You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-03-08 21:14:57

EMMAJANE
Verified Member

me and my horse nearly got hit

by a car yesterday

we went for a hack on the roads we had bright reflectives on ,There were  road works ahead
so i put my arm up to slow traffic down as i had to go  into the cars  path as road works was to the left  anyway there was no cars coming , I  was still riding with my arm up to slow traffic down  so  i had to steer and control my horse with one hand then  all of a sudden this car was about one inch  away from my horses back leg  i didnt even see him get close till he was right beside me . i did call him a few names as  i  got a bit scared as i was thinking what could of happened  .

it was lucky my horse was good all he done was flinched as it made him jump if he was a naughty horse he could of reared up on to the car then it would of been serious

is it that drivers dont see us or are the rude

it was full day light
i had flashing lights on my arms and a tabards   and my horse had reflects on as well

em xx

x emma x
part 1 ..  passed ..dec 07
part 2 ... passed 31st march ....2 faults 
part 3 ...  on the pink [june]

01-03-08 21:14:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: me and my horse nearly got hit

#2 02-03-08 00:23:40

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Some drivers are unthinking idiots. Don't forget though, that the average driver has very little if any knowledge of horses and their psychology, which makes it worse.
There are 3 possibilities:

(1) The driver was an inattentive fool motoring along in a zombie state which many get into.
(2) The driver didn't have a clue as to the potential outcomes of getting close to a horse.
(3) All of the above.

I don't know much about horses either, I'm actually daunted by them. Probably because of their size, and having a childhood friend who was kicked hard by one (probably his fault). A neighbour had half the palm & 3 middle digits of a hand missing. I was a kid when I knew him too so I don't know what actually happened - but a girlfriend taught me that you have to offer a carrot palm upwards with fingers bent backwards.

She also taught me that when we went shopping for choice food prior to entertaining guests (I did the cooking), on the way home we had to drop by her horse and offer it the best of the veggies I had so carefully selected at the market. The guests had 2nd grade fare. I also learned that I had better not complain about it.   roll big_smile big_smile

When I conduct theory classes down here (we have a special program for learners), I sometimes bring up the subject of how to respond to a horse & rider.
I'm amazed at the number of learner drivers who show anger that horses are often ridden close to the edge of the road, they think they should be ridden in the rough stuff (we have lots of unfenced road down here). Some even suggested blowing their horn.

We have a Road User's Handbook which has a small section about the rules for riders & horse-drawn vehicles, but not a single mention of the requirements for drivers when encountering riders & horse-drawn vehicles. No questions about it in theory test either.
I'm talking about my particular part of Down Under, I don't know about the situation in the UK.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#3 02-03-08 08:08:02

Dimmy

Post edited as I am not an experienced enough  instructor to comment.

#4 02-03-08 08:33:45

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

What part of what post do you find disturbing?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 02-03-08 08:53:51

Dimmy

#6 02-03-08 08:59:04

chesney
Verified Member
Website

I am very confused Dimmy,can you please explain which part of Emma,s post is rude.I have just been on your web site it says Patient, friendly female instructor.I beg to differ.Have you had a bad day,or are you a little confused,cause I am.
I hope to goodness Emma doesn,t meet you whilst out riding,and  please teach your pupils the correct method of good practise when approaching and passing horses.
There is nothing at all that is and I quote utterly disturbing coming from a PDI as it does.You have insulted a PDI I think you need to apologize. You were a PDI once ,how one soon fogets.

Chesney(Lady)

#7 02-03-08 09:09:44

Dimmy

#8 02-03-08 09:48:49

kev elliott

Em,
Can you give some more details of the layout of the road?

Were the road works after a bend or were they on a straight road?
Could the car have emerged from a junction close to the road works?

Perhaps more importantly what will you differently to avoid this happening again?-and how can you use the experience to improve your teaching of learners?

I am thinking here of how do you teach your pupils to cope with muscle v motor situations - try getting them to consider when motor can safely disregard what muscle does or might do on the road? - I can think of a single instance as a result all motorists MUST consider what might happen and what they can do to minimise the effects.

For clarity muscle = cyclists, pedestrians, joggers, horse riders or anything else driven by muscle power, Motor = anything driven by a engine.

You could also include in dealing with horses some insight into how they are controlled not to make them into riders but to explain that "steering" a horse is not a simple case of using the reins to turn them left or right as this will cause the rear of the horse to swing out, but also to use your legs to keep the rear of the horse in as well. Perhaps explain the benefits and disadvantages of reining, for those of you who do not ride horses this is using the reins in one hand.

The other thing I like to bring in is the signifcance of a red ribbon in the tail of a horse - Any non horse riders know the answer?

Lastly I use the warning sign for riders to encoourage them to think why the sign has been put up - Is it because of the road layout or is it because there is a riding school nearby? - Then what are the implications of both -

- horses around bends
- Inexperienced riders
- Road surface "deposits"

Hope this helps   

#9 02-03-08 09:50:48

chesney
Verified Member
Website

I think you need to change you attitude mate.You can control a horse with one hand let me tell you.
I don,t know if you have noticed but horses do not have mirrors,so how can the rider see behind
How  the heck in your sad eyes could Emma have done it different.
Is is obvious to me you are one of those people  males who thinks he knows all ,but knows nothing in this case.If you were a man you would apologise.
Emma did have control of her horse,if she didn,t it would have bolted when the toe rag came within inches of her.It wasn,t you was it?cause with your attitude it seems this it what you would do.
No your reply does not clarify your original post,it has made it worse.

Chesney(Lady)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 02-03-08 13:39:16

ExAdiNigel

I think you need to change you attitude mate.You can control a horse with one hand let me tell you.

Yes I am sure you can, I can also steer a car and ride a bike one handed.  Doesn't mean that is the best way to do it though - I can have much more control by using two hands!  Emma actually states there was no traffic coming, so what is there to gain from riding one handed and holding one hand up to slow (non-existent) traffic?

I don,t know if you have noticed but horses do not have mirrors,so how can the rider see behind

I don't have mirrors on my push bike, but I am usually aware of what is around me.  The majority of people can use sight, sound and smell to anticipate the presence of other road users.

How  the heck in your sad eyes could Emma have done it different.
Is is obvious to me you are one of those people  males who thinks he knows all ,but knows nothing in this case.If you were a man you would apologise.

Actually, Dimmy most certainly is NOT one of those who thinks he knows it all.  You have been on this forum for long enough to know that Chesney.  Personally I don't see what he needs to apologise for I do, however, wonder whether you should be apologising to Dimmy for your assumptions & jumping to conclusions.

Emma did have control of her horse,if she didn,t it would have bolted when the toe rag came within inches of her.It wasn,t you was it?cause with your attitude it seems this it what you would do.
No your reply does not clarify your original post,it has made it worse.

Ches, try reading Dimmy's post again, I do have the feeling that you have read it totally out of context.  There are lessons in Emma's experience for all to learn from, including Emma.  Would she do the same again or would she behave differently?  I hope she would handle it differently.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 02-03-08 18:31:52

chesney
Verified Member
Website

Nigel,I do not understand you at all.I suggest you try reading Emma post again,you have read it totally out of context not I.There are no lessons for Emma to learn.Emma did not do anthing wrong what so ever.Would she do the same again,why yes of course she did nothing wrong.Tell me how she would handle it differently.No you can,t because Emma was correct.
Please elaborate how you would do it? I am interested.I am sick of people,s attitude today regarding horse riders.

Chesney(Lady)

#12 02-03-08 18:36:52

Dimmy

#13 02-03-08 18:52:07

den676
Verified Member

mmmm handbags at 5 paces comes into my mind  lol lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 02-03-08 18:55:44

ExAdiNigel

Nigel,I do not understand you at all.I suggest you try reading Emma post again,you have read it totally out of context not I.There are no lessons for Emma to learn.Emma did not do anthing wrong what so ever.Would she do the same again,why yes of course she did nothing wrong.Tell me how she would handle it differently.No you can,t because Emma was correct.
Please elaborate how you would do it? I am interested.I am sick of people,s attitude today regarding horse riders.

Attitude regarding horse-riders?  I don't think anyone on here has an attitude with horse riders, in fact there are some horse riding ADI's on here.

No lessons to learn?

How about....
Observation.  As has been mentioned already, vehicles do NOT appear from nowhere.  Sight, sound & smell combine to improve observation.

or, perhaps....
Control.  2 Hands will always give better control than 1 hand, with any mode of transport.  Removing 1 hand unnecessarily is crazy.  Remember Emma said there was no other traffic, so why remove one hand.

By the way, I have no problem with Horse-riders.  The fact that Emma was on a horse rather than a bike or on foot etc is entirely irrelevant.

The biggest lesson to learn from this is the observational one!

But!  The biggest thing that worries me, Chesney, is you statement that there are no lessons to learn.  There are ALWAYS lessons to be learnt from any incident.

Nigel

#15 02-03-08 18:59:37

Dimmy

#16 02-03-08 19:00:35

ExAdiNigel

I doubt it Kev.   big_smile big_smile

Nigel

#17 02-03-08 19:02:39

Dimmy

#18 02-03-08 19:11:43

chesney
Verified Member
Website

I have just come in from a lesson,I cannot believe the answers given here.No one has realised the car appeared from BEHIND he did not see Emma even though she was lit up like a xmas tree.The driver is in the wrong.
Drivers should watch out for horses on the road, especially when approaching bends and on narrow rural roads. They should always slow down when seeing a horse and drive past slowly, giving them plenty of room and being ready to stop if necessary. Drivers should never sound their horn or rev their engine neRiders are seated higher than drivers and often, therefore, have a better view and may be able to see a hazard the driver cannot see. Drivers should look out for signals from horse riders and be ready to slow down or stop as indicated.by the rider in this case Emma.
So I am glad you have learnt a lesson and admit you are wrong    Nuff said.

Chesney(Lady)

#19 02-03-08 19:23:24

Dimmy

#20 02-03-08 19:45:04

DampDog
Verified Member

Hmm could someone tell me when you where all appointed judge, jury and executioner? I must have missed that post. I didn't see anything in em's original post that asked for advice or help. Without even seeing the situation you pretty much made up you own minds on what happened, without so much as a second comment from emm. Then devolved to thread into petty sarcasitic remarks. i wish I was perfect and could analyse a situation form a few sentences on a thread it must be a gift.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#21 02-03-08 19:59:50

chesney
Verified Member
Website

Hi Guys,
No one is being sarcastic at all  just having a nice debate whats wrong with that?don,t take that as a sarcastic remark either.,just to remind you all of highway code rule no 215 

Horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles. Be particularly careful of horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles especially when overtaking. Always pass wide and slowly. Horse riders are often children, so take extra care and remember riders may ride in double file when escorting a young or inexperienced horse or rider. Look out for horse riders’ and horse drivers’ signals and heed a request to slow down or stop. Take great care and treat all horses as a potential hazard; they can be unpredictable, despite the efforts of their rider/driver. Emma was in fact giving a signal this is why she had 1 hand controlling the horse.     Best Wishes      x

Chesney(Lady)

#22 02-03-08 20:13:51

den676
Verified Member

so ya not gonna give dimmy a slap then Chesney?  lol lol

#23 02-03-08 20:18:17

Dimmy

#24 02-03-08 20:42:03

Karenadi
Verified Member

OMG what is up with you lot?

Vulnerable road user springs to mind - and must be treated with all due care and attention at all costs by all at all times.  No issue.  Whether Emma gave any directions or not: standard common sense comes first: of couse that can be lacking in many I suppose.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#25 02-03-08 20:46:14

Dimmy

Board footer