a new adi thats how bad it was i came on here asking for advice just like you lol 

#10 23-03-08 23:33:46

iwanadrive

This happened to me when i was learning to drive!  I was having lessons with an instructor and then my fella bought a car for me which was a fiat punto.  i could not get used to it and this caused huge arguments between us as i just couldn't drive it!  I'm a lot better with my driving now, but to this day i will not drive nor buy a fiat punto!  I now have my own car that i am also learning in, alongside my lessons with my instructor, often for the first ten minutes it can take me a while to get into driving a different car, especially if i have driven one more than the other.

Maybe it would be worth going to some quiet industrial area and becoming a bit more used to his car and then taking it out onto other roads.  I suppose the only solution, just like with learning to drive, is constant practice and before long it will be like second nature driving both cars.  Best of luck.

#11 25-03-08 13:12:23

dog
Verified Member

Peugeot 306's are renowned for having stiff clutches. I've got used to it.

Even with PAS the steering may be slightly heavier due to the diesel engine putting a lot of weight on the front wheels.

Board footer