You are not logged in.

#1 10-01-08 21:57:18

gemma h

HELP...PLEASE...CONFUZZLED notts PDI!!!

Hello people!!

I'm really confused with just about everything at the minute.....i want to do this but i when i do i want to do it properly! I've started my part1 with BSM but have decided against doing the rest of the course with then for various reasons insluding not wanted to be tied into their franchise.

My 1st dilemma is who on earth do i train with?? I've heard that a company called pass with flying colours in my area are good but they aren't ordit registered. I'd rather go with a independent company based on recommendation than a big organisation so can anybody recommend one in the notts or surrounding area that's ordit reg?

But this leads me onto the next dilemma! With bigger companies like BSM you can borrow one of their vehicles to practice in and take your tests in but that means franchise.....if i choose a smaller company/trainer then i would have to provide my own car/insurance and the one i drive isnt suitable for that so how do i go about that and how much is it likely to cost?

And finally......I'd like to set up on my own when i pass but money is tight so the idea of doing a franchise comes to mind again, but i really do want to avoid that option so would it be better to take a loan out and buy a car one i pass? Or lease one? Or have dual controls fitted into a car myself?

Confuuuuuused.Com!!

Any advice/tips/help would be much appreciated!!

10-01-08 21:57:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HELP...PLEASE...CONFUZZLED notts PDI!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-01-08 08:33:32

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I hate to say this but I think you need a reality check.

This is not a game you can just walk into without costing it all out, either you go with a large franchise and allow them to suck out great chunk of your earnings. Or you take the alternative route of cherry picking your training and either leasing or buying a car.

To give you an idea, I have put aside £12500 to cover all my set up costs, this includes training, car, duals, exam and licence fees.

You can reduce this by getting a used car, but it will have to be in good nick, even so you are not going to get set up as a business with less than £6,000, even if you cut training costs on part 1 & 2 to the bone, assuming you buy a used car of course.

Think carefully as to whether you can afford to do this, you may regret the wrong decision for some time.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 11-01-08 08:41:25

gday
Verified Member
Website

so you are not going to get set up as a business with less than £6,000,

Sorry Kaf but this is midleading, I went the Franchise Route once qualified so you can be in Business for less than £6000.

I maid the mistake of paying up front for My training £2800 but did get through without going on a Pink so my only other expense was getting to and from training, exam fees etc. I guess if I picked more carefully I may not have paid so much for my training on pay as you go so even by paying more for my training than perhaps I needed to I say I was up and running as a business for no more than £4000. What I am trying to say is you a correct you do need to think about a certain amount of money you will need but most of this will be your training provided you go the Franchise Route.

#4 11-01-08 14:46:06

Karl
Verified Member

If u go with a local school, im sure they will borrow you their car if you pay for the the couple of hours you are using it.  Easy money for them!

I would suggest you look into the local schools around you and go on a franchise for around 12 months until you start to get a rep for yourself!

You can buy or lease, I bought mine as a needed one anyway for personal use. I just paid a company to supply me pupils when I was on a franchise then I left after 12 months with a full book.

Part 1- 93% and 67
Part 2- 2 Minors
Part 3- Passed 20th Dec 4/5 2006

#5 11-01-08 14:51:21

Luchell
Verified Member

Hi there, I trained with Bsm in 2005 and passed all three parts first time in about 8 months ish. There was NO tie in at all to me having to go on a pink licence with them. I could have done all three parts and walked. I decided to use a pink licence so i did go on a franchise for 6 months. Yes it was expensive but i left and set up independent after putting my notice in at the end of my 6 months contract. I had a fair few pupils who came with me (I didn't ask them they found me so to speak).

I enjoyed the course and from what i have seen since it's not a bad course they do compared to some others either. I was NOT tied into a franchise but because i was training with them i was allowed to book out and use the spare astra training car whenever i wanted to alone or with a learning partner as long as it was free. I did use it for my part two and used my corsa from my franchise for part 3  smile

I paid 2850 upfront for the course and about 8400 in franchise fees in 6 months on the full time franchise as it was my only job (wouldn't recommend someone giving up their other job to do this however if they were still able to continue working it), i did earn enough to cover the franchise and to pay bills just which i am sure most of us know isn't exactly how a pink should be used. As i say though i was unable to do my original job through disability so from that respect i had nothing to lose in committing fully to my pink licence.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 11-01-08 17:05:56

kaf
Verified Member
Website

kaf wrote:

so you are not going to get set up as a business with less than £6,000,

Sorry Kaf but this is midleading, I went the Franchise Route once qualified so you can be in Business for less than £6000.

I was pricing it on the basis of buying a used car rather than leasing via a franchise arrangement. You are not going to get going on less than £6,000 if you have to buy a half decent used car are you?  On a franchise, depending on who you go with, you will not have the upfront cost of the car but will pay around £4000 in car lease costs in the first year.

#7 11-01-08 17:19:17

gday
Verified Member
Website

I agree Kaf if you are going Indy you need more money to start with up front. So if you don't have the money or don't want to gamble that large amount of money when you don't have any customers at the start then the franchise options enables you to start with a smaller outlay.

#8 11-01-08 18:16:45

hector
Verified Member
Website

Kaf it would be very nice if everyone was aware as yourself. Realistic money and a business plan.

Half of ADI's last less than five years, very often through insufficent finance and poor businees acumen and lack of or no funds.
If ADI's were less ready to slate company franchises when given the chance to set up a business for peanuts, this industry would be a better place.

Gemma all the companies after ADIs or PDI's are not all after ripping you off. Alternatively you can start for less money, but part time, just keep another or get another job alongside.

The UK is full of the 'world owes me a living people' and many ADI's are the worst in the world for this.

You cannot start Independant nowadys without another job alongside, why not do this anyway? Just driving instruction all the time is punishing work that anyone over time will get fed up with. Variety is the spice of life!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 11-01-08 21:01:26

Luchell
Verified Member

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 059.0.html

Above is a link to Gemmas other post on the same topic. I have locked it to keep all replies in one place to save people wondering where their replies have gone  smile Just so both are in one place and the other couple of replies on the other thread don't vanish into nowhere  smile

#10 12-01-08 08:53:26

FRANKS
Verified Member

Why do you need a trainer for part 1? The DSA supply all the information and training aids you need. (Books, CD Roms & DVDs)

Part 2, again why do you need a trainer? Find a good DSA ADI to take you out and teach you what the DSA are looking for on Part 2.

You need to get a good trainer for part three though.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#11 30-01-08 15:10:57

Kelvin White
Verified Member
Website

Franks,quote:  why do you need a trainer for part 1?  pass rate 52%
                     Why do you need a trainer for part 2 ? pass rate 43%

You need guidance from start to finish or there will be gaps in knowlege that will show up in part 3.  Pass rate 26%.

www.kelvinwhitedrivingschool.co.uk
ORDIT registered PAYG Instructor training in Somerset.
Delivering a highly successful structured course.
All ADI training on a one to one basis with principle trainer Kelvin White,qualified instructor trainer,ROSPA gold twice,Cardington grade A and Workshop Tutor for Somerset Road Safety Partnership.

#12 04-02-08 06:23:02

ExAdiNigel

Why do you need a trainer for part 1? The DSA supply all the information and training aids you need. (Books, CD Roms & DVDs)

Part 2, again why do you need a trainer? Find a good DSA ADI to take you out and teach you what the DSA are looking for on Part 2.

You need to get a good trainer for part three though.

Parts 2 & 3 are closely linked.  If you are going to try part 1 without a trainer - fine!  But you do need to find a decent trainer  for parts 2 & 3.  What on earth is the point of finding a DSA ADI with no training experience of part 2 and then find someone else for part 3?  Find a decent trainer for parts 2 & 3 for continuity.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer