You are not logged in.

#1 31-01-08 12:06:51

Shazzer

Short person having difficulty reversing!

I had my first lot of reversing yesterday, in a straight line and turn in the road.
I'm short at 5'1" and found that in order to see out the back window clearly, I had to pull myself round, but then my foot was coming up on the clutch too much and I was going too quickly. Also, because I have to pull myself round, I only have one hand on the wheel and can't get to full lock quickly when reversing, or I get both hands on but cannot turn back properly!!

Any advice welcome, is it case of practice? Or wooden blocks on my feet  wink

31-01-08 12:06:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Short person having difficulty reversing!

#2 31-01-08 12:15:12

Dimmy

Several options for you to try.
The first is to shuffle your bum to the edge of the seat and turn around from there.
It is acceptable to cross your hands while the car is moving slowly, so if you find it easy, you can move both hands to the left side of the wheel and  use the hand over hand method to control the steering from just 1 side of the steering wheel.

You dont have to REMAIN looking through the back window the WHOLE time the car is going in reverse, so long as you are looking there and taking effective observations,  you can get references from the side windows too, but do try to look rearward often to watch out for activity behind the car.

Self Edit:
Although it is considered bad practice to do so due to possible damage to tyres and steering, you could put all the steering on before the car moves (dry steering) or try to get it on with the car moving very slowly. It is physically possible to get full lock applied with the car movement of about 3 inches if you have quick hands, and this will reduce the effects of wear, just ensure you have looked behind before the car moves backwards. (In other words, you can look all round the car, including rear wards, start the car moving slowly then turn forwards and get the steering done before looking rearward again.

#3 31-01-08 12:17:40

Shazzer

Thanks Dimmy.
I will try to get out in my Hubby's car and practice, his is longer than the instructors, so in theory, if I can do it in his, I should have no problem! big_smile

#4 02-02-08 09:59:10

Josephs Grandad

You could try an additional Mirror on Passenger side to use and apply for a Disabled Test, don't be offended by this suggestion, it just gets you extra time to complete the Reverse if you get it on test. I have used it many times in the past rather than let pupils struggle on a Test better to get extra time, the D/ex will ask you a few questions about your restricted movement whilst reversing and away you go.

#5 02-02-08 13:14:58

Shazzer

Do you not have to prove you are disabled then? How bizarre! I will see how I go, had a migraine for two days so not been out. Thanks

#6 02-02-08 14:36:10

Josephs Grandad

No, You might have to give some details when you book Test and then on the day, you get a double slot ,to show because of whatever reason you are unable to do it in 1 slot. Why struggle when you could go down this route. Your Instructor should guide you on this matter.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 03-02-08 11:27:29

kjs
Verified Member
Website

If you have electric mirrors on your car [ easier to adjust before and after reversing], turn the nearside mirror down so that you can see the kerb and the rear of your car. You are allowed to do this on test, so long has you reset the mirror after the reverse. If you forget, and then notice that you forgot, tell the examiner that you are going to pull over and re-set it. You won't have a problem with it.

What I will add is, don't just look into the mirror, be it doing what i have just said, or using the wide angled mirror has mentioned before. Make sure that you still make proper and effective observations by looking around in to the blind spots and out of the rear window.

I use this technique with my pupils and have never in 8 years had any problems what so ever with it.

You could also try sitting on a cusion, that will adjust your seating position enough to help you reach the pedals and see out of the window.

Hope this helps.

kjs

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 03-02-08 13:15:34

jq

If you have electric mirrors on your car [ easier to adjust before and after reversing], turn the nearside mirror down so that you can see the kerb and the rear of your car. You are allowed to do this on test, so long has you reset the mirror after the reverse. If you forget, and then notice that you forgot, tell the examiner that you are going to pull over and re-set it. You won't have a problem with it.

What I will add is, don't just look into the mirror, be it doing what i have just said, or using the wide angled mirror has mentioned before. Make sure that you still make proper and effective observations by looking around in to the blind spots and out of the rear window.

I use this technique with my pupils and have never in 8 years had any problems what so ever with it.

You could also try sitting on a cusion, that will adjust your seating position enough to help you reach the pedals and see out of the window.

Hope this helps.

kjs

I use the same as above. Also try having a cushion behind you as this brings you forward rather than up. If you can see nothing through the back window try using the interior mirror when you take a glance to the front to look for approaching traffic. As long as your all round obs are 'effective' there shouldn't be a problem. (If something is coming you must be able to see it and react accordingly)

#9 05-02-08 07:59:49

lindag
Verified Member
Website

I cant remember where I heard it, or where you buy them from..........I have a few short people who also have this problem, and I was told you can buy some sort of step??? that feet under your heels to raise them up, dont know how it would stay fixed, think they're from the mobility driving shop.
Not much help am i   roll
Linda

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 05-02-08 14:05:52

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I cant remember where I heard it, or where you buy them from..........I have a few short people who also have this problem, and I was told you can buy some sort of step??? that feet under your heels to raise them up, dont know how it would stay fixed, think they're from the mobility driving shop.
Not much help am i   roll
Linda

Try a phone book under the mat , a bit cheaper than buying something.

kjs

Board footer