You are not logged in.

#1 15-11-07 09:11:11

jackie99100

Driving in your head

Now i have turned into a complete loony yikes, when i go to bed ,trying to go to sleep i drive everywere in my head and i can't get to sleep. The funny thing is though, i am a fantastic driver in my head  lol is it just me or does anyone else do this.I have totally gone round the bend in 2nd gear tongue How sad is that.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

15-11-07 09:11:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving in your head

#2 15-11-07 09:21:57

Dimmy

Ever watched athletes before they perform? They go through the whole performance in their head BEFORE they even start. They try to visulize themselves doing the perfect performance.

I think what you are doing is a great idea. The more times you can visulize yourself driving from home to the shops, parking up and driving home again, and doing everything in the correct order and in a safe manner will filter through and help the next time you drive to the shop for real.

It will work for manouevres too, in fact any task that requires mental and physical cordination.

Of course, that doesnt mean you should be visulizing driving from one end of the country to the other, you'll never get to sleep, lol.

Short (5 to 10 minutes) episodes of visulization prior to sleeping may well be benificial, any longer and you might like trying to park the car up at a field and counting sheep instead.   lol

#3 15-11-07 09:29:03

jackie99100

I have tried counting sheep but i end up getting in my imaginary car and running them over tongue Thanks for your answer, so i am not a loon then thanks for that .I can only hope it improves my driving.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

#4 15-11-07 09:44:23

yasmin
Verified Member

Only start to worry when you check your imaginary mirrors before overtaking another pedestrian when you are walking behind them! I do it all the time!  roll

#5 15-11-07 09:56:51

jackie99100

Oh dear yasmin, i do that as well but i was going to keep it to myself yikes

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 15-11-07 11:21:04

Top Marks
Verified Member

I often tell my otherhalf she needs mirrors for shopping, she is forever bumping into old ladies while walking around the supermarket!

[IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/markadi_2006/av.jpg[/img]

WWW.Top-Marks-SoM.CoM

#7 15-11-07 11:40:57

driverpete
Verified Member

So I'm not the only one who checks imaginary mirrors when I'm on foot!

On a more serious note I often advise pupils to imagine a perfect drive especially if they're getting a bit of pre-test jitters; as Dimmy says, athletes do it all the time, especially downhill skiers and racing drivers.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 15-11-07 12:14:38

koolchick

I have tried counting sheep but i end up getting in my imaginary car and running them over tongue Thanks for your answer, so i am not a loon then thanks for that .I can only hope it improves my driving.

LOL Why? you're not meant to run sheep over.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 15-11-07 12:51:23

jackie99100

So I'm not the only one who checks imaginary mirrors when I'm on foot!

On a more serious note I often advise pupils to imagine a perfect drive especially if they're getting a bit of pre-test jitters; as Dimmy says, athletes do it all the time, especially downhill skiers and racing drivers.

So now i will imagine i am an athlete/race driver i will be speeding on my next lesson.  roll

#10 15-11-07 15:16:25

gday
Verified Member
Website

I have a pupil who tells me the same she even said she practices her manoeuvres in bed!    big_smile But for god sake make sure you don't fall asleep in bed while you are driving!  wink

#11 15-11-07 16:57:30

caterpillar

Me Too lol I practiced my left reverse and reverse parking every night for the whole of the time I was learning, thought I was going mad. I was always good at it in my sleep but not as good in reality,never mind I eventually passed anyway.

Learning to drive did take over my life and I still can`t believe I am a driver yikes

#12 16-11-07 17:09:23

iwanadrive

I also have to admit i am forever sitting there practicing driving.  I constantly go through maneuvers in my head and have found it does benefit me, especially if I'm getting stressed whilst driving, I'll try to remember how i did it in my imaginary car and this helps to calm me and focus.

Not started on the imaginary mirrors though!!

#13 16-11-07 22:22:49

pj
Verified Member

I encourage my pupils to do this, I'm a great believer in visualising and imagining yourself driving between lessons, I tell them to imagine that the test is a show and when they are out with me it's a dress rehearsal but they still have to go over their lines between lessons.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#14 18-11-07 14:48:37

yasmin
Verified Member

Just read all your replies! Glad to know you're as mad as me Jackie99100 and driverpete!

#15 22-11-07 12:47:50

razzie

I do it too and I find that I also practice when I'm a passenger, quite often I find my feet are braking and changing gear without me knowing!

#16 27-11-07 17:28:16

iwanadrive

I am forever driving for other people as a passenger.  The worst one was the other day when we were on a school trip with the children i work with, i tried to slam on the invisible brake as some idiot decided to cut us up and then proceeded to have a go at him, without realizing that i had children around me.  Am grateful i didn't swear!

#17 31-01-08 22:55:24

Shazzer

Just seen this thread! I used to drive in my sleep for years before I started learning, and I drove really well!
Now I also practice anytime, i'm thinking about it on the bus, as a passenger and still while i'm asleep!

#18 03-02-08 14:21:29

Lianne

lol i do this all the time, espically with the manouvers.  Just keep going over and over them in my head espically reverse round ccorner, hate that one so much.  i can sometimes do it ok and others i just cant.

#19 07-03-08 12:56:02

loulou

I sit in class doing the pedals under the desk. I probably wont pass English but at least I wont stall at roundabouts! RESULT

#20 07-03-08 15:37:20

email@passwithjohn.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

Make sure you move any valuables away from your bed in case you try and perform an emergency/controlled stop!

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!

Approved Driving Instructor
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/drivinglessonsstockport.html
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/blog

Board footer