You are not logged in.

#1 23-02-08 11:31:48

Chipman

1 Good 1 Bad

Hello everyone
I'm new to this forum.I had about 8 lessons a year ago and found it too stressfull and quit knowing just the basics.
I have now started up again and have done 6 lessons(2 a week 1hr each).My problem is I don't seem to be moving on from what I already know.I learnt the controls and general driving within about 4-5 lessons last year and even though I have now done more lessons I still feel like most lessons I come back knowing the same or sometimes knowing less.
I went out with my instructer last week and it was great I was confident and enjoying it and when we finished the instructer was obviosly impressed and talking about moving onto dual carriageways and busy junctions.But the next day I went out and I just could'nt find the groove I had the day before.It seems I just have to be really in the mood to do it and I can drive quite good.
I was thinking maybe 1 2hr lesson a week might be better instead of 2 1hr.
Coming back from a lesson that makes u feel worse than u did just feels like such a waste of money.
Also the car I am driving has a very sensitive quiet clutch and finding the bite can be hard as there is not much vibration threw the clutch pedal untill on the verge of stalling.The car I drove last year used to be able to move of on a flat with no gas making manouvres slowly a joy(well just a touch of gas).This car demands gas but getting a slight slow bite for manouvres seems harder to find.
Any tips for getting consistency and progression?Is this something I should raise with the instructer?Or just get a new one
Also I cannot help but want to learn as quick as possible as I really do need my own transport to get to work.
Anyhow I rambling now.I'm 28yrs old btw.

23-02-08 11:31:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1 Good 1 Bad

#2 23-02-08 12:28:20

Shazzer

Hi Chipman,
I know how you feel! I have now had 12 lessons, mostly one hour but one hour and a half. I felt just like you every week, until recently. It's taken me 16 years to start to learn ( i'm 33 btw), I was terrified at even turning the engine on. Now the last two lessons, I have enjoyed it, I want to drive (something I never thought would happen). I used to come away from lessons focusing on what I had done wrong and feeling really upset, (I'm just so crap etc) and having to be in the mood to drive.
I drive a focus for my lessons and I try to drive my husband Modeo, which is very different, very heavy totally different clutch, spongier brakes(which I prefer!) and demands much more gas than the focus for manouveres and pulling off (I stall it a lot).

You WILL get it, it takes time, I still, especially on reversing, am saying "where's the bite gone?" RELAX. I certainly try to drive more than once a week, once with instructor and out with hubby (still nervous on the roads in his big car, so still on quiet estates) but feel much more comfortable driving every couple of days than leaving it a week, keeps the confidence up.

I'm sure you will get lots of tips here from other people, take care and keep going! big_smile

Sharon

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 24-02-08 03:18:11

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

If you have any concerns, always raise them with your instructor. Then if you're still unsatisfied you might think about changing.

The problems you discuss are quite typical, all learner drivers face them, especially in modern cars with improved sound-proofing. It's also a problem facing someone who is desperate to get their licence ASAP as it adds extra stress to the learning experience.
It's also normal to seemingly "slide backwards" a bit - not every lesson which ends with a smile is followed by a lesson with a similar outcome.

When learning to fly I discovered 2 features about learning:
The first is that sometimes you feel permanently stuck at a certain level, wondering if you will ever progress. Then suddenly one day, as if by magic, you are over the hump and things start to sail on.
The other is the situation I referred to above.

The first thing you should think of is, THE PROBLEM IS NOT YOU!

Ooops power fail, I gotta wind this up before my computer drops out.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer