You are not logged in.

#1 03-03-08 18:00:16

jo

Correct way to set car mirrors

Is there a fool-proof method for setting my car mirrors especially the left-hand mirror?  My left-hand mirror never seems to be in the correct position for me to see when I'm doing manoeuvres especially reverse around the corner?  I know I shouldn't just rely on that mirror for this manoeuvre and that I should be looking out the back of the car, which I do, but my car is quite high up and my view is not great out of the back because of rear head rests.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

03-03-08 18:00:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Correct way to set car mirrors

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-03-08 20:42:14

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jo

I'm afraid there is no easy fix method. Have a word with your instructor a practice with him/her.

Just a couple of suggestions try practicing a straight line reverse. Find out how much to turn when reversing round a corner & when to straighten up.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#3 03-03-08 21:48:13

FRANKS
Verified Member

Jo,

What you've said about reversing is correct, you should mainly look out of the back window but you can use the n/s mirror briefly if required.

You can if you wish adjust your mirror for the reverse after pulling passed the junction, but you must re-adjust it after completing the exercise. Failure to do this will cause you to fail.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#4 03-03-08 23:31:41

Disky
Verified Member
Website

I get my pupils to set them so i know what they can see, i asked SE ADI and she agreed that this would be ok, it has worked with all so far, but im sure there will be an exception.

Left door mirror : position do you can see left door handle at 5 o'clock position
Right door mirror: 7 o'clock position.

#5 04-03-08 06:40:33

ExAdiNigel

Disky, why do you need to see the door handles?  The only use the door handles have is to enable you to open the door.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 04-03-08 07:57:41

Dimmy

Post edited as I am not an experienced enough  instructor to comment.

#7 04-03-08 10:52:19

ExAdiNigel

I agree part of the car needs to be visible so that you can relate what you can see with its proximity to the vehicle.  Who cares where the door handle is in the mirror?  It will be in different places depending on the height & position of the driver.  Since we want to be able to see what other road users there are behind & to the side setting the mirrors to see the horizon about half way up the mirror helps to emphasise the why?

I just feel that getting the door handle to be at ?o'clock detracts from why we are setting the mirror in the first place.

What happens when the pupil passes the test and buys a car that is totally different to the car they learned in?

Nigel

#8 04-03-08 20:56:55

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I don't use "door handle", but "bit of the car" or similar terminology. On my dark blue Corolla with its flush-set black handles, they are almost impossible to see. On my Lancer, both front & rear protruding door handles are visible.

I use drawings &`photos to illustrate how I want them to set the mirrors up.If the have problems setting the horizon I get them to refer to the view in the centre mirror (which they adjust first).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 04-03-08 22:54:03

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Disky, why do you need to see the door handles?  The only use the door handles have is to enable you to open the door.

Nigel

In my mini  everyone that uses this can see what their supposed to see, its a simple yet efrfective way of setting the mirrors. the door handle is only a ref, which so far has worked. thus when they pass and drive their own car, they know what they are supposed to see, it is not one gloove fits all, but does allow them to understand what they "should" see.

Remember, it's only a ref point, handles are for opening doors, but can also be used as points of ref, im sure you use the kerb as point of ref for certain mans, not just for seperating the road from the footpath.

If it works, use it, if not,  then work,and use something else that they understand.......... smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 04-03-08 23:00:22

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Left door mirror : position do you can see left door handle at 5 o'clock position
Right door mirror: 7 o'clock position.

Never thought of it like that....but looking in mine today and they are exactly like that!

#11 05-03-08 00:38:37

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Nigal - its only a ref point, NOT black & white, time you got a life mate instead of shooting everyone in the baws because they have a typo or not enough content to please you...............#

AL:)

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#12 05-03-08 06:46:20

ExAdiNigel

Ekal, did you have a bad day yesterday by any chance?

Besides you are probably on here as much as I am, so does that mean you need to get a life too?

Anyway, my point is that a pupil is likely to remember the bit about where the door handle is rather than what they are supposed to be looking for, whereas in reality, it really doesn't matter where the door handle is.

Nigel

#13 15-03-08 03:18:16

gs1974

If it's explained properly, Nigel, it's as good a method as any other if it works!  roll

All reference points will be different in different cars, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to teach them at a time when pupils haven't got a clue what they're looking for otherwise. I'm sure you fully realise that the 'door handle' method doesn't mean people are suggesting that the door handle (and, thus, the whole door) must be seen in its entirety  roll

As far as I'm concerned, setting the mirrors so that they can be set the same way every time is better than pupils having them pointing up, down, outwards, and God knows where else through lack of effective guidance. Just being able to see the back corner of the front door handle happens to correspond to an ideal position to set them on most Fords and several other cars I've used. It does not show the entire side of the car, nor is it intended to. Nor is that what others here are suggesting.

It's a fairly simple task to say 'this will probably be different in your own car, but you can adjust the mirrors in a similar manner so you set them the same each time while out practising'. It's almost as easy to show them (or their driving partner) how to do it. And it's just as easy to explain that with a bit of practice, they won't need to use most reference points at all.

#14 15-03-08 11:57:35

Disky
Verified Member
Website

i use the handle method at the start of their training so "I" know what they can see, i have found that learners often say what they need to say to make them sound as tho they have done it right, this is just 1 way i use to verify that they are seeing correctly, if used in conjunction with good Q&A it works well for me.

GS, you explain things better than me smile

#15 16-03-08 07:55:20

ExAdiNigel

If it's explained properly, Nigel, it's as good a method as any other if it works!  roll

IF it works!  I very much doubt it it works for all cars.  So the pupil goes off and buys their own car sets the mirror as per Disky's suggestion and so may end up seeing absolutey naff-all (well, apart from a door handle!)!  Whereas if they are taught to set the mirror so that they see what they are supposed to see then that should work in whatever car they get in!

All reference points will be different in different cars, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to teach them at a time when pupils haven't got a clue what they're looking for otherwise. I'm sure you fully realise that the 'door handle' method doesn't mean people are suggesting that the door handle (and, thus, the whole door) must be seen in its entirety  roll

But surely, one of the early lessons teaches the pupils about what they should be seeing so they do have a clue of what they're looking for.  Being able to see the door handle is only useful if you are teaching a pupil to drive a particular car and ONLY that particular car.  We should be teaching pupils skills that are transferrable to as wide a range of cars as is practical.

As far as I'm concerned, setting the mirrors so that they can be set the same way every time is better than pupils having them pointing up, down, outwards, and God knows where else through lack of effective guidance. Just being able to see the back corner of the front door handle happens to correspond to an ideal position to set them on most Fords and several other cars I've used. It does not show the entire side of the car, nor is it intended to. Nor is that what others here are suggesting.

It's a fairly simple task to say 'this will probably be different in your own car, but you can adjust the mirrors in a similar manner so you set them the same each time while out practising'. It's almost as easy to show them (or their driving partner) how to do it. And it's just as easy to explain that with a bit of practice, they won't need to use most reference points at all.

Using such a reference point is, in my opinion, detracting from what the pupil should be able to see in the mirror.  I would rather them look for what they should be able to see and it will work on ALL cars with door mirrors.  Pupils aren't thick, they are more than capable of looking in a mirror and adjusting it to show what they should be seeing.

Nigel
(I credit my pupils with some intelligence!)

#16 16-03-08 09:15:02

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Nigel

Shame you dont have any with learning difficulties like i have

REMEMBER - it doesnt suit all !!

But i find it works, i have tried it in many cars, it has worked, the SE ADI at our test centre has said it also worked for her in different cars when checked.

It's not about looking "at" the handle m8, go try it, you never know,

as for:

Pupils aren't thick, they are more than capable of looking in a mirror and adjusting it to show what they should be seeing.

How do they know ? can you explain everything to everyone 100%

We may have to agree to disaggree on this one smile

#17 16-03-08 11:54:20

ExAdiNigel

Nigel

Shame you dont have any with learning difficulties like i have

I hope your not suggesting that because someone may have learning difficulties they don't have any intelligence.  Ones I have had in the past can be highly intelligent!

REMEMBER - it doesnt suit all !!

But i find it works, i have tried it in many cars, it has worked, the SE ADI at our test centre has said it also worked for her in different cars when checked.

It's not about looking "at" the handle m8, go try it, you never know,

Obviously it does work in setting the mirrors for you and your car.  Do you KNOW the pupil will definately buy a car like yours?  Explaining how to set the mirror by seeing what they should be able to see is transferable to practically any car.  Incidentally, the door handles show more or less in the places you suggest on my Focus, so it would work for positioning the mirror on the Focus.

as for:

Pupils aren't thick, they are more than capable of looking in a mirror and adjusting it to show what they should be seeing.

How do they know ? can you explain everything to everyone 100%

I very much doubt it.  Can anyone?   But if the worst comes to the worst, I can show them a photo of what they should be seeing and I wouldn't point out the door handle either!

The potential problem I see by using the position of the door handle is that that will be where they focus when checking the mirror - they may associate mirror with door handle.  Yes the error will show itself when you start noticing they didn't see a car that was coming alongside and you can then re-educate them.

We may have to agree to disaggree on this one smile

Maybe.

Nigel

#18 16-03-08 14:25:11

kjs
Verified Member
Website

My way of of adjusting the mirrors for pupils , is to set them so that the door handle sits on the bottom of the mirror itself, about to dissapear out of it. I have always done this. It works for me. When I checked them, I also found that the 7 o'clock / 5 o'clock method was true also.

Yes, everyone sits in a different position and so reference points do tend to change from person to person. But, because you are using a clock face as a reference, it will be the same for everyone. Some will tip mirrors lower than others, some higher, but the 5/7 o'clock stay constant for all.

Nice one who ever it was that mentioned it. 1 for me to try out on pupils, looks better than my own method

kjs

#19 16-03-08 20:42:26

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

NIGAL seems to be taking the "set-up" to litterally.

what you have to remember is, this is within the pupils first hour of learning, you give a guideline to where the mirror should be set, BUT also mention that you should see - half sky and  half ground, AND in doing so, you MAY find that the back door handle is in the bottom corner of the mirror, now if it is a 3 door car, the "back" handle wont be there, so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is where Nigal might be correct, BUT, on your own car for tuition, AGAIN.... you would emphasise "THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE"

GET IT NIGAL? ONLY A GUIDE

Driver CPC Trainer

#20 16-03-08 21:15:59

ExAdiNigel

Hmm, you make liberal use of the word 'Guide'.  A word significant in its absence from Disky's post!

By the way, Ekal,  Who's Nigal?  Or am I being too literal again?   big_smile

Nigel

#21 16-03-08 21:26:47

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Hmm, you make liberal use of the word 'Guide'.  A word significant in its absence from Disky's post!

Nigel

only a guide NIGAL, thats all it is

Driver CPC Trainer

#22 16-03-08 21:30:21

gs1974

IF it works!  I very much doubt it it works for all cars.

Sometimes, I wonder what planet you are from, Nigel. Seriously  roll

No one said ALL cars. Don't you ever listen to others? Jeez.

Some similar sort of setting technique will work for any car. You have to have some technique otherwise you may as well take the damned things off. There's no point using them if you can equally have them showing planes or gravel depending on how they've been set. Incidentally, look up the word 'set' in this context: you have to 'set' the mirrors, so there must be some reference for doing it consistently whatever car you're in  roll

Why not tell us what the (sorry, 'your') perfect method is?

Better still, stop trying to discredit whatever others do every time  roll

#23 16-03-08 21:37:17

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

NICE reply GS1974 - NIGAL seems hellbent on trying to booooooooo  hoooooooo others set ways, but, you seem to work on the same waivelength as the rest of us, SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I will continue with "door handle technique" :evil:

Driver CPC Trainer

#24 16-03-08 21:39:05

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Nigel

your site name explains your name is Nigel, WHY to you have to finish EVERY post with your name?

Driver CPC Trainer

#25 17-03-08 07:25:43

ExAdiNigel

adiNigel wrote:

IF it works!  I very much doubt it it works for all cars.

Sometimes, I wonder what planet you are from, Nigel. Seriously  roll

No one said ALL cars. Don't you ever listen to others? Jeez.

Some similar sort of setting technique will work for any car. You have to have some technique otherwise you may as well take the damned things off. There's no point using them if you can equally have them showing planes or gravel depending on how they've been set. Incidentally, look up the word 'set' in this context: you have to 'set' the mirrors, so there must be some reference for doing it consistently whatever car you're in  roll

And you wonder what planet I'm on?  Of course the mirrors have to be 'set', I certainly haven't said otherwise.

Why not tell us what the (sorry, 'your') perfect method is?

Is there a perfect method then?  I have never claimed to have perfect methods.

Better still, stop trying to discredit whatever others do every time  roll

I do not try to discredit whatever others do every time.  I suspect I would be kicked off the forum if I did (and rightly so!)

Nigel

Board footer