You are not logged in.

#1 06-03-05 01:48:50

simonmd

HELP! Can I withdraw from training and get money back?

No, I still realy want to be an ADI but am starting to worry about the training time. I've signed up with BSM who assured me that the training would take no more than 4-6 mths with it being possible to start earning on a pink licence after 3.

After reading up and getting some feedback from this excellent forum, i'm begining to fear this is impossible and at least 12 mths is to be expected. As i'm only working part time, this is too long.

My question is, should I wish to find a quicker and more cost effective way of training, can I cancel and get my money back. As I understand the law, all contracts made these days have a 'cooling off period' of at least 14 days. As I only signed up on 28th Feb, am I within the law to request it canceled?

Any thoughts or advise would be gratefully recieved.

06-03-05 01:48:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HELP! Can I withdraw from training and get money back?

#2 06-03-05 09:57:05

Ammanvalley

I'm not sure on the law but I don't think you always have a cooling off period.  You can cancel but they won't tell you how much refund you will get unless you put it in writing that you wish to cancel then they tell you the refund amount!  It is possible to train quicker than than you are saying, it's taken me ages but I have had problems like work wouldn't let me have time off so I had to cancel lessons and rearrange tests etc.  It's the waiting time for tests that also causes a problem, you can be waiting for over 2 months.  My test was cancelled in April 2004 the day before I was due to go because of examiner illness and I didn't get given a new test date until the end of June - they are supposed to try and do it within 3 weeks!! Not BSM's fault for once but that is where they then let me down.  I had no training hours left, was all geared up for the test, then was left stranded.  No more lessons left and I had until June to fall back into bad habits and get out of practise.  I did alot on my own but it didn't give me confidence and why should I be doing it alone, I paid them a fortune, training hours should be as required not a set amount. Book your Part 2 as soon as you have the part 1 that's what I wish I'd done, you can always change the date if you aren't ready.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 06-03-05 10:02:14

Ammanvalley

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/cme/live/cme982.htm

Guide to cooling off periods

#4 06-03-05 15:50:29

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

It may still be possible for you to get a trainee lic in 6 months speak to BSM about your fears before making hasty decisions

Even if you "go it alone" saying you get a refund you will then have to find a sponser and that can take months as you will see by the questions on this forum

You will have to pass the exams first time to be in with a chance of this so it really wont make any difference Who you train with if you cannot get the exam dates or keep failing

As I said speak to BSM get your part 1 booked for say 4 weeks time and study 2 hours a day

Then see if you can start your part 2 training now so when you have passe the part 1 your can apply for the part 2 or take a cancellation if you are ready

Even then this is not the best way to get your pink - its too much pressure and we do not encourage our L drivers to learn like this

Finally what happens if you dont qualify in the six months you have a pink licence? there may be a 4 month wait for a part 3 in which case you can only have the one attempt before your lic expires

Have a good think even if it means taking a second part time job to keep the bills at bay while you do the part 1 and 2

Good luck  lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#5 06-03-05 23:59:17

Anonymous

I think you'll find that the cooling off period you talk about is if you invite someone to your home who has cold called.  If you sign a contract during the period he is at your home then you have a statuatory cooling off period but if you visit them and sign a contract then, unless they offer a cooling off period, you may find you are stuck with it.  After all, it was your choice.  You chose to visit them not the other way round.

A visit to Citizens Advice should give you the definate answer.

Wessex.

#6 07-03-05 00:29:21

luchell

if i pass part two in may it will still have taken me 6 months to get there. i dont think bsm will be happy to start your part two onroad training without passing part one the furthest we were told we would get is to the 2nd on road for part two training if we hadnt passed the part one first time. luckily i did and am getting on well with the part 2 training. i am finding bsm to be great so far. but its like anything i want to be a d.i as much as its possible to want anything but i accept i cant go any faster. if your driving needs alot of work to pass part two it will take even longer. its seems to be a longish road but im prepared to keep doing my best til its over. good luck with your decision.

#7 07-03-05 00:33:35

luchell

did bsm honestly tell you it would be 3 months before you could go on a pink and 4 to 6 months to finish??!! i was told 9mths to a year when i attended interview and ive not met anyone on the course yet thats been on a pink within 3 months. im sure independently you could do it slightly quicker if you got quick test dates put in a hell of alot of work in a short period of time. did they really assure you? youve also got to do quite a few written assignments to. before starting the course i had no idea how much id have to learn i thought i could do it really quickly being an advanced driver already etc, but after talking to them on interview it was made clear it was not as simple as the ads may seem. so they were very honest with me

#8 07-03-05 00:34:22

simonmd

Hmm, I think you may be right there. :? Don't get me wrong, i'm not getting cold feet about being an ADI or BSM (yet!) but hope i've not been lied to by them that's all. If they'd said it could be 12-18 mths initialy, i'd not have signed with them and tried a more independant route. However, it may be the case that shorter waiting times may meen that it won't take that long after all. Looking at the DSA web site (pinch of salt I know) it says waiting times are 4 weeks for Bridgend and only 1 for Swansea. Still, i'll be having a word with BSM tomorrow and see what they say.

#9 09-03-05 21:06:27

simonmd

Update for you that may also be of help to other BSM trainees.

Went into the office today to get the training moved up a gear. Told them the training dates I had been given, 4th April (on road 1 or assesment drive) and 24th May (In house 1 or theory classroom work) before I can apply for my part one test! They were genuinely surprised and were straight on the phone to the main training center. They've managed to get one of their local instructors to fit me in for the on road assessment next Tue instead of waiting until next month to go to Bath for it. This means they can move me up to the 28th of THIS month for my classroom bit for part 1.

I told them that I felt confident to take my part 1 now, as i've spent all weekend practising the theory and HPT on their CDRoms and consistantly have been getting high pass marks. They said sure but they will not normally enter a pupil for part 1 until THEY are sure they are fit to do so as it would reflect badly on them if they failed and it imerged that the pupil had had no classroom training. Fair enough I said but as the test can be cancelled at 3 days notice without a charge, how about applying for the test now for a few days after my rescheduled classroom meeting and then if they are not happy that i'm ready they can advise me to cancel it. They aggreed!

So, in one quick meeting, i've saved nearly TWO MONTHS worth of training as if i'd waited until 24th May before applying i'd be doing my part 1 in early June but now should be doing it at the start of April!

So, BSM trainees everywhere, if you are flexible and can take appointments, cancelations, etc. at short notice, keep pestering BSM and get that waiting time down. After all, YOU are the customer!

#10 10-03-05 07:31:09

Nimrod

Hi Simond,

I am surprised that so many people believe that BSM can stipulate whether (or not) you go for your Part 1 or Part 2.

If YOU believe you are ready for it, go for it! Why do you need an "on-road" assessment unless it is to assess your "suitability" to become an ADI. I fully understand that BSM's "integrated" aproach to training means that you will be learning more than you need for your Part 1.

BUT . . . . . . . . .

It's not up to them to "enter" you for the test. If you want to do it - DO IT!!

Nim

#11 10-03-05 12:55:12

simonmd

Quite, that's what I told them and then things started moving. The only sticking point is they've got the money for the test fee and I was reluctant to pay it again and then try to claim it back. I'm sure, being a big company, they'd find a way to withhold it because i'd 'breached their training contract' or something. Bound to be something in the smallprint they could use.  roll

#12 11-03-05 08:10:40

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

The examination date is a contract between the examiner and yourself

You may by law enter the examination at any time and when you feel you are ready

You may (like a lot of training establishments) have a contract stating that you may only take an exam when your trainer says you are ready

Or training may be withdrawn

I had a problem with this a year ago

A PDI thought he was ready (I didnt) and took test Part 2 without telling me he failed 9 driver faults 2 serious (I did not take responsibilty as  i did not know he took it) and he only had 3 hours training!!!

I spoke to my legal chap who said I had no right to withdraw training unless I could PROVE that my assessment of his driving was correct (and of course he may pass)

Now there is no such thing as a qualified ADI trainer as there is no syllabus and no requirement to be an ADI so therefore there are no grounds or goal posts (get it yet)

even ordit does not count as there again are no yardsticks to measure an ADI's performance by

Of course what makes it worse is that the pass rate for part 3 is so low - so the courts could argue we dont know what we are doing??? is there any other training where only 1 in 4 get through?

Where as to assess a L driver YOU MUST be qualified (minimum or 40 hours for part 3 if a PDI)

So I have changed my contract - It still states that a PDI must inform me but I will write to them now withdrawing responsibility rather than training

And I have a good case cos besides this silly boy no one has ever failed the part 2 with me in 5 years (all passed first time)

But even so I am sure that not many people challenge their trainer anyway and the trainers have lock tight contracts

Just remember dont mean it will stand up in court - as my legal guy says it only takes one case to make history

regards  lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 11-03-05 14:08:39

Anonymous

jeni wrote:

Of course what makes it worse is that the pass rate for part 3 is so low - so the courts could argue we dont know what we are doing??? is there any other training where only 1 in 4 get through?
regards  lol

Jeni

Hi Jeni, yes there is a training establishment that has a pass rate similar to ours.  Very similar.  It's run by the Royal Air Force and it is for Fast Jet Training.  Only 5 out of 100 intakes go forward to become Fast jet pilots.  The others either become heavy pilots, helicopter pilots, navigators or just fall by the wayside.

This wasn't posted tongue in cheek.  Our profession is, quite rightly, pretty exacting and so it is a fair comparrison.

Regards,
Wessex.

Board footer