You are not logged in.

#1 21-02-05 20:16:47

Dom Kavanagh

Using my own car for the part 2

Hello Folks!  Just wondering what comments/advice anyone may have on the following:  I'm intending using my own car for my third attempt at part 2.  My first and second attempts at part two, were, I believe, partly down to me not feeling comfortable driving the astra or corsa - particularly the astra.  I'm far more used to my own VW Golf and got a serious fault for 'gears' in both previous attempts at part 2.  I also messed up on a right reverse in the astra, although it was more the pressurised situation rather than the car to 'blame'.   Having said this, in my practice immediately prior to my second attempt at part 2, I drove without any errors.  The way I look at it is, if you feel at all 'on edge' or uncomfortable about the car your driving, switch to one you know well and drive in day to day.  Any comments/advice gladly received.

Cheers
Dom

21-02-05 20:16:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Using my own car for the part 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-02-05 21:09:31

rachdrive
Website

Hi Dom,

I am very surprised that your trainer didn't suggest you use your own car for every attempt!! After all this is the car you drive everyday and are comfortable with!!

If you feel the way you do then YES go ahead and use your own car. Remember you just need to stay focused and try not to let the nerves get to you too much. (easier said than done!!).

Also Why did you have 2 different cars??? Did you have different trainers?

All the best
Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#3 21-02-05 21:21:01

luchell

im using bsms astra for part 2. its fine for everything but not right and left reverse. you cant watch the curb out the back window cos thanks to the rear headrestraints it makes it a nightmare. im hoping ill find a way round this but using my peugeot 106 would have been a happier option in some ways but i prefer the mirrors on the astra and the overall drive with it.

#4 22-02-05 20:56:23

Rauxaman

The test is going to be a stressful situation so why add more stress of a different car?
Plus you can practice before the big day all you want if you have a suitable vehicle.
It'll cost less than a fiver for an extra rear view mirror assuming that you have a headrest for the examiner.

#5 22-02-05 22:09:28

Dom Kavanagh

Cheers Rauxaman, luchell and Rachdrive for your comments - all very good to read.  Rauxaman, I've just bought the rear view mirror and the VW has headrest for the examiner, so that looks sorted.

Luchell, know what you mean about the Astra for the reverse manoeuvres.  That's what resulted in one of my serious faults.  I like the gears, as they're similar to the VW, but  hate that back 'ledge'.

Rachdrive, no I had the same trainer all along, but I think a corsa wasn't available at short notice for part 2 second attempt and I didn't think I'd have a problem, so didn't try for a Corsa second time around.  The OR sessions were done partly in a Corsa and partly in an Astra depending on availability.  I actually  also prefer the drive of an Astra over the Corsa, but the rear view is a problem for me in the Astra - less of a problem in my VW Golf, just due to the rear view design and seating position.  I was under the impression that insurance for the exam would be a tricky issue, but not in fact as I've now discovered.   You're right about staying focused - both times I've got 'rattled' by my first error and let in linger in my mind, leading to a lack of concentration later on in the test.  It has to be said, admittedly that the first error has been a serious one both times in the first 20 mins., so I know what I've got to aim for to improve on this.

#6 23-02-05 00:25:06

luchell

how did you mange then reverse? did you find you couldnt see the appropriate bits of kerd out the back window like me lol. what did you get the fault for on reversing? im not sure we'd be allowed as it were i dont know if its common for bsm to have a student take part 2 in their own car?

#7 23-02-05 09:41:50

Ammanvalley

I hate the new Astra's.  I had all my lessons in the old style astra then a week or so before my test instructor updates his car and I didn't get on with it at all.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 23-02-05 09:56:14

Rauxaman

You're right about staying focused - both times I've got 'rattled' by my first error and let in linger in my mind, leading to a lack of concentration

I know that it is difficult but if you make a mistake (or think that you have) you must put it behind you, re-focus and carry on with the test to the very best of your ability.

You must avoid dwelling on it (except maybe after the test) or a pyramid of mistakes will be created, it's called "breaking the chain" of events, if you don't see the chain developing and break it then things will deteriorate, this is how tests can be failed and ultimately accidents happen.

I have only done a mock Pt2 so far (12 errors) and it seemed to go very quickly. I have also realised from this experience that, in the limited time available, the test has to be sequenced... open road driving, town driving and manouvres... so when you are directed onto a residential estate you know what is coming up and you should be able to then focus you mind and mentally prepare for the maouvres, I know that is what I'll be doing next mock test drive.

Board footer