You are not logged in.

#1 05-02-08 21:08:41

Eldavidas

Sharp corners

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.  I learning to drive a fairly powerful Mazda and have got my practical test booked soon. 

Whenever I turn into a sharp corner of about 90 degrees, I tend to use gear 2.  However, the car starts juddering and feels as though it may stall.  However, if I were to switch to gear 1, the car completely slows down or the engine revs.

What's the best way to take these types of corners? I'm either too slow for gear 2 or too fast for gear 1.  Would it be considered too cautious if I completely slowed down to take these types of corners on the test?

Thanks in advance

05-02-08 21:08:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Sharp corners

#2 05-02-08 21:18:10

ExAdiNigel

What has your instructor told you?  He is the best placed person to help you rather than someone who has never seen you drive.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-02-08 21:21:56

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi Eldavidas, welcome to the forum, you will find lots of helpful tips on here from instructors and other learner drivers.

You say you are driving a powerful mazda.  My 1st question with regard to your query would be is the car diesel or petrol?
If its diesel then there is more likely to be a surge of power from the engine when the speed drops too low for the gear you have selected, causing some juddering like you describe, and almost pulling you faster than you want to go.

Generally on a 90 degree junction provided the road you are entering isnt very narrow, then 2nd gear is usually fine with a speed of no more than 10mph.  If the road is narrow or at a more acute angle, (or even if there are parked cars quite close)then its best to use 1st gear at around 5mph.

If you can get your speed right down with the footbrake and then aim to have the gear selected and clutch back out again before you need to steer, this will give better results.

The surgeing effect happens mostly (in my car, ive noticed) if the brakes have to be used after the gear change.

Hope this helps, and Im sure some other people will add to this.

Jonny

#4 05-02-08 21:24:35

Eldavidas

Well, when I'm using his car, he would say gear 2.  In his car I'm fine taking those corners.  It's the car I'm learning in at home.  I should probably say it's never actually stalled going round the corner.  It just "judders".

#5 05-02-08 21:27:03

Eldavidas

The car I'm learning to drive in is diesel.  Should have mentioned that  roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 05-02-08 21:34:47

Eldavidas

If you can get your speed right down with the footbrake and then aim to have the gear selected and clutch back out again before you need to steer, this will give better results.

Hmm, I'll give this a try next time I'm out.  Thanks

#7 08-02-08 14:03:46

Jakey
Verified Member

Hi

The judder you describe in a diesel is quite normal, think of it as an anti stalling feature. You can stop it from happening by briefly pushing the clutch down then releasing it as soon as the judder starts or if you suspect it will happen. This is acceptable on test.

To stop it happening, try selecting 2nd gear earlier so the car has time to settle before turning, make sure you have your speed set early and you are not pushing the brake as you start to turn. If the judder happens only on sharp corners then i suspect your too slow when turning. Try moving out more towards the middle of the road on approach. This will allow a faster turn therefore 2nd gear will be apprpriate. Try watching someone elses speed in that car when turning. Hope it helps.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

Board footer