You are not logged in.

#1 03-02-08 18:27:34

dog
Verified Member

Went through a red light today.

Hi all, quite angry but also pleased today that I could have had 3 points and a fine as I went through a red light. I didn't do it on purpose and although I suppose it could be attributed to lack of attention, it wasn't completely my fault. I was on my way home in the rain and on this stretch of road there is a minor road which joins this major road, and a few metres afterwards there is a pelican crossing. I was coming along when some idiot comes zooming down from the minor road and when I saw the speed he was doing it looked like he wasn't planning to stop (didn't look if anything was coming) so I jammed the brakes on and luckily he did the same, stopping about half way over the line. I looked at him and muttered a swear word and while I was concentrating on going around him (mirror checks etc) and changing gear, I didn't realise that someone had pressed the button to cross the road and the lights had gone red. By the time I saw the red light I was maybe 3 metres from the line and doing 30 mph. As soon as I realised what was happening I braked as hard as I could but couldn't manage to stop before the line, actually I ended up half way over it. Luckily the girl that had pressed it hadn't started to cross yet.

When it turned green I carried on my way home but then suddenly realised, I knew there were red light cameras down there so I turned around and went back to down check, but to my relief the red light cameras were actually on the next set of traffic lights about 50 metres along the road. Few. Though I can't help think how much worse it could have been if it was a mother with a push chair and she was already half way across. Though I don't think it had been red for that long because when I looked before that car pulled out in front of me it was still green, and that was only a few seconds before.

03-02-08 18:27:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Went through a red light today.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-02-08 06:36:25

ExAdiNigel

....I didn't do it on purpose and although I suppose it could be attributed to lack of attention, it wasn't completely my fault. ....

Oh yes it was.  Don't for one minute think it wasn't completely your fault.  Yes all the mirror checks are important, but so is looking ahead too!  You wouldn't normally only check behind before pulling away would you?

Learn from the experience and all will be well!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 13-02-08 13:21:57

dog
Verified Member

I know but it's also not every day you have to jam on the brakes to avoid a crash due to someone else's careless driving is it?

And I suppose with my lack of experience, I didn't really know what to do.

#4 13-02-08 20:22:12

ExAdiNigel

I appreciate you had added distractions and stress, but I don't want you to try and fool yourself into thinking it wasn't totally your own fault you went through the red light.

By accepting full responsibility you are more likely to learn from the experience and be much less likely to let happen again!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 13-02-08 21:32:50

alt
Verified Member

hiya, dog . i have to agree with nigel on this one. take it as a lesson learnt.

Board footer