You are not logged in.

#1 26-11-07 19:30:47

jq

Helpful hints

I would like to start a thread whereby we can all help each other to improve our instruction. As the the title says 'helpful hints' about instruction methods and things we have learnt along the way. We have varied levels of experience on the forums but we can all learn from each other. When I was first teaching I always wanted the perfect lesson and was reluctant to let my pupils make mistakes. Then a wise old head told me that once you have taught them something let the pupil have a go and let them make the mistake. You can then make them aware of the problem and correct it but if you over prompt you will stifle the learning process.

Please add whatever hints you like but let's keep it friendly. I look forward to learning something new. I'm sure you can come up with some great ideas.

jq

26-11-07 19:30:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Helpful hints

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-11-07 20:30:01

Luchell
Verified Member

Great idea  smile

Ok heres my 'oh my lord please let that never happen again' moment  lol

Trainee at the time, was doing quite OK but lots and lots to learn (like now really still  smile)

Off we go down a dual carriageway me blissfully unaware how much of a problem managing to shove the car into first by accident going about 35 mph can be  yikes

Oh dear, talk about need a nappy change almost came to a stand still with following traffic gobsmacked!! Went back to my senior instructor who was fantastic at Bsm, he said well what you going to do next time. My reply 'be FAR more aware of the gear stick and pupil movements at gear change moment so i have a heads up and if i miss it clutch down immediately and correct the gear.' It's rare but it can still happen if i am not on the ball. At the time it was lack of experience in guiding the pupil through proper 'palming' technique when gear changing and my own lack of experience. As well as my talkthrough being much weaker back then  smile

Hold onto your knickers moment...

I thought my pupil had selected first on approach to the roundabout, she hadn't she went from 3rd back to 3rd pulled out and oh dear we were sat stranded dead in the water across a dodgy roundabout NOT NICE!! Still we learn from our mistakes and others hence why i am writing this  smile If need be get them to double check if you are not sure.

Another

ALWAYS expect the totally unexpected..... Worse case scenario? Think it all the time that way you and your pupil can be ready for those 'unexpected moments' which can be avoided through better anticipation and planning.Think an S.e gave you an unrealistic fault that a learn couldn't possibly do?? WRONG anthing can happen with the real learners, S.es on part three won't shoot the car off a bridge by accident (exaggeration yes but hey you get the point)

Pupils tend to think on the 'i hope it doesn't happen' train of thought to the nah he wouldn't train of thought. It's my job to fill in the 'what ifs'.

No matter how good a pupil you have next to you NEVER take that for granted......... that one moment of oh what pretty Daisy's in that nice Lady's..... CRUNCH is all it takes to wish you hadn't enjoyed the scenery for so long  lol

Not having a good lesson or  good day?? Write down so you can later evaluate how you are doing. Miss something on a lesson? again list it so you can remember it next time.

PART 3 and trainee licence holders, if you dread a pst then do it as much as you can with different pupils practising getting it comfortable so if you do get it on the day it doesn't fill you with dread  smile Have  go at structuring your lessons as mini psts', time yourself with ROMPS,

R    Recap
O    Objectives
M    Main points
P    Practise
S    Summary

do half hour mini stints then move on after all the pink is for to learn and your pupil will benefit from it. It pays to get into good habits early.

A briefing is just that BRIEF, try it i often do the brief and it is brief then say OK read that back......... pupil says ermmmmmmm i can't remember anything  lol wink Pupils mostly learn best by doing so practise and use repetition of exercises to ensure success.

Route planning, worried about getting the pupil to drive home? Hate the peer pressure your pupil is under and therefore you to with the good old 'my mate drove right into town and back on her first lesson why i am here at the side of the road on my first lessons??'

HMMMM lets think, what happens if you build a house in a hurry on pants foundations? It falls down...... what about a strong house on sturdy well buillt foundations?? that's right it stays where it should be although it may have taken more time and effort in the first place. Pupils will always answer with i don't want a house that falls down so why would they want tuition that is full of holes? Explain it simply and i tend to mention it early on if the pupils looks fidgety etc.

You have to not only trust the pupil is ready to get home under full instruction but also that YOU are happy they will 1/ listen and are able to folllow your talkthrough
2/ Are at a standard where you believe that you are up to it.

If you are feeling anxious about new areas and new pupils then go check out the area a little before hand to get a basic route and avoid unnecessary stress.

GET FEEDBACK..... i bet when you've had a bad lesson the pupil didn't actually notice  wink After trying to change my techniques i was distraught when i had Dummy watching in the back, someone who once believed in themselves was now needed to look at the way they did everything. I tried to change too much at once and was left with nothing but a snowballing pupil and lesson which in honesty was just a dangerous lesson. I learnt from it and it and it shook me for a while reminding me painfully of how a candidate or instructor losing control actually feels since as i found part three easy enough.

What did your pupil enjoy about todays lesson? What would they like to work on so you can work together to form a plan. How do they think they are progressing, most cannot see it so lets give our customers some decent feedback so they can see some of the progression themselves.

Try not to over depend on the dual controls, I've been there done that and it does nothing other than make the pupil think they are more capable than they are and is not only annoying but also nerve wracking for the pupil. Get used to making your mouth do the work and use duals if you really really have to. DO NOT hover over the duals after one pupils test i was so ashamed a couple of years ago this is why and gosh did i change my teaching. Bad habits are hard to break..

Pupil says ohhhhh i didn't expect that the examiner never jumped for the pedals like you do  yikes :oops: Soon sorted that!!

Part 3....... if you DO NOT go or do not sign the form and leave your attempt is not gone. Please please if you are not 100 percent e.g ill or upset lose the fee and do the test without almost giving away a lifeline without knowing it  wink

When you get there park near the back of the car park to give yourself enough time to talk the SE through the first emerge if need be!

Ask how slow the S.e is thinking of going across the car park, why and how will they do it?? If its a new topic then you will have time anyway to talk them through the junction.

DO NOT get caught up on bits that aren't pst relevant as such/ within reason........ ask the S.e if they have done that bit before then get on with the new stuff. Let them get on with it if they say they can do it. If need be q and a to get an idea of whats about to happen from your pupils  lol

I know its hard if you are teaching something on your part 3 then TEACH it with what, why how? Let them get on if it's clear they told you they could, if they cannot do something yet then do full talkthrough, that way you are instructing but not teaching the topic that isn't the one you have no need to educate if it is unrelated. If it's nothing to do with the topic the S.es will usually just get on with it so they can assess you on the actual pst in hand.

IF you have an instinct something isn't write say it! Trust your gut  wink

NEVER give up keep at it just as you would a pupil.

Losing control? What would you do with a pupil? Pull them over if need be and take that control back.  wink

New to teachig real pupils and nervous? They will look up to you no matter what you still know far more then they do and we all have to learn  wink

Sorry i am jumping through different orders of topics i am brainstorming so to speak, i am sure i will think of a ton more in a minute!

#3 26-11-07 22:11:14

driver69

Great post Luchell, just wish you had posted that about 12 months ago  smile

Especially the bit about 1st gear at 35mph, mine was at 20mph and that was bad enough.

#4 26-11-07 22:20:25

Luchell
Verified Member

:lol:you won't be the first or the last that it happen  lol We learn from our mistakes anyhow but its nice to have a heads up  lol

#5 26-11-07 23:14:08

Dimmy

Progress in stages. Teach from the known to the unknown, and dont try to complete new tasks that involve multiple new skills in a single bound.

e.g. If you have a novice pupil who struggles with steering on junctions-left/right and elect to encourage push/pull by introducing TITR, then DONT try to teach TITR, but rather, YOU take the foot controls and OBS and talk them through the steering aspect. you can always come back to do the full TITR lesson at a later date. Your aim is to improve steering not overwhelm them with entire new tasks.

I've taken on a very nervous pupil that is actually a very competant driver going forward.
She was exhibiting problems on reverse manouevres of clutch and brake fighting among other issues such as spacial awareness and lack of observations. She'd had over 5 hours on PP with previous instructor and displayed a fear of the manouevre citing every possible fault you could think of as why she just "CANNOT DO IT"

I took control of footbrake and got agreement that she was only to use her left foot on clutch and was to "nudge" the car backwards by raising and lowering the clutch above/below the bite. We performed 3 PP's like that whilst I talked her through using her reference points and her decisions relating to turning points and adjustments to get to parked position. i told her the aim of the lesson was to gain correct position before turning, how much to steer and that our finishing position was not relevent today but would be dealt with on another lesson. I promised that whenever she said "brake" I would apply brake, which I did.

Progressively through the lesson I transferred another responsibility over to her (whilst i remained in control of footbrake). she gained speed control, her reference points, her spacial awareness AND was able to correct the finishing distance from the kerb and target vehicle. Not once did we need to use 1st gear.
Finally, with just 10 mins of practice time left I suggested she take the brake control too but was only to use it when she said "brake". In that 10 mins she performed 2 competant parks, with full obs and control. Not a hint of brake+clutch fight. Exceeding the aims of the lesson by some margin but most rewarding of all for both of us was her loss of negativity towards the PP.
Break down the tasks, share them then transfer each element as ability grows.

Her issue was the tension in the car from the clutch pushing and the brake holding was being transfered to her and she couldnt relax to allow herself the chance to concentrate on any of the aspects of the manouevre, resulting in total lack of confidence.

#6 27-11-07 12:41:47

Luchell
Verified Member

Oh heres another...

Early lessons with a pupil? Gone the wrong way or to a dead end? No need to swap seats let the pupil do the bits they can and you assist with the pedals or whatever you need to. That way the pupil learns still and has no idea you accidently took them down a dead end and had to do a 27 point turn whilst smiling and saying 'wow this is great steering practise for you'  lol lol

Want to get the pupil driving home but theres the odd dodgy bit thats out of their league on the way back? Come in and once again get them to do the bits they can whilst you do whats necessary and let them know which bit you are doing. I don't recommend trying to get the learner all over the place with us doing the pedals whatsoever but if theres a notoriously nasty junction you cannot avoid don't feel bad if you need to step in briefly.

#7 27-11-07 13:12:32

jq

Just a few more to get you thinking.

No matter how well you have explained something don't expect them to do what you tell them.

Test standard means when they no longer need you on all routes not just the easy ones.

Before doing any manoeuvres get them in a big empty car park and just reverse here, there and everywhere at all sorts of angles. Take away the fear of reversing before doing a set manoeuvre.

Explain why you need to check the mirrors not just when. Had a pupil come to me who had failed 4 tests. Told me it was for mirror checks yet he reckoned he checked his mirrors often. He never checked his mirrors at any of the appropriate times it was plain scary. Had an 1 hour lesson solely on mirrors and suddenly he couldn't get over how easy it was to remember them.

With the TITR exercise on the first couple of attempts tell them to creep until they touch the kerbs in both directions. Then let them get a feel for the position of the car on the road. On the next couple of attempts get them to stop just short and get the same feel for position. Saves time in the long run.

Use photographs taken from your own car to explain manoeuvres. It makes them a lot easier than a verbal explanation.

I'm sure a lot of you use these already. We will all benefit from this thread so keep them coming.

By the way Hayley the going into 1st gear at 30mph also caught me out.  big_smile

#8 27-11-07 15:08:57

Luchell
Verified Member

Oh oh got another  lol

Sometimes if i am explaining a reference point you can see the pupil blankly staring at you, i give them my mobile, car stationary of course and tell them to show me what they can see or i may show them through a picture what i am on about or how somthing should look e.g mirror setup. I have pictures i find invaluable on my moby at the moment but will get them printed when i can. I can then explain or show the pupil what i am on about when i say 'where the kerb meets the car' etc or however i put it  smile

#9 27-11-07 15:16:02

VandADI
Administrator

In the same vein as Luchell, take LOTS of pictures.  I have mine in A4 size and laminated of various situations for use in discussions - all those awkward roundabouts/junctions, whatever, snap it, print it, love it!

#10 27-11-07 15:20:38

spikeyperch

Google Earth for the tricky junctions. I have done this and laminated as above, very useful to actually look at the junction with cars on it. Particularly useful for roundabouts. Ev

#11 28-11-07 14:01:05

GrahamADI
Verified Member

This works with about 90% of my pupils.

When teaching manoeuvers (I can never spell that !!!!!!!! word!), don't give them any reference points. Just tell them the basics ie the approx path, distance to the kerb, the desired end result etc. Let them find their own way to do it. After a couple of attempts, they'll have it cracked, and hey presto, parallel parking taught with virtually no input from yourself!

#12 28-11-07 23:06:10

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Sat-Nav.
I not only use it to find a pupils house when on their first lesson.
Mine has a picture viewer of an sd card.  I have all my reference photos on there now, because i found it took ages to bring them up on my mobile, and the sat nav screen is much bigger and brighter.
Its also useful for showing the position of the roads on a particular roundabout or junction etc your pupil has just mad a mistake on.
Once at test standard, I make them drive somewhere they dont know then get them to go home using the sat nav
(funny how they work perfectly for viewing pics etc, but once you ask them to take you home...........)

#13 12-12-07 16:27:34

lindag
Verified Member
Website

I know this is gonna sound totally bonkers but it works with one of my pups yikes)
She keeps going into 1st from 2nd instead of the intended 3rd gear, I can say 'palm' 'cup' until the cows come home.....so now I say 'cup o tea 3' i.e hold the gear lever like you hold a cup of tea without using the handle IT'S WORKED YAY

I've even got her saying it before me lol, no more missed gears with this pup ;O)
Linda

#14 12-12-07 18:43:04

driver69

That`s a refreshing idea lindag, must remember that.  smile

#15 07-12-08 18:54:45

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I would suggest developing lesson plans, setting aims and objectives and having a scheme of work. Thinking about how you are going to teach the subject. Collect teaching and learning aids. Do CPD for your self and work hard. Reflect upon lessons and difficult pupils and consult as we are doing other instructors. Remember what you do well and change what you dont.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 07-12-08 19:21:03

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

She keeps going into 1st from 2nd instead of the intended 3rd gear,

Try second to neutral to third.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 08-12-08 00:16:20

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

She keeps going into 1st from 2nd instead of the intended 3rd gear,

Try second to neutral to third.

Yep. Up, let go and up.

#18 31-05-09 19:36:54

Jaemey
Verified Member
Website

I had a couple of clients do this and manged to help them crack it really simply and it was purely by accident lol. They seemed not to be able to keep the car in a straight line especially after turning. One girl just kept turning the wheel even when she'd completed the turn itself. I took her to a deserted car park got her to do full lock full lock and various amounts of lock so she could get a feel for how the car responds. This still didn't work. I was wracking my brains and couldn't work out why this girl just wasn't getting it, I asked her loads of different questions and still didn't get to the bottom of it. We set off again and got soooo fed up with this girl I just told her to point the nose of the car towards the other end of the car park. BINGO!!!. She started steering perfectly. We moved it on to junctions, telling her to point the nose towards the end of the road. It worked and I finally discovered she was looking at the nose of the car instead of in front of it lol

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

www.passexpress.co.uk

#19 18-12-09 16:46:59

ron14673

Hi Folks

With the second to third problem I ask my pupils if they have a brother or sister who gets on their nerves and if they do I simply tell them to hit them on the back of the head twice. In other words dont grip the gear stick merely strike it forward twice and it goes into third every time. The prolem getting first or fifth is that the pupil grips the gear stick and moves it forward putting side on it with my simple method the car does all the cross 'H' work and the pupil just guides it forward.

Hitting their sibling makes them laff and I make sure they dont take it seriously.

#20 24-02-11 16:07:05

Newly_Ad1

Absolutly great tread. shame im 2 years too late lol

#21 24-02-11 19:23:26

gadgetdriver
Website

On the "any pupil at any stage can do anything" topic - near test standard, very confident (perhaps a little too confident) ... I changed from Mini to MG ZR (2.0 diesel). 60mph limit accelerating away from roundabout, a bit enthusiastic and went to change 3 to 4 at about 50 and he hit the brake with the left foot as hard as a clutch should be pressed. I was too busy saying "off the brake" 5 times in my sternest tones to see the face of the chap behind us. He was a bit too close and was lucky not to rear-end us. I bet his face was a picture. Probs thought I was practising emergency stop right in front of him! I finally got the pupil off the brake at about 20 mph. I guess the ZR's brake was where the Mini's clutch was, but he'd managed the previous 15 minutes ok!

Pupils can do anything anywhere.

ADI since 2004.
Producer of animated and printed briefing materials.
www.drivertrainingacademy.com

#22 24-02-11 22:12:43

Newly_Ad1

my pupil had a exellent lesson but last min out of nowere drove straight on to the pavement on a S bend i couldnt believe my eye as i was watching carefully. Did not see that coming!

#23 19-07-11 12:47:32

casper

Had pup who was very nervous of roundabouts, especially timing when he could go. Had given lots of info on how to judge, sinals, rd position etc. Also covered lots of quiet simple ones, but as soon as we got anywhere a bit busier he fell apart, lots of stalling, not looking clearly, stopping when completely clear etc. After a good chat we had our solution. I drove, comentating on approach for speed and braking only and left him to decide if i could go or not, after a few pulled over and discussed why he made decision. Did this for 1 hour, second hour, let him try. Hey presto it worked a treat.
Also as has already been said, i use basic TIR somewhere quiet and wide to help early on with clutch cont and steering, works a treat especially with a sloping rd.
Have read rest of tips with interest, very helpfull to such as me early on in career (well hopefully career) smile

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

#24 19-07-11 16:21:34

Barry500
Website

So many helpful hints to read, can any one use them all in a check test when the examiner says he/she don't get it?

#25 16-01-14 18:13:17

russchaplin2410
Verified Member
Website

I like to do a lesson with pupils using a sat nav to show how tricky they can be to use. Learners can find the voice a real distraction and the directions tend to come a bit late for them. This is a particular problem when having to change lanes in a busy town environment. It's all good real driving experience though. When it comes to finding a new pupil's address I'm an old fashioned A-Z man.  cool

I'm Russ Chaplin. I teach driving in the Nottingham area. I am also a driving instructor trainer. visit me at driving lessons Nottingham

Board footer