You are not logged in.

#1 16-01-08 23:15:43

rangout

Learning in an Automatic car

Hi

I can't find the answer anywhere so here goes.

Assuming I pass the test in an Automatic, can I legally drive a car with a semi-automatic transmission fitted to a manual car. Or does the fact that it was build a manual car mean I cannot drive it?

Was wondering because I'm not seeing much choice in second-hand cars if I go down this route

16-01-08 23:15:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learning in an Automatic car

#2 17-01-08 06:47:21

ExAdiNigel

A car either has a clutch pedal (manual) or doesn't.  Whether a car is semi-automatic or fully automatic is irrelevant.  If there is not a clutch pedal or the clutch pedal is operated automatically you will be allowed to drive it.

What do you mean by manual converted to semi-automatic?  You have had or are considering removing a manual gearbox from a car and fitting a semi-auto?  Surely it would be more cost effective to change the whole car?

Niel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 17-01-08 19:13:04

rangout

Trying to weight up my options. My clutch control is poor, so automatic is the only choice. My work would take me all over the UK and I'm just trying to figure out the most efficient options for me - heavy duty motorway driving, etc.  (I live in W Yorks and got a quote for a 3 yr-old 1.4l Petrol Fiesta. I got prices of £1k-£1300!!)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 17-01-08 22:11:47

Luchell
Verified Member

How many hours have you had? It could be that you just haven't 'clicked' with clutch control yet, ask your instructor if you can practise some clutch control that may help v smile

#5 18-01-08 13:20:14

koolchick

I agree with luchell it is wotrth passing in manual if you can then you can drive any car you want so could still drive auto if you prefer but have option of driving manual if needed. Also you can take manual test after passing in auto. I've not took that much notice in manual or auto cars as I passed in manual so doesn't matter what I drive but when looking for a car I only saw 2 that were advertised as auto so you may not have much choice about the car if you pass in auto.

#6 18-01-08 14:34:17

dog
Verified Member

Cars with paddle shift gearboxes are classed a manual with electronic clutch, same as the Easytronic system in some Corsa's - again this is sequential manual with an electronically operated clutch. But I guess the DVLA/DSA classify any car without a clutch pedal as automatic.

Fore more info, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohyd … ansmission

Try your best to pass in a manual car. As stated above, it will give you a lot more options.

#7 18-01-08 19:45:36

infectedcat

i would be worried if you chose an automatic car while learning to drive just to avoid clutch control.

whats been mentioned above, learn in a manual and then buy an automatic when you pass.

automatic cars will save you a lot of money clutch wise. i spent over 200 quid on a new clutch in a manual car.

in my opinion a lot of woman drivers probably prefer automatics than manual. its probably because woman drivers dont see the car as part of them , were men drivers see the car as part of them and require more involvement with the vehicle they drive ie gear changing.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 18-01-08 19:54:05

VandADI
Administrator

in my opinion a lot of woman drivers probably prefer automatics than manual. its probably because woman drivers dont see the car as part of them , were men drivers see the car as part of them and require more involvement with the vehicle they drive ie gear changing.

So you are saying that men see their cars as extensions of themselves?  big_smile  big_smile

#9 18-01-08 20:44:49

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

lmfao with Vanda @ infectedcat!!!!

:evil:

Who cares what you learn in?

Learn the simplest way, buy the simplest car, get your independence.

In 10 years most cars will be auto anyway.

#10 18-01-08 21:25:16

irene1946

I have a Corsa Easytronic, and passed my test in it.  For insurance purposes it is classed as manual but to the DVLA it is automatic. In a way you have the best of both worlds, around town use auto, then if the mood takes you, override the automatic and use manual, without the bother of a clutch. I swear the easytronic is the easiest car in the world to drive. I love it.

#11 19-01-08 06:51:13

ExAdiNigel

Totally agree with Tim, learn in the simplest way.

There are many more automatics available these days so costs have come down, but expect to pay a little more for an auto.  Autos still can't quite match manuals for fuel economy either.

Dog, the cars with paddleshift gears are NOT classed as manual - they are automatic or maybe semi-automatic but most certainly aint manual - at the end of the day, the gear is being changed automatically! Personally I would ignore this type of car anyway, no real reason why, I've never driven one, but I just don't see the point of them.  You can have almost as much control of the gears in a fully automatic car as you can in a manual.

Given a free choice, I would go automatic all the time - much more relaxing.

Nigel

#12 19-01-08 09:33:12

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I like autos because of thier simplicity, and the fact that I can really concentrate on everything around me.

The only time I'd actually recommend a manual is for off-roading, and even then only to real enthusiasts - I recommend auto to fleet 4x4 people.

(Actually, the only time I'd recommend manual is for the real enthusiasts - on road or off - they're great fun, and yes they do allow you more control, but if you're not excited by the way they work then don't bother.)

Nigel - I know you're right with regards to fuel economy on the full autos - according to the figures, but would I have found that some people can reverse that by driving badly in a manual. In the auto they can't leave it in the wrong gear too long, and they can't over-rev when finding the bite or changing gears. Also, some of the "clutchless manuals" (cheaper way of producing an auto effect than building an auto box) actually boast better figures than the manual versions.

#13 19-01-08 13:03:06

Gizmotime
Administrator

If you can learn in a manual, then do it, How many lessons have you had??? I ask this because a lot of people do 5/6/7 lessons in a manual then decide they don't like the clutch (to many things to work at) if you get what I mean. :oops:

If your really strugling then by all means change to an Auto, but please don't look at it as "an easy option" wink

Infected cat, sorry but my car is a part of me, and you can have just as much "fun" driving an Auto as you can a manual, you can still change gears in an auto, a lot of people forget that wink

Giz

#14 19-01-08 14:10:03

rangout

I've actually failed my test in a manual - like I said, my clutch control is really poor. I'm more comfortable in the automactic, so this is the way forward for me.

I was really only wondering about this option, as the number of second-hand automatics is low. Because of my job, I reckon 60%+ of my driving will be on motorways, so I doubt there would be too much difference in fuel economy. It's much easier for me in an automatic, and beats standing around in a freezing train station on a Friday night!

#15 19-01-08 14:14:54

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The number of second hand autos is low but rising. The good thing is they tend to have been less "abused" than second hand manuals.

Good luck with it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 19-01-08 15:29:11

infectedcat

So you are saying that men see their cars as extensions of themselves?  big_smile  big_smile

yes thats correct. it may seem funny but psychologist have found the above to be true.

women mostly drive with 2 hands and this suggests that they are not one with the car they do not see the car as part of them.

its one of the reasons why woman are safe drivers. take away the above and allow woman to become one with there car they wouldnt be as safe.

#17 19-01-08 15:33:05

infectedcat

Infected cat, sorry but my car is a part of me, and you can have just as much "fun" driving an Auto as you can a manual, you can still change gears in an auto, a lot of people forget that wink

Giz

its most likely not part of you, but if it was part of you im sure you wouldnt think that driving an auto can be as much fun as driving a manual.

#18 19-01-08 15:35:01

VandADI
Administrator

women mostly drive with 2 hands and this suggests that they are not one with the car they do not see the car as part of them.

I can see now why you feel you are  "at one" with the car if you only have one hand on the steering wheel. tongue

#19 19-01-08 15:37:43

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Cars are becoming simpler and simpler all the time, and going auto is simply one more progression.

Are you suggesting that as a man who feels pretty much at one with all of his cars (both manual and auto), then I should get the most fun out of a series 1 Land Rover which requires double-declutching on most gearchanges, has no power steering and in certain circumstances requires heel and toe braking?

Surely this is an extension to that logic?

#20 19-01-08 17:01:05

Gizmotime
Administrator

Infectedcat, driving an auto can and is as much fun to me pal, I drive both manuals and Auto's and they are as much fun as each other.
That's my own opinion ok wink

#21 19-01-08 17:04:58

ExAdiNigel

Cars are becoming simpler and simpler all the time, and going auto is simply one more progression.

Are you suggesting that as a man who feels pretty much at one with all of his cars (both manual and auto), then I should get the most fun out of a series 1 Land Rover which requires double-declutching on most gearchanges, has no power steering and in certain circumstances requires heel and toe braking?

Hey, careful Tim, I'm not sure how wise it is to use the word logic where Infectedcat is concerned!

Infectedcat, driving an auto can and is as much fun to me pal, I drive both manuals and Auto's and they are as much fun as each other.

My opinion too Giz

Nigel

#22 19-01-08 17:21:42

Gizmotime
Administrator

Gizmotime wrote:

My opinion too Giz

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,  wink

#23 19-01-08 20:19:54

infectedcat

within reason. we are talking about the norm here. the vehicle you are talking about is not within reason and is not the norm.

however land rover series 1 is one of the most fun vehicles to drive due to double-declutching on most gear changes. the more interaction you have with vehicle the more fun it is. you are most likely to day dream behind a wheel of an automatic than you are with a manual as more work is required with a manual there4 keeping you more awake and alert.

#24 19-01-08 20:22:33

infectedcat

I can see now why you feel you are  "at one" with the car if you only have one hand on the steering wheel. tongue

good job your not a comedian van. if jokes could kill then i would be dead right now.

better leave the jokes to me.

#25 19-01-08 20:26:30

infectedcat

thats what worries me. its better to be a fact than your own opinion Gizmotime. a man once said would it not be better to agree with someone else if your opinion is wrong. bit of wisdom for yeah there.

Board footer