You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-11-07 00:16:08

MsZetec2.0

Not proud of myself and need advice. ADIs?

I nearly caused an accident tonight and I am seriously freaked out by it. I had a day today where I just couldn't seem to drive for toffee. I got stressed out by a multi-storey car park this morning. I spotted a parking space on the other side of a wall and got myself lost trying to find it. I then ended up going the wrong way up a down ramp and causing another driver to stop for me. I couldn't believe I had done something so stupid and it's been a long time such I made such a silly mistake. To top it off, as I returned to the car I discovered I had lost my ticket for the parking machine and had to pay the full day's charge to get my car out. Really was stressed out by then.

I was feeling better by the time I got home, 20 min motorway run, and took some old junk to the local tip and took my Gran shopping, no problems. Tonight I was out at a gig, found the venue no probs, wasn't stressed out driving there or anything, almost went the wrong way down a one way street but calmly read the signs, realised almost straight away what I was about to do, checked it was safe to still go straight ahead (no one trying to overtake coz I'd signalled left then cancelled it, etc) and took an alternative route. Driving back was when I had the problem. It's a city centre road but with 2 lanes. I stayed in the outside lane coz I was turning right to go up onto the motorway a little way along. There was 1 set of traffic lights right before my turn off and the lane markings change to left hand lane for straight ahead and right hand lane for right turn only. I was in the correct lane, the lights were green, then just as I started to make my turn, noticed a small sort lane coming off the right turn lane, not even big enough for a full car and then give way lines at the end of it. I registered it too late and didn't even think to look to my left before making the turn. I think I thought that the oncoming traffic should have red lights if mine were green, almost like a filter light, as most of the other traffic lights in the city centre operate like that. Anyway, I was nearly half way across the road when I heard tyres squealing, looked to my left and there was a guy with smoke pouring off his tyres heading straight for me. He had obviously had to do an emergency stop from 30 MPH to avoid hitting me. The road is a 30 limit but I dunno if he was obeying it or not. Luckily we both came out unscathed physically and no damage to the cars, thank God he was on the ball and stopped in time. I'm just very, very shaken by it, especially as it was my own mistake that caused it.

I'm just really looking for some professional advice on how I can stop myself making similar mistakes in the future. I had been planning on joining the IAM soon for some advanced tuition, as I think it will help when I come to do my B+E test, so would this help identify if I have any specific issues I need to work on? Will it help me be more aware of everything on the road? I feel that's what let me down tonight and I don't want to get back in the car until I can trust myself to keep myself safe again. I am also thinking about phoning my old instructor up for some more lessons, or even just an assesment of my current standard to see if I do need to iron out some issues. Would you be OK with an ex student approaching you for such lessons after 18 months? What sort of format would the lessons likely take? Any suggestions, help and advice greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but I really don't want end up hurting myself or worse, other people.

And I get scared but I'm not crawling on my knees...

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.p … ral/26123/

May all your crossroads be signposted.

09-11-07 00:16:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Not proud of myself and need advice. ADIs?

#2 09-11-07 08:29:43

spikeyperch

I will pm you Jaz. Ev

#3 09-11-07 20:30:00

Rockin
Verified Member

It is not wrong to call your old instructor for advice. I always tell my pupils when they pass that they are always welcome to call me on any issue if they want to in the future. I sounds to me on your drive above that you possibly wasn't concentrating on what you were doing but obviously cant give a definate opinion. The good thing of course is that you know you had a bad day and have learnt by it.
Give your old instructor a call, Im sure he will be pleased to hear from you and help.

#4 09-11-07 20:58:39

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

You will quite often hear people saying in jest that when you pass your driving test... That is you now learning to drive !!.

This is actually a very true statement.  You are now out on the "University of Roads" as I call it.

Out of all the things that you describe... Do you think you will do it again ?.  I am sure you will answer no because you have now learned by experience.  This experience will grow & grow.

I have been driving for 34 years and I am still learning from experience.

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#5 09-11-07 23:35:48

MsZetec2.0

Determined not to make a mistake like that ever again but am also worrying about it as I honestly can't work out how it happened in the first place. With heinsight, I may have been thinking ahead of myself, of turn offs and the route I was taking but I'm still really worried about driving. I made myself go out today, just round my village, couple of meet situations, 1 roundabout and parked up a couple of times. Am consciously trying to drive like a learner again, am talking myself through absolutely everything. I may have to do a 300 mile round trip next week to see my other half and I honestly don't know if I'll be able to. Venturing further than my local area is terrifying me atm.

And I get scared but I'm not crawling on my knees...

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.p … ral/26123/

May all your crossroads be signposted.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 10-11-07 00:44:43

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Hi MsZetec2.0 ... Yes you made a mistake probably through a little inexperience, but as I said earlier, we all learn from our mistakes and I am so glad that in your case there were no injuries.
You will never make that mistake at that particular junction again and if it has taught you anything, it teaches you to be more alert at strange junctions.

I may have to do a 300 mile round trip next week to see my other half and I honestly don't know if I'll be able to. Venturing further than my local area is terrifying me atm.

You must not let this bad experience affect you like this.  You have to plan your journey and just get out there and enjoy it.  You will soon get over it and start to become a good driver.

One thing I didn't ask.... Did you do a Pass Plus course ?.  If not, I think in your case it would be very worthwhile.  Just contact your old instructor who should be able to advise you.

All the best... Ian

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#7 10-11-07 09:30:51

Dimmy

Well, If one of my pupils approached me after 18 months of being fully qualified i'd be pleased as punch that they were acting so responsibly.   Good on you !!!

Taking a few refresher lessons will do you the world of good.  the instructor can "remind" you of a few things you may not be doing, and will also be able to confirm for you that you are a safe driver and merely suffered a few lapses on that day.

Might even be worth taking the instructor over the same route.

I'd try to refrain from "driving like a learner". You are much more than that. Try instead, driving like an instructor.

The majority of driver errors after they passed their test will be lapses in MSPSL and LADA, and from your post it seems your faults could have been avoided by employing MSPSL and LADA.

Look further ahead as well as nearby, work on anticipating and planning, uses MSPSL and LADA routines and i'm sure your confidence will be boosted.

Call your instructor for a couple of refresher sessions.......... and ENJOY your driving, you love your car and you love driving and have pride in your abilities, so next time you get in the car remind yourself of that.

Board footer