You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-03-05 00:06:16

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Question for Part 2 fans

Reverseing behind a parked car is my problem.

When pulling up beside the parked car you're going to park behind, just past it actually, you should be able to see the back of the car in your back window. My trainer told me with the Nissan Micra (new style) to reverse slowly until the parked car disappears from the back window. Doing the obs checks you turn the steering wheel a half turn always moving very slowly until the nearside mirror covers the reg plate of the parked car then you put full lock on to the right and the car should just roll into place then streighten up all done and dusted.

HOWEVER I'm doing the test in my little red Metro due to situations beyond my control, but I just can't get this manouver sorted out. I've tried turning the wheel a half turn - no good, 3/4 of a turn a bit better a full turn is too much and when I do find the right turn I still cock up unsure where to put the full lock on - it produces different results every time. I'm frustrated with this one. I think I have dusted the other manouvers - I hope!.

Any advise or suggestions would be great. Many Many thanks in advance.

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

10-03-05 00:06:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Question for Part 2 fans

#2 10-03-05 00:10:02

disappointed

Hi Simon, try this one then:

Pull up alongside, slightly ahead and about a metre away from target car.

Reverse slowly until passenger door mirror appears to line up with drivers door mirror of target car, then put in one turn left.

Car swings out.....imagine that you're on a clock face with 12 in front of target and 6 behind. Let car continue to go around until it's pointing to the 2 o'clock position, then briskly steer to full lock right.

Nose comes in parallel to kerb, steer to left to straighten then back to finish.

This method has the advantage that you only need to look at the target car for that original reference point, then you can ignore it. Don't forget the all round obs, etc, and to try to maintain a slow walking speed from start to finish.

#3 10-03-05 00:25:09

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Thank you dissappointed, I will have a go at that one. Do you have a remedy for if the car is pointing the other way?

Regards

#4 10-03-05 02:09:24

simonmd

Use the parked car's rear 'C' pillar instead of the wing mirror as a reference? (If it's a saloon could also use the rear door handle).

#5 10-03-05 08:43:07

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Another one is:

Back till the top of your rear seat is in line with the rear of the target vehicle.
One turn to the left (Fast hands, slow car)
Back till the car is at 45 degrees to the curb
Two turns to the right (Fast hands, slow car)
Back till the car is parallel to the curb
One turn to the left (Fast hands, slow car)

Stop at each point for observation checks and to ensure the car is moving slowly during the steering changes.

This works in any car. The variable to play with is choosing the point when you are are 45 degrees to the curb.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#6 10-03-05 10:16:26

terri

hey ,
i had real problems with this too, but have found a great way to do it and get it consistent every time about 2 inches from the kerb. This is what i do

pull up just ahead of target car
Reverse back untill your shoulder is level with the middle of the first wheel.
Stop do your obsThen as you reverse back quickly turn the wheel 3/4 to the left ( half if you have power steering)
Then when your wing mirror is covering the corner of the car (stop and do obs) Turn the wheel 3/4 (or half) back untill it is straight.
Thhen keep going back and when your back wheel is about a drains width away from the kerb quickly steer  full lockright and the car will straighten up
Then steer as appropriate to park.

I find this way great. I have been told that if you get a bay park you wont have to do this, does anyone know if this is true?
if so i am praying that i get pp as bay parking is a nightmare for me
Let me know how you get on if you try this way
Terri
xxx

This parrot is dead
Has ceased to exist
Gone to the cage in the sky

ha ha ha still alive and squawking!

#7 10-03-05 13:15:11

Nimrod

Hi Terri,

On your Part 2, the SE can ask you to perform any or all of the manouvers.

If I were you, I would practice my bay parking, especially if there are parking bays at the DTC where you do your test. Also make sure you practice your Right-Hand reversing as well as your LH.

Good luck.

Nim

#8 10-03-05 13:23:04

arib
Verified Member
Website

'C' Pillars
12, 6, & 2 o'clock
Drains width.
:?  :?  :?
What is a 'C' pillar? How wide is a drain cover? Can everyone visualise 2 o'clock. These are all variables and peoples understanding of them will be different.

MrBassMan has a tried and tested system. The difficulty is when is the correct time to steer 2 to the right. This point will need to be set up for each individual according to height, seat position etc. the system I use is to watch the kerb in the rear window. It's easy to spot and doesn't alter. It will work it's way along the rear window towards the bottom offside corner of the rear screen. It's in this area you need to turn 2 to the right. If you come in to hit the kerb then make the turn/point a little earlier. If you end up to wide then make the turn/point a little later. Once success is gained then this is the set point to remember. However, don't forget the other factors involved. Speed of car and how the pupil uses the hands. Then it's plenty of practise to get it consistent.

Terri,
Bay park or parallel park. You will only get one of them on a driving test but could get all manoeuvres on a part 2

arib

#9 10-03-05 21:39:09

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your tips everybody,
I have a feeling it's like a moving goal post, it's different for everybody, but will try out Terri's move and MrBassman's and see if I can uniform something.
Thanks again

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 11-03-05 20:18:13

Calex

Nimrod wrote:

On your Part 2, the SE can ask you to perform any or all of the manouvers.

On Part 2 you will be asked to carry out:
A Controlled Stop
A Reverse Left
A Reverse Right
The Turn in the Road
And either Bay Park or Parallel Parl, Not both of them

The Bay Park is normally carried out at the Test Centre either at the begining or at the end of the test.

Calex

#11 13-03-05 20:59:08

Nimrod

Hi Calex,

Have you actually read my post??

I DID say any of them or all of them!! 

Many posters on these forums had to perform all of the manoevers. I did not have to on my part 2.

I did say practice bay parks - especially if the DTC has parking bays!!

Duh.

#12 13-03-05 21:39:39

Calex

Nimrod

You will be required to complete all of the list I submitted on a Part 2 Exam

Not any of them.

#13 13-03-05 22:31:15

luchell

i know a few  of people who didnt have both left and right reverse around a corner. they only had the one. not sure if they were running out of time due to traffic or something

#14 14-03-05 07:20:59

Nimrod

Hi Calex,

Sorry to be so pedantic BUT............................

On my Part 2, I did not do a LH Reverse, a parallel reverse park or a bay park.

Taken direct from ADI 1:

Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their ability to perform all or any of the following manoeuvres: -

Move away straight ahead or at an angle; Overtake, meet or cross the path of other vehicles and take an appropriate course; Turn right-hand and left-hand corners; Stop the vehicle as in an emergency; Drive the vehicle backwards and whilst so doing enter limited openings to the right & the left; Reverse parking exercise; Turn the vehicle round in the road to face the opposite direction by use of forward and reverse gears.

Best regards,

Nim

#15 14-03-05 08:27:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I like the thinking on Aribs post. I've looked at oh so many methods over the years and they all have far too many variables and things people can't quite understand.

Because the kerb is your target you shouldn't need to worry too much about parking alongside the car any way. It can be a big car thats badly parked or a mini with wheels touching the kerb.

I simply say one turn to the left, find your steering point (which is normally when the road disappears in the offside corner of the back window, you can see this in your mirror as well!) and then one and a half turns to the right.

Once they have practised for a while their judgement develops and you can have them adapt it for bends. But on test day when judgement deserts so many of them it's simple enough to remember.

But it's my strongest manouevre and havn't had a fail for years on this one.

I also teach a similar method for parking between two cars, it just has a bit more steering to do.

Regards,

#16 15-03-05 22:51:15

disappointed

These sort of questions are great, as it's always handy to have more than one option available to you when teaching - there's always one pupil who doesn't get your tried and trusted method.

#17 15-03-05 22:54:40

Anonymous

When I took my part 2 I did ALL of the manoeuvres including the bay park, at beginning of test, AND the parallel park.  I got the lot!

Wessex.

#18 16-03-05 00:22:44

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi all

Over the past two years my PDI's have used the same TC

Usually they have been asked to do

Both rev left and right (never had anyone in 3 years not do both)
Turn in road
Reverse park OR parallel park (some have done both)
Emerg stop
Up and Down hill starts
Angled starts

I know this can vary from TC to TC so be prepared for all or some of them depending on SE

As the book says you MAY be asked to perform all or any of the mans

I keep records of all the test passes and the mans done to see what the driver error record is on each candidate

regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#19 16-03-05 10:38:17

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

I have my part 2 test today - nervious as heck.
This manouver is different for my car.
Once I have pulled up to the target car and reversing. The point the car dissappears from the back window I need to do a full turn of the wheel to the left until my car reached about 45 degrees then streighten up reverse a little on the straighted up then full lock to the right should just about do it. worked yesterday so it better work today.
Will let you all know later how many manouvers I had to do.
Thanks for all for your comments.

#20 16-03-05 18:55:39

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Sibeks -How did it go today?

Good big_smile  or bad mood :cry:

Regards,

#21 16-03-05 19:20:52

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for asking BR.
It was  sad  as I scored too many minor errors 9 in fact but no serious or dangerous ones but still !!!!!!!! annoyed with myself.

One was the turn in the road as I have refered to this already on this site it happend - was almost completing the excersize then a car showed up followed my a scooter, made eye contact which is ok but as I moved away I forgot to look left. I know I would have done this if no one interupted my move. Another one was I had to pull on on a 40mph speed limit road, I signalled to pull over which was ok as cars where in the distant but then the SE told me to move off when I'm ready. It was here I went wrong as I should have waited. I'm very  sad  at the moment, rebooked for April 20th.
Have yourselves a fine day
Regards.

#22 17-03-05 21:42:42

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

By the way from the top of the thread, I ended up not doing a reverse park but still managed to fail - what a pain!

#23 17-03-05 22:29:39

Django

Okay, Let's put this to bed once and for all.

My advice is to listen to Wessex and practice 'all of them' and expect to do 'all of them'.

I, like Wessex, had to perform all of the manouvres during my part II.

this included Bay, as well as parallel parking.

Be Prepared to do the full house. If you don't have to then that's a bonus but don't think that because you parallel parked while out that you won't have to bay when you get back to the test centre.

#24 20-03-05 09:18:56

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi guys,
Like Django and Wessex, I did all the manouevres on my Pt 2 and was told to expect this early on in my Pt 2 training.
Make sure you practice them all and you won't be caught out is all I can say on that one. I know we all get hung up on some manouevres, mine was the right reverse... I absolutely !!!!!!!! hated the thing  :x ... but I stuck at it and got there in the end.
Cheers,
Shrek
PS... Good luck for the 20th April Sibeks. Keep your head up, you WILL get there in the end mate and you'll be bouncing when the examiner says you've passed!

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#25 20-03-05 09:37:00

sparkle

I also did ALL the mans

rev park
t.i.r
L & R reverse corver
Bay park
E-stop
Up hill starts

8)

Board footer