You are not logged in.

#1 13-01-08 18:46:07

littlemissbitch

lesson time ???

Hello

I had my first hour lesson last week with a ADI as some of you will know from my previous post , now i have another exactly week after the first one , but after this next one im going to book either another hour's  lesson or book him for two hour's for the next one , what i want to know is , is it better to book a two hour once a week lesson or book an hour's lesson but twice a week ?? could someone tell me what would be best ?? or if it doesn't really matter either way .

Thankyou 
Amandajayne

13-01-08 18:46:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: lesson time ???

#2 13-01-08 19:09:46

may
Verified Member

I prefer 2 hour lessons as an hour never seems long enough. with an hours lesson my pupils just seem to be settling down then its time to finish. For some its 15 minute drive home, which is fine if they can drive home but for the ones that can't its only 30 mins in the front seat. On the other hand i have a pupil who tries to crash the car after 50 minutes so when it gets to that point we switch.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 13-01-08 19:18:19

gday
Verified Member
Website

Every Instructor will have their own personal view as may learners and these are my views. If you have a 1 hour lesson, when you 1st start the Instructor will have to drive you to a suitable location before you can be in the driving seat, before the end of that hour the Instructor will have to drive you back. Say that takes 10 minutes for the Instructor to drive each way, that means you get 40 minutes to drive for each hour lesson, so 2 x 1 hour lessons a week mean you will be driving for 80 minutes. If you have 1 x 2 hour lesson the Instructor would have to drive to the appropriate area once and back once so for that 2 hours you would end up with 60 minutes driving instead of 40 minutes, so you have 20 more minutes practicing.  As you progress having 2 hours enables you to practice all your manoeuvres and your general driving each lesson. If you only have an hour then usually it would not be possible to practice everything each time.

Their will be plenty of Instructors who will come on here that will say you cannot concentrate for 2 hours an hour is long enough but that is not my experience if you structure the lesson and include a variety of topics

#4 13-01-08 19:21:50

FRANKS
Verified Member

The duration of your driving lesson is down to a number of factors;

1, how far do you have to travel to the training area (for example I have to travel 15 minutes each way for 50% of my pupil lessons, this is because I work in a rural area)

2, most people find it difficult to concentrate for more than a hour, so to do a two hour lesson would not be suitable. You might want to consider do an hour and half lessons instead.

3, number of lessons/week is totally up to you, if you can afford two a week and your instructor and fit you in go for it. I normally do one hour lesson/week with my pupils.

Hope this helps littlemissbitch

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#5 13-01-08 19:30:19

littlemissbitch

Thankyou for your quick reply's , that's what im worried of getting abit restless toward's the end of a two hour lesson , but thought like said above a hour can be a bit where your just settling in and it's time to go home , i have drove today for  about 2 hour's non stop in my own car and to tell the truth when i got home i was glad to get out of the driving seat , any more reply's keep them coming be good to see what other instructer's and learner's say , i do drive from my house and back again so i would attually be getting a full hour in the driving seat smile

#6 13-01-08 19:39:16

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

IMO you will benefit better from two single hours a week, as it will give you time, assuming there are a couple of days in between, to digest the new stuff you have learned. Sleeping on a problem allows the brain to work it all out. If you are new to driving two hours will probably tire you, and tired bunnies don't learn too well. Best of luck !
Jon

#7 13-01-08 21:08:51

Tracey89

Have you ever thought of having 1 and a 1/2 hour lessons a week? I do and i find it helpful as it gives me time to get going but not putting too much on by doing two whole hours.
Ask your ADI he/she will probs tell you what is best for you and your driving.  smile

xX.:Can we bring yesterday back around coz I know how I feel about you now....:.xX

*Theory Tessed passed on 20/06/08 - Questions: 48/50 & H&P: 51/75*

#8 13-01-08 22:01:38

Dimmy

2 x 1.5 hrs a week is the option I recommend.

#9 14-01-08 10:42:46

billrhoades
Verified Member

I prefer to start pupils on two hours. Stay at two hours until all manouvers are being donesafely on own and general driving is ok. Then give pupil option of reducing hours if they want to.

#10 14-01-08 13:17:35

koolchick

Totally up to you but how do you feel in one hour lessons do you wish they were longer at end if you do try a 2 hour lesson or a few 2 hour lessons. I had my 1st 2 hour lesson about 19 lessons in so it was me driving for full 2 hour from home and back and honestly I was a bit stubburn with it lol cos it did feel a bit long but I didn't say anything to my ADI cos I wanted to be able to manage with 2 hours so book next lesson 2 hour and that seemed to end far too soon and most lessons after that did. So try say 2 or 3 2 hour lessons and see how you feel. Mite be better having 2 hour early on as there will be less driving in early lessons like ADI driving you to quiet place and back and explaining things ect. I remember my 1st lesson was only moving off and stopping twice in 1st gear then next few lessons I'd do one thing then stop like go round bend and stop or move forward a bit and stop go into 2nd and stop. so even tho I was driving more still a lot of lesson was not driving but felt like I was cos it was stop and set off a lot.

#11 14-01-08 15:26:30

AndyBerry

I recommend 2 hours to all my pupils - those who can only afford an hour a week tend to do a 2 hour session every other week instead. Your also getting a full 60 minutes extra tuition, so in early lessons or when learning something new, your getting approx 90 mins practice time instead of the 30 mins.
Think about when your doing your first manoeuvre for example, you drive to suitable training area, 10-15 mins, get briefed on the new subject, upto 10 mins, 2 or 3 practices take a further 15 mins and it's time to drive back already... no time really for you to practice and get used to a new subject. However a 2 hour lesson would mean you've got a further hour to practice those manoeuvres and really get the hang of them!

Andy

#12 15-01-08 17:04:04

gday
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Kool Chick and Andy, in genearl terms I think more progress is made with a 2 hour lesson

#13 15-01-08 17:06:22

littlemissbitch

thank's for all the reply's peep's , im going to ask tommorow on my lesson if next week i can book a two hour one smile

#14 16-01-08 11:58:30

littlemissbitch

Hi

I had my second lesson today and the ADI advised me to book an hour and half next time , so that's what i have booked , still finding it hard to drive his car tho  :cry: i seem to be doing stupid thing's that i wouldn't normally do in my own car , im indicating too early but i know i don't indicate that early in my own car , i don't know im really annoyed with myself lol why am i doing these stupid thing's  that i wouldn't normally do :?

#15 17-01-08 01:15:34

Luchell
Verified Member

I am not saying you are indicating too early in your own car but thought i would mention one of my pupils who had been learning with her dad in her own car for some time before having lessons with an instructor. Several things i noticed i pointed out to her, for instance taking her entire hand off the steering wheel to signal, she was adament she didn't do this in her car. Out of interest we discussed it and throughout the lesson my pupil became totally aware of when she was doing it. With that realization she went off and drove her car with her dad home. I had an immediate text saying oops you're right i was always doing it in mine i just hadn't realised because i hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it  smile

Lots of different things we noticed like not getting up to the give way line/ stop line or when waiting at the line at lights as she had no reference point for doing so and had no idea she was more often than not sitting half a car length back from where she should be, my pupil was sure she had never had an issue with this in her car. An hour later again i spoke to her and she confirmed she was doing it all the time in her car and once again hadn't had to think about it until that lesson.

As i say you may not be indicating too early at all but sometimes just having to think about something more than you did could make you aware that perhaps you weren't doing things the way you thought if that makes sense?  smile

I find one and a half hours the most optimum lesson time with most of my pupils, i find one hour too little once the pupils have warmed up and 2 hours i often find pupils may switch off in the last half hour not on purpose, but all the faults we worked on getting rid of started to appear as the end of the lesson neared where the pupil had been working so hard. Some of mine do very well with over two hours if i am doing a semi intensive with them.  All depends on the pupil so give each a go and see what works best for you.

#16 17-01-08 08:38:09

littlemissbitch

Hi

Thankyou for your reply i know what your saying but no i am adament im not doing these stupid thing's in my own car cause he has told me something's im doing wrong and i admit i am doing those wrong and i have stopped , it wasn't just indicating.

I stopped at a mini roundabout when there were no cars lol my instructer said there's no cars we shouldn't be stopping dead well i know that , and another thing i did was got far too close to a horse i definatly don't do that as i've been brought up with horses so know not to even before i took my theory , and i went too close to parked car's aswell , i also on setting off wasn't looking over my shoulder i alway's do that in my own car that is something i have never not done at all .

I failed on going to close to parked car's 12 year's ago and im certain it's nerves that's doing this , it's really worrying me now as i spoke to my mum and she doesn't drive very often but said when she does she cannot drive very well with anyone in with her and she makes stupid mistakes and she's passed her test 30 year ago ,  i think i might be the same sad  with my husband in im so used it as it's been 4 year's , i said to my husband that i was indicating rediculasly early and he said you definatly don't with me , if anything he said sometimes i can be a bit late , i think it's going to take alot of lesson's to get me driving as good as i do in my own car,  and then to get me up to test standard

#17 17-01-08 22:00:38

Luchell
Verified Member

You haven't had many lessons in that car though yet have you? It will come don't worry  smile What do you drive and what car does your instructor have? It could be that the worry you have makes you do unusual things whilst on lessons, we all have off days so don't beat your self up over it  wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 17-01-08 22:13:40

littlemissbitch

You haven't had many lessons in that car though yet have you? It will come don't worry  smile What do you drive and what car does your instructor have? It could be that the worry you have makes you do unusual things whilst on lessons, we all have off days so don't beat your self up over it  wink

Hi
I have had two  hourly lesson's with the ADI , he has a peugeot 306 diesal , i have a little petrol clio ,one of my problems with the car is im not going fast enough cause im trying to drive it like mine and with his been a diesal it's slower  , i keep getting really upset about this and think i may be trying to hard ??? i must admit im not keen on his car at all and would consider changing to someone with a different car,   but i really don't want to change  as he know's my mum from year's ago so we have hit it off straightaway and get on great and quite alot of ppl in my town have passed with him so he came highly recommened , he's semi retired only does monday to thurday day's which is ideal for me as im at home all day ,   and he only lives in the next street so not far for him to come either so im usually his first lesson in the morning so he's very punctual with only living round the corner

#19 27-01-08 20:51:27

Shazzer

hi littlemissbitch, how have you got on since this post? My instructor has petrol focus, and husbands is a diesel mondeo, and I notice that the diesal needs more gas pedal to go up hills than the focus, but it is faster if the turbo kicks in (scary).
I have been told it's good to drive different cars, but if it really causes you problems and upsets you, would it be worth a try with someone else??
Would your instructor teach you in your car? It might be worth asking if you are more comfortable in yours.
I like different bits of both cars, the brake is better/less sensitive in ours, the clutch is smoother on his, he has dual controls! the handbrake is better positioned in ours.
Oh and I personally found 1 and a half hours best for me, from home anyway, at work I have to have an hour because that's what I get for lunch.
Hope things are working out

#20 27-01-08 21:07:57

littlemissbitch

Hi Shazzer

This driving is just going from bad to worse sad i had one and a half hour's tuition with my instructer on wednesday last week , i think i am getting used to his car but noway will i ever like it, the clutch is just awfull very very heavy , anyway been out today in my car and stalled it never ever done that in the four year's i have drove it , so my guess is im getting used to the instructer's car ?? and finding mine harder now lol

my instructer has said to practice my reversing etc as i think im guessing that that's all he think's i need work on now ?? as he has said they need work but he hasn't really said anything about my normal driving on this lesson , so i have been out today in my car and i have curbed the alloy reversing round a corner so not happy at all lol  i just seem to be getting worse sad on my first lesson with the Adi he  showed me just the once how to parallal park and after the lesson i went out and did it perfect in my car twice i did it perfect , so i thought i was getting somewhere , today we tried it about 10 times and i just couldn't do it , i really do think im getting worse as last week my reversing round the corner was ok, this week i curb the wheel , but my husband think's my normal driving is fine it's just the manourvers  that are holding me back and making me feel really crap lol

p.s nice cat in your avator

#21 27-01-08 21:34:33

Shazzer

Sorry to hear that lmb, maybe your just having an off day, or you're thinking too much about not liking his car/ being in different cars??? I've only driven hubby's twice, and each time gone round the block to get used to it a bit before going off in it, but still stall! Do you think the manoeuvres are getting worse because you are concentrating on the too much?? As soon as you mess it up and you feel bad it will make it harder, I find that anyway. You need to deep breath, go off for a bit and come back to it later. Don't worry, you'll be back to better next week, it's a blip.
and thanks, the cat is Saffi, one of my three. She's a cow, but lovable!!

#22 27-01-08 21:38:19

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Hello Littlemissbitch, I'm sure your not lol
What are the problems you are having with the manourvers, I always advise to be very slow with the car and quick with the hands on the wheel.
On my little Nissan I have little reference points with fruit markers, ie the pupil lines up the Cherries sticker with the curb then STOP check all round for your 2nd round of observations then when ready to move in 1.5 seconds turn the wheel 45 minutes to the left ( 3/4 turn ).
Hope it helps
Si.

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#23 27-01-08 21:42:11

littlemissbitch

I really dont know what the hell im thinking i just cannot seem to grasp this reversing on a regular basis , like one time i can do it and it's spot on , the next i just make a right mess of it , so it's like it's pure luck if i get it right , not the fact i can do it if you know what i mean , we tried bay parking today did it fine on about 3 goes , then did it again on a different supermarket car park and couldn't do , it's annoying me now and i keep saying to my husband am i ever going to be able to do this

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#24 27-01-08 21:46:37

littlemissbitch

Hello Littlemissbitch, I'm sure your not lol
What are the problems you are having with the manourvers, I always advise to be very slow with the car and quick with the hands on the wheel.
On my little Nissan I have little reference points with fruit markers, ie the pupil lines up the Cherries sticker with the curb then STOP check all round for your 2nd round of observations then when ready to move in 1.5 seconds turn the wheel 45 minutes to the left ( 3/4 turn ).
Hope it helps
Si.

i think one of the problem's is i do go a little fast especially on the turn in the road , but i am getting the hang of that one now

as for the reversing round the corner my husband say's today i was going fine got it round the corner then i got a little close to the curb on the back wheel so instead on just turning the other way slightly to bring the car out abit i oversteered my husband said,  and curbed the front wheel

#25 27-01-08 21:47:14

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Don't worry,
If you feel its going wrong just start again, remember to do it slowly so you have time to correct anything that goes wrong. How long have you to the test?
All the best and stay cool
Si

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

Board footer