You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 07-12-07 14:48:41

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Confused about CPD

Been instructing for about 18 months now. I'm asking myself what can cpd do for me and my pupils?
I have done the IAM test.
My pass rate is way above my Tc average.

I find myself asking whats the point. If the dsa want to weed out the bad instructors don't they do that with the check test?

How will a first aid certificate help me become a better driving instructor?

Why would I want to do the diploma? will I be able to charge more?

I'm enrolling on a webdesign course but that wont help my pupils.

I cant be the only one thinking that this is a way for people to make money out of me.

I'm confused :? :?

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

07-12-07 14:48:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Confused about CPD

#2 07-12-07 16:07:32

adi
Verified Member
Website

I think that is the very point though mike, if we all think 'what is the point' of me doing any courses, because i am doing a good enough job as it is, then we don't and won't progress, and we become 'stale'.
Your pretty fresh from your training and i dare say you are doing your job as well as ever. Think 10 years down the line from now when you have covered 1/3 of a million miles on the road teaching, and here and there the odd thing or two has slipped and it's hard to think back to your training days.
I would like to think of CPD being more about keeping us all on track and moving forward and changing with the times. I have been doing this job now for 8 years and have done nothing since i qualified other than work my butt off getting people through the test and paying my mortgage. When i qualified i was going to pass every test going, do a diploma and be as qualified as i can, yeah right, that really happened!
I for one welcome CPD, i do care about what i do and i would like to think i give this profession my best but i need to give myself a kick up the backside.
I know that doesn't go for everyone because some people have the time and motivation to move on themselves.
Instructors outhere who are bad at the job, couldn't give a t*ss, and don't do our profession any justice will be wormed out, which can only be a good thing. These instructors can easily blag a check test and stay in the job, but you can't really blag through CPD.

#3 09-12-07 20:35:51

Target
Verified Member
Website

Been instructing for about 18 months now. I'm asking myself what can cpd do for me and my pupils?

Thats a good question to ask this early on in your new career. I think as businessman first an instructors 2nd we want CPD to earn us money. If we put £100 in we want £200 back.
I have done the IAM test.

I have done IAMS and Cardington since qualifying but do not see this as CPD. Firstly I felt I would pass quite confidently and secondly I enjoy driving. So other than that I've done nothing.

My pass rate is way above my Tc average.

Is'nt everyones wink

I find myself asking whats the point. If the dsa want to weed out the bad instructors don't they do that with the check test?

The CT is just a snap shot of someones teaching at that time. We have all heard of instructors taking frieinds and family along. Anyone can put it on for the SE on the day, then go back to the norm. Does a CT really stop people putting sub standard pupils for test?. Hardly!...But publishing Pass Rates could be the move I know we all want.

How will a first aid certificate help me become a better driving instructor?

Dependant on your field of training I can see how this may be an attractive course for some. Personally its not for me, but some first aid could be very useful, but thankfully we are not put in that position everyday.

Why would I want to do the diploma? will I be able to charge more?

The diploma goes beyond your normal theory training. Getting that recognition would definately give you the edge above your competitors. What ive always felt is that by improving my lot I may avoid having to drop prices, I may not be able to increase them because the market will only take so much, but at least I could avoid the price wars. Not to mention the confidence.

I'm enrolling on a webdesign course but that wont help my pupils.

Hopefully it will help your business thou. This is the beauty of CPD. Recognising your weaknesses and doing something about it. Even if you want to learn how to draw better pictures, it just makes the job easier. Perhaps learn how to do your own accounting.

I cant be the only one thinking that this is a way for people to make money out of me.

No im sure your not. What goes around comes around it guess. Im not about to do something that if I cannot make money or make the job easier.

Personally Im looking forward to the introduction. My main excuse is I've never had the time nor the money. I would think that most instructors feel the same.

I've worked my socks off for the last 4 years and still have very little to show for it.  It does worry me the costs involved, but alas most of what I want to achieve would have cost even without CPD. Whether I pay for a course or study at home, I still need to take the breaks between work.

I tried it during the summer. I took Mondays off to study but soon had an enquiry for a pupil wanting monday lessons. How could I turn down 4 hours tuition.

I wish I knew the answer. I nice little cash injection into the business would be good at this time.

To do nothing is not the answer.  roll

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#4 09-12-07 21:02:05

Karenadi
Verified Member

The problem is Mikerow: you can never ever stop learning.  Have you looked at the Dip Di? 

If you are wondering how much more you can learn, you'd be amazed.  When I started working for that, I realised how poor the ADI Pt I was.  It is so limited it is untrue.  AND that is I believe also fairly limited compared to the degree in Driver Training: which the Dip Di will serve count as the first year.

Wisest are they that know they know nothing

#5 09-12-07 21:18:11

Luchell
Verified Member

Target, whats wrong with taking a family member or a friend for our checktest ? I'm sure you don't mean we all set our check tests up   roll

#6 09-12-07 22:27:05

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Don't get me wrong I agree that we should never stop learning, but the "stale" Adi's will cpd make them any better instructors?

I'm looking for other things to do but I see nothing that will enhance my income, as  business people isn't that  why we go to work every day.

Is cpd just another way for people to make money out of me? As Targetadi said "If we put £100 in we want £200 back." Will we be able to earn more than the next Adi? I don't think so unless we get in to providing cpd.

Hmm still confused.

Driving should be fun

#7 10-12-07 09:18:44

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I've spent the last year enjoying doing loads of cpd.

If you have the time and the money to do it, then with a little imagination you can really enhance your career, both in terms of personal enjoyment and income.

#8 10-12-07 09:24:30

Karenadi
Verified Member

Agree with Tim and also would say yes it does make for a better instructor.  I know for definate that with each course I do I gain in both knowledge and confidence: this is definately reflected in my pupils both in their day to day learning and in test results.

Those old and stale ones unfortunately need persuading that they need to do CPD: they probably see little incentive to be fair.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 11-12-07 19:27:58

Target
Verified Member
Website

Target, whats wrong with taking a family member or a friend for our checktest ? I'm sure you don't mean we all set our check tests up   roll

I think if a family member is a genuine pupil then theres not a problem, but we all know that some people prep themselves the night before on just how they are going to deliver the lesson.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 11-12-07 19:41:06

Target
Verified Member
Website

Don't get me wrong I agree that we should never stop learning, but the "stale" Adi's will cpd make them any better instructors?

I'm looking for other things to do but I see nothing that will enhance my income, as  business people isn't that  why we go to work every day.

Is cpd just another way for people to make money out of me? As Targetadi said "If we put £100 in we want £200 back." Will we be able to earn more than the next Adi? I don't think so unless we get in to providing cpd.

Hmm still confused.

I think CPD will go a little way to giving some a wake up call, just like the HPT went a little way also.

We often get compared with Solicitors, but in reality you could compare us to window cleaners.

There will always be those that do as little as possible, but the DSA have already suggested they will place a listing on their website of Adis participating in CPD.

If things are done correctly and this profession gets a BIG KICK UP THE ARSE then I think long term this profession could get recognised as being something special, something that requires alot of hard work to achieve and instructors are paid for that hard work.

I could be dreaming and I think i possilby am. Theres a whole lot more needs doing but if the public recognises the hard work I think over time they will want to pay for it.

It does not all have to cost money. I often here instructors saying they cannot use computers. Well some of these courses are run for free. I would assume an Adi could enrol on the course and send the certificate to the DSA and get credits for the work.

The course would mean they can save time and money by printing their own stationary, or sending emails rather than letters.

Just a thought.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#11 11-12-07 20:44:22

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Yes I can see the benefit of learning how a computer  works and yes there are lots of free courses.

"If things are done correctly and this profession gets a BIG KICK UP THE ARSE then I think long term this profession could get recognised as being something special, something that requires allot of hard work to achieve and instructors are paid for that hard work."

Yes agree with that but will doing a course on spread sheets enable your business to charge more, there will always be the 10 for £99 brigade. How often does a pupil ask your grade? Is it better to be a busy successful grade 4 or a quiet grade 6?

Driving should be fun

#12 12-12-07 09:18:23

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Just on that point alone - being able to use spreadsheets will not enable you to charge more for an individual lesson.

However it may well save you money on accountants - therefore taking more profit for yourself out of that same lesson fee, or it may save you time doing your accounts allowing you to do an extra couple of lessons a week.

Time Management
Hourly Rate
Costs

Get the above 3 right and you're laughing. There is help with lots of things that are free, and many ADI organisations (especially at local level) are beginning to organise free CPD using the experience within the organisation.

And what would be wrong with providing CPD anyway? We all shelled out our £3k or so to become ADIs, so at one point we believed in speculating to accumulate.

#13 12-12-07 17:03:00

Target
Verified Member
Website

Yes agree with that but will doing a course on spread sheets enable your business to charge more, there will always be the 10 for £99 brigade. How often does a pupil ask your grade? Is it better to be a busy successful grade 4 or a quiet grade 6?

I cannot argue with that. As for grades. Im asked possibly less than 4 times a year what my grade is. I think the difference would come through knowledge and being able to pass that knowledge on. I beleive its been menioned about the DipDi. When i first looked at this you do realise how little information is learnt on the part 1, but I recall spending hours upon hours reading all the books and gathering information.

I started learning spanish, but the cost of lessons and time needed to studying have got the better of me. Now I do think theres a small market to be tapped into knowing other languages, but whether the time put in is worth the return is another question.

You have hit the nail on the head. Instructors are so involved in getting enough work through the door that theres just no time for extra learning. The last thing I or my wife wants me to do is starting studying on the weekends. This is why I think most instructors have done nothing. TIME & COSTS.

Then theres always those that have been busy and not needed to do anything. As you say, why try to improve your grade if the diarys already full. I think its these instructors who will hurt the most.

As for making money....I really do not know.....4 years in and I thought I'd be earning £25K per year at least, that was my goal but its not happened yet :?

What i'd like to see is the DSA make a really bold statement and subsidise some of the training, then that would really show some support. Of course someone would pay for it, but then they are proposing an increase in test fees next year whats another 1%.

Or they could do some special deals. Cardington half price. Buy one get one free.

But at the moment I'm planning on improving my tuition in 2008. I want to prepare also for my next CT which is likely to be around the corner. Will I recover my costs. Very unlikley and definatetly not in the first couple of years. But as said, hopefully I can keep a turn around of work coming in and maybe source a different market.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#14 13-12-07 11:02:39

billrhoades
Verified Member

Agree with Timman, CDP is a good thing IF you have the time and money!!
I have attempted to obtain an NVQ in driving instruction. DSA response, "whats one of them". NVQ trainers do not know of driving instructor trainers in this field, one even saying do an NVQ in anything and adapt it!!
Ok at the eggn bacon turn left , roundabout 1st drawing board left. Sorry if thats sarcastic.
Diploma in DI, im still paying off my divorce so nearly a grand is impossible, Dip in advanced/defensive driving the same.
Have done first aid course. Does doing ones own book-keeping count although have not done course. No limit on other things ADIs do, secretarial, management but have we "done the course"?

#15 13-12-07 12:52:49

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The Dip DI should not cost even a fraction of a grand.

CPD is not yet mandatory as far as the DSA is concerned. When they confirm it we will be able to work out ourselves which of the courses we do.

The big issue is whether we take on CPD because we want to improve ourselves, our jobs and our career prospects, or because the DSA have told us to.

I intend to be ahead of the game all the way through.

#16 13-12-07 13:34:53

Karenadi
Verified Member

The Dip DI should not cost even a fraction of a grand.

Tim: it costs loads: exam fees, invigilator fees, arrangement fees and room hire fees for the exam to take place are the biggest.  Add to that the cost of books, lost working hours due to study time and time off to take the exams: it is mega!

I worked out to do all 5 in one go was in excess of £800 and to do them one at a time is even more expensive as we have to pay an arrangement fee each time.  Put me off that's for sure.  In this job time = money!

#17 13-12-07 14:14:44

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Valid point karen, apologies.

One thing though - one week a year costing you £1000 could make you £2000 the next year - though I suspect that the Dip DI isn't in this category for reasons already stated.

#18 13-12-07 14:25:19

billrhoades
Verified Member

I strive to be the best instructor there is, hopefully we all do. I attempt to gain knowledge on everything regarding driving. As previously stated we never stop learning.
My concern with CDP is the DSA will place the whole thing in the hands of outside companies under thre umbrella of "professionals in this field" who will then up the price of every course(profitering), resulting in ADIs in the future being those with the money available to continue.
What is the future of independants??  And as Karenadi states the hidden cost of these courses.
The RoSPA diploma for example. The course work used to be done away from HQ, resulting in a 3 day loss of work. You now have to do the whole course at HQ, 5 days minimum off work.
That alone would cost me £660!!! plus course fees etc.
Yes I want to improve but at what cost.

#19 13-12-07 14:43:02

Target
Verified Member
Website

When I qualified as an Adi I went back over my costs to qualify. Now this was before the days of high training fees. I paid TIC £2.2k all inclusive. They even guaranteed me free training if I failed. Green licence was included and first test fee was included and hire of the car for many many hours for part 2 training. I even got extra part 3 training.

But still I estimated I spent over £6k training to become an instructor. 4 years on im still trying to recover some of that money..., but thats another storey.

The money goes in lost hours, travelling, books, paper, meals, parking. It was costing me £10 per day on the train. I bought a car to train for part 3, I spent about another £1000 on extra training. Once you get so far with putting money in you have to keep going.

However, sadly and going back to the point Mikerow mentioned. If I spent £1000 on extra training next year. Probably more than I need but just as an estimate and that training got me a grade 6. Would I really be any better off? Would I be able to recover that £1000 plus more.

Not sure I can answer the question. But thankfully I do not always think like that, and I know that extra training will help my pupils and it will help me and if the jobs gets any easier and I have more experience id be happy.    £1000 worse off but id be happy. neutral

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#20 13-12-07 14:50:19

billrhoades
Verified Member

Increase the cost of renewing your license every 4 years by 3% to cover all CDP courses . I would be happy with that.
Taking a differant tangent, how the hell are those instructors earning a living charging £15 an hour, what am I doing wrong??
I would charge £40 an hour because I am a professional but the market wont stand that price.

#21 13-12-07 15:00:44

Target
Verified Member
Website

I cannot see any evidence that people are raising prices for courses.

If the majority of Adis take this on board then the rest will get left behind, and is'nt that what we want. We all know they are sitting by the roadside killing time on lessons, reading the paper, answering the phone.

Its about getting the message across to the public. They all think we have Carrots in our cars.

If the majority take it seriously then things will hopefully get better.

At the moment theres plans to make it voluntary, then later compulsory by which time hopefully everyones on board. There will be two choices..... One from an area the instructor choses and one from an area the DSA chose.

Im done here.......

P.s I do not know how anyone earns a living charging £15 per hour. All I can think is things must be pritty bad. I know Ive complained about work load before and rightly so, but at least im not forced to charge £15 per hour. Id have to do 50 hours at that price just to cover my bills and expenses. Whats the point. Goto to Tesco and get a job there.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#22 18-12-07 17:38:35

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

Ok, my two pennies worth.

I have taught for 20 years. I qualified twice! once in 1971 and again in 1994 because I lived abroad for a few years. Why did I have to requalify ? search me, but I did , passed everything first time and have run my own business without franchise ever since. I ceased advertising over 8 years ago as recomendations supply the workload I want. I am a grade 6, though I waited 11 years as a grade 5 without getting a check test. My pass rate = my demand.

I intend to retire in 6-7 years time.

My philosophy is simple, driving lessons should be enjoyed by the pupil, and their standard should be well above the test standard when they sit it. I talk about motorway lessons and pass plus early into the course so that the pupils are primed and ready for it after the test. I have a high take up on motorway lessons, as pass plus is for pupils that have their own car ( not mum's).

My pupils average around 30 lessons to bring them to this standard.

What CPD would you reccomend I do please ?

Merry Xmas

Jon

#23 21-12-07 19:50:42

Kelvin White
Verified Member
Website

Very interesting thread.

I qualified in 1999 and worked for the AA for 18 months to get experience and a pupil base.I found that I was able to source new pupils during this spell ,so decided to go it alone.

I became independent in April 2001 and have always managed to stay pretty much fully booked since.

The most important thing to date was training to take the Cardington Test.I was fortunate to pass with a grade "A " back in 2003.The test it self was of little value apart from personal satisfaction,but the training changed the way that I instructed.I travelled to London on two occasions ,staying B & B on a Sunday evening and then 5 hours training on the Monday.Although the training was to bring my driving up to the required standard,I learnt so much more about instructing from my trainer who I think is quite well known on this forum (Brian Stratton).

This was an expensive decision with the 10 hours training at £250  two days loss of earnings (2003) £360 and the B& B at £40.At the time the test fee was ,if I remember correctly  about £85.  Test day was another days loss of earnings £180.

The total cost of this CPD was £915.  Was it worth it?

The first thing I did after I passed was put my prices up,and I found that I was offering a service that a lot of established ADIs in the area were falling well short of,namely lesson structure and feedback.

Several price rises followed until I was able to match the two nationals AA and BSM and to this day I have been the most expensive independent in the area.

I also trained for the ROSPA test during 2003 and passed at gold level,the reason for this was to get involved with fleet training,I have since decided not to go down this route as the work is very sporadic in this part of the world and would be difficult to fit in around learner work.I also re tested in 2006 with a gold.

During 2006 I trained to become a pass plus workshop tutor for Somerset Road Safety Partnership which has brought good exposure for the school.

I am know looking to expand the driving school,but finding ADIs that I could trust to provide good quality tuition and customer service proved to be difficult.

The decision has now been made to train my own PDIs ,both to pass the required exams and also to provide the same level of tuition and customer service as I would myself.

My qualification as an ADI enables me to be a trainer,like my driving licence makes me a driver but I feel that CPD comes in to play once more and I will be attending a trainers course in January at the cost of £1300 plus a weeks loss of earnings.I need to know that I can offer the same standards as I do for learners .The quality of the training that I provide will probably make or brake the school with the amount of money being invested.

As we all know ,major changes are coming our way,standards will have to be raised and like many of you posting here, lets make sure we are at the fore front and be ready when it happens.

To summarise:

My take on CPD is that it should not have to be compulsory,it has enabled me to charge a premium rate and to compete in the market place by gaining a reputation for quality rather than competing on price

Could it be that 5 years from now the whole industry will be turned on its head and professionalism will have arrived, 40% of current instructors will have failed the minimum standards on check test or gone bankrupt due to CPD costs and idiotic pricing,the test pass rate will have risen to 80% and we will all command realistic fees for our services.

Do you think this is the DSA vision of the future? or have I hit the xmas brandy a little to hard.

www.kelvinwhitedrivingschool.co.uk
ORDIT registered PAYG Instructor training in Somerset.
Delivering a highly successful structured course.
All ADI training on a one to one basis with principle trainer Kelvin White,qualified instructor trainer,ROSPA gold twice,Cardington grade A and Workshop Tutor for Somerset Road Safety Partnership.

#24 22-12-07 04:00:46

jaspersplace
Verified Member

When I first qualified I was so enthused that I just wanted to go on learning forever so I did IAM, Rospa,Diamond etc. Nothing to do with CPD per se but more to do with just wanting to have a greater knowledge and experience of the profession I love.

Now, 9 years later, I've added to my CPD list somewhat, can't say that £100 in as resulted in £200 out strictly speaking but it has made me a better instructor who quietly & confidently stands head and shoulders above the rest of the "jeans & trainers" brigade at the DTC.

Now before you all remind me of the prices of designer jeans, especially those really smart & expensive "distressed" variety, lets just take a good look in the professional mirror.

I can remember when a driving lesson cost as much as the test. When there were so few instructors, the pupils actually met the instructor at the local training base. How far have we come ?

The DSA charge approx £1 per minute for the use of an examiner. Yes they are suitably attired and their CPD is compulsory. In their infinite wisdom they increase a test price without a second thought - or so it sems.

Imagine what would happen if we charged £1 per minute ? Now before you say "we'd not have many pupils and we'd be persuading pupils to choose private  tuition". Think again. If this were too happen, the only Instructors who would survive and prosper would be the Instructor who has got off their backside since qualifying, who has invested a few quid and oodles of their time in study and who can proudly yell "grade 6" or "amazing grade 4" from the rooftops.

Bottom line is, in my opinion, the market is saturated with Instructors, just take a look at the classified directories and compare them year on year. Take a look at the standard of Instructor who appears at the DTC - some I wouldn't pay in washers.

Take a look at the "bucket shop" prices being charged by some Instructors who can't get busy. It all sums up the state of play today and so if the introduction of CPD changes the way we view the profession then I'm all for it.

#25 22-12-07 16:00:53

Target
Verified Member
Website

Whilst I share your enthusiasim, and perhaps there does seem to be a little spin placed on some of the comments. The key factor seems to be that over time you have been able to invest more.

Now I wonder if an Adi is going to be given this time. Perhaps this could be the future of controlling the register. New Adis are going to find it hard on the pocket to build thier business and continue a scheme of CPD, meanwhile all the others will be pushing along.

What would you say to an Adi who does not have the time or money to invest in extra qualifications. I say this because in my first full years of trading ive only earnt approx £40,000. Hardly a honest wage for all the time and effort needed to run the business and the training required to become an instructor. Not what I expected for working 12 hour days 5/6 days a week.

Januarys a quite time and I'd normally look at extra training and spending time reading etc, but with an empty diary I need to be out on the streets, not sitting at home reading the HWC.

I do not totally buy into the idea that pupils will pay for CPD either. Id like to beleive it but theres always going to be someone willing to charge less. Ideally I'd like to put £2 per hour on my rates now and invest extra money into training but I tried that in the summer and the phone stopped ringing.

We could be faced with the ones with money to invest are the ones who are braking away from the others.

Back to the drawing board for me. I just hope things pick up in January.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Board footer