You are not logged in.

#1 13-02-08 19:31:47

jon

Roundabout 3 lanes

I have to take a different route daily now and come across a three lane roundabout.  I have to take the right exit, the very last exit before I would be back on the road I started.  All the roads off the roundabout are dual carriageways.

On approach are three lanes, one for left, one for ahead, one for right - this is simple enough, i take the right one.

On the roundabout I stay on the rightmost lane, then it sort of takes you into the middle lane (i.e. hatched markings in the lane I was in, at about 12 o'clock if I approach from 6 o'lock) but before it forces you right into that middle lane, it splits back off into two, i.e. again there are 3 lanes.

I assume I should stay in the middle lane now?  The reason I ask is a car appeared on my offside and I wondered how he got there unless he took the same route as me and moved back in - he left onto the left lane of the dual carriageway like I did.  Was I in the wrong?

13-02-08 19:31:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Roundabout 3 lanes

#2 13-02-08 20:20:00

ExAdiNigel

General rule, if your lane splits off into 2 lanes, go straight for the left of the two.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 13-02-08 20:46:41

jon

Thanks, just wanted to check as this driver got very close to the back of my car as I slowed for the lights.

The other problem with roundabouts since passing my test is those with two lanes on approach, but which seem impossible to have two cars pass at once - to turn left without crossing into the path of another driver is too tight (I reckon impossible without driving over the kerb) - these roundabouts seem unique to supermarkets!

Board footer