You are not logged in.

#1 01-10-07 17:20:44

kurtangle

Learning to Drive - My Blog

Okay so I have decided to make like a little diary on here on how im getting on and how far I have reached.

Okay so I have booked a lesson for the 11th October (Thursday) at 1030 with Andy1st.  I'm guessing that first off he just wants to assess my driving ability at the moment.  I hope he isn't expecting too much cos I need to rebuild my confidence again. 

Passed Theory 1st time.
Passed Theory 1st time again after expiry of 1st pass.
Passed Practical 1st time with 3 minors.
Learnt to drive in a month !!!

01-10-07 17:20:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learning to Drive - My Blog

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-10-07 17:33:40

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Nice idea kurt  smile this way u can read back over all points which will be very helpful to yourself and others.

Good luck on the 11th  big_smile

#3 01-10-07 22:16:46

dog
Verified Member

I'm sure you will do fine. I went into my first test expecting a fail. And I passed with 4 minors.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 06-10-07 14:13:09

koolchick

I'm sure you will do fine. I went into my first test expecting a fail. And I passed with 4 minors.

I went into my 5th with my ADI convinced I'd fail I'd only had him a week and really didn't like lessons with him he would put me down every chance he got. One lesson he said I was speeding on a national speed limit road doing 47mph cos we had just passed an advisory speed limit of 40 and to make it clear I know what speed signs you have to obey and which you don't the ones in red circle you have to obey and the ones in rectangle are advisory but this ADI didn't accept that and to prove I was right a few metres after the advisory 40 there was a national speed limit sign. Also said I had made cars slow down when I don't think I did. In fact got to stage where I was not really taking much notice of what he said cos I'd had enough lessons to know when I did mistakes ect I didn't need telling and 2 ADIs said I was ready for test so was like just use this ADI to get through test. Got to stage where I just wanted it over with to get rig of this ADI what ever result.

#5 10-10-07 15:21:40

learnerdriver

Good idea to keep a blog: wish I had done so

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url

#6 10-10-07 19:06:33

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Good luck, Kurtangle. I will look forward to reading your blog.

#7 11-10-07 10:06:14

kurtangle

The dude rang me up this morning saying that he was really ill and he sounded really ill too on the phone, goooood i have to wait one more week for a lesson now  :'( .

Learning to drive is going to take forever sad

Passed Theory 1st time.

#8 12-10-07 21:40:15

mountain man
Verified Member
Website

koolchick.
           just wondering why didnt you go to test with any of your other 2 adi's. was there a problem with them?

#9 22-10-07 14:43:53

koolchick

The ADI I was with before my last test was having time off cos of family issues and health issues the one before him retired.

Learning to drive does take a while kurtangle but just make sure you enjoy your lessons and don't let mistakes bother you as every one has bad lessons they are normal. I was told by my 1st ADI that learning to drive takes on average a year and I hoped to do it in less but actually took me nearly exactly 16 month just 3 days off the 16month mark. Once you pass you wont be bothered how long it took or how many tests it took and its well worth the wait.

#10 22-10-07 15:52:05

kurtangle

this dude that was meant to take my driving lessons was useless i waited friday for him... i even tried to ring him but he didnt get back to me so i thought to myself i might aswell try another school... now i have a lesson booked with result on thursday at 11am... fingers crossed we get the ballin freaking rolling cos its disheartening to see all my mates driving now and im still commuting via trains to get to uni not only that need abit of freedom... i even bought a steering wheel to aid me learning to drive... ARRRRRRRGH I WANT TO START DRRRRRIVVVVVVING!

Passed Theory 1st time.

#11 22-10-07 16:03:21

Disky
Verified Member
Website

I can understand your frustrations, but please remember that "THIS DUDE" is also human and we can sometimes take unwell.

I would be curious to the reason for him not getting  back to you, i find that even if i run 5 or 10 mins late, i always phone my pupils to advise, it only take a moment and then everyone knows whats happening.

Hope your new instructor works well for you, but remember, time is not the be all and end all, you want to be a good safe driver, not just one that passed quickly. Skills like driving ae not something that can be given to you 100%, you need to work at it and put in the effort, from whatyou've said and by already getting a wheel to practice on, im sure you'll do fine

Good luck
Regards
Ray

#12 26-10-07 11:31:22

kurtangle

I understand the fact he was ill don't get me wrong but he didn't get in touch with me, I hope that he gets well as soon as possible. 

My lesson went really great, I told him about how many lessons I had and to just go through everything from the start cos I think it would of been a way of getting used to the way he teaches.  I did pretty well didn't make many mistakes to be honest the only thing I could have been doing wrong is not looking at the correct mirrors at the right time.  I felt alot more comfortable too as he seemed like an instructor that has been doing his job for a while.  He wanted to also take me on the main roads but I told him that I felt alot more comfortable staying on the smaller roads while I get used to the way he teaches. 

Felt good, can't wait for my next lesson, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be as I just thought to myseld just to listen to him, I think he felt that I felt confident driving but I didn't really but if he thinks that then its all good.

Booked for Thursday 0930 and Friday 0930 again for hour lessons then after that I think I may step it up to 2 hours at a time.

Don't want to get too carried away but I want be fully confident driving by Xmas, then I can prepare for a test before March sometime as my theory runs out!

Wiccccccked!

Passed Theory 1st time.

#13 29-10-07 15:36:36

koolchick

I was exactly like you only didn't say when I didn't feel ready for junctions on 4th lesson I was hoping to stay on the quiet road I'd been on and the one bend. My ADI told me I would be starting on junctions I knew I wasn't ready but thought ok I'll give it a go as quicker I can do junctions quicker we get doing other stuff and test. I drive up to junction I was told to stop even if I could see it was clear so I stop then my ADI decides to tell me to carry on so I go straight back on gas no clutch and stall well that did it I paniced too much and kept stalling so in end my ADI has to get us round again. I have another go and told I can carry on if clear so I manage ok this time. Not sure if I should of told her I wasn't ready or not.

I was always wanting as many lessons as possible and bit of advise work out if you can afford 2 hour lessons regular cos once you get used to 2 hour lessons one hour seems far too short tho 2 hour at 1st may seem a bit long I remember my 1st 2 hour lesson and I was ready for it to end but told my ADI I'd enjoyed it as I was determined 2 hour wouldn't be too long for me and the next lesson 2 hour ended way too soon.

#14 01-11-07 11:47:31

kurtangle

Okay cool I had another lesson today, I think I got abit rusty with my stop and starts and I didn't practice in my area so I think I got abit nervous then, but I got over that quickly.  We practiced around an area where I may take my test.  I did a few left turns at a t junction, was abit hesitant at the approach of the connection road, learnt all about open and closed areas where you can see cars coming or not by restrictions. Also did abit of peek and creek i think its called, i need to learn to control the car when im doing that.  Correct a big mistake of coasting which I had into my routine, so now i'm applyin break then clutch then gear where as before my instructor kinda gave me the vibe where clutch then brake is what to do. 

He noted that I need to do things alittle more quicker, I think he means when I'm starting off, man only if my dad let my drive around the block in his car on my own.  So I think the mindest I'm going to take into my next lesson is POM alot more quicker.

Need to also practice my right turns at a T junction cos I know I was struggling abit on when to turn before.

i'm starting to sound like such a wuss at driving lol.

@kool chic... I was watching some other dude in front of me taking a left turn from a junction infront of us and i kept putting into my head that im not gonna be as bad as what he was doing in his car but he did exactly the same thing, he stalled about 4 times though at a T junction and im thinking to myself im loosing valuble time here.

I tottaly agree with you on your perspective on 2 hour lessons, I have done that before my first 2 hour lesson seemed so crazily long but when i went back to 1 hour it was so crazily quick i went back to the 2 hour and i found it pretty relaxing.  ive not ended up thinking it ends too soon just yet tho.

i was going to have another lesson tommo but he will be busy in the morning, and I only feel like driving in the morning to be honest alot less road users about. but we have booked a lesson from thursday for an hour then hopefully next friday for an hour and then we'll defo move into 2 hour chunks for sure.

no stalls today, which is pretty good i think and i sussed out how to stop it from stalling too (well i mean my natural instinct now tells me to put the clutch back down.

Passed Theory 1st time.

#15 27-06-08 16:47:39

kurtangle

Hey guys im back lol...

I've booked a practical test for the 8th of August, and I'm trying to cram in as many lessons as i can 2 hours each before then.  I've booked with BSM and its been a really good lesson.

Started off with some left and right turns going around a block which was flawless basically... so we stepped it up abit went to some busier roads and i did that pretty good too... was very aware of situations, stop and started, my clutch control was wicked... that was only because he said to me drop the accelerater the thickness of a pound and then ease of the clutch... changed gears up to 3rd and then 4th at times here and there... which was cool cos i haven't used 4th really... i was pretty good at one point cos there was some muppet who pulled out from no where and braked before the instructor could use his controls and he was really impressed... so i guess im getting somewhere... next time im gonna end up going to drive around more traffic and approach some more roundabouts but i already did some of that today so i guess next one will be a mastering skill...

the booklet bsm give me have a chart to monitor the skills and i got a 4 in all of them which means skills carried out with minimal prompts these are the ones that i had marked

USE OF CAR CONTROLS AND INSTRUMENTS
CARRY OUT COCKPIT DRILL
MOVE OFF SAFELY
STEER ACCURATE COURSE
STOP NORMALLY
CHANGE GEAR
CLUTCH CONTROL
TURN LEFT
EMERGE LEFT
TURN RIGHT
EMERGE RIGHT
GIVE SIGNALS
USE MIRRORS EFFECTIVELY

im kinda preparing myself better with the use of some training videos i found on a website so its kinda not new to me when im there but i take more onto account wat my tutor is sayin...

the tutor is really really good... best instructor ive had... nice and calm, clear and concisie, does not shout and knows when to be quiet and let me concentrate and when to talk and test me a little... and no he doesnt go on about his beliefs lol... cant wait to get some more under my belt... next lesson monday 5.30 till 7.30

Passed Theory 1st time.

#16 28-06-08 21:59:13

wolfchild08

Good luck with your test, same date as my next one.

Theory passed 1st time 19/1/08 49/50 65/75
1st Practical failed 15/5/08 2s 8m
2nd Practical failed 13/6/08 - 1d
3rd Practical failed 27/6/08 - 2s 13m
4th Practical failed 11/7/08 - 3s 10m
5th Practical passed 2/8/08 - 7m

#17 29-06-08 02:02:49

kurtangle

for real? cool... what have you failed on previously if you don't mind me asking?

Passed Theory 1st time.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 29-06-08 06:26:18

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...I hope he isn't expecting too much cos I need to rebuild my confidence again. ..

Hi Kurt a good ADI won't be expecting anything. That's why we need to assess!   8-)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#19 28-07-08 01:01:14

kurtangle

Hey people im back, i havent really been updating you guys alot, sorry.

Okay well my instructor is ACE! Clear, to the point, doesn't raise his voice, and we have a good level of understand when to talk and not to talk whilst driving.

Basically we've got the manouvres of the 3 point turn, parallel partking and reverse around the corner mastered too.  I can correct if I feel I have made a poor start or a poor middle section or not so sweet on the end.  I'm just abit panicky that I may cock it up on the test day thats why I need some sorta way to calm me down about it.  I would clearly advise everyone to get a CD by LDC from morrisions, basically not just that it has the theory test info, but it helps a great deal using the practical tests info.  Basically it walks you through on how the practical will go and boy o' boy am i glad i saw it if i was going straight into my first test and i saw that lady doing all them things i would have instantly had a racing heart and a crap just about coming outta my arse lol (excuse the french) but no it give u an insider on how it will be and its really quick the test, seeing as tho ive only taken 2 hour lessons when im with my instructor. 

I've been through heavy traffic, been down country side roads where its so risky i mean the roads are so narrow and u dont know wats coming around the corner, and dual carriage ways which instantly look like motor ways.

I've worked out that when in a high gear your coming to slow down and your selecting 2nd gear, just take it of easily as you may make the car shudder, just take as care as the time when u lift of the clutch in 1st gear.

Other than that I need to solidify my approach to turnings, mirrors signal then correct speed and manovure.

I just have a habbit of tryin to quickly get off the mark to match the speed of other drivers when im at a traffic light but they rather see simple gear changes and steady progress.

Gotta also keep checking the rear mirrors when im changing gears.

I need to find out all the niggly little things that pupils mess up on a test and ensure that i don't make those mistakes neither otherwise i would be really wounded. em if i got anything else to add ill put it down man... i have no structure to wat ive writtern ive just wrote what im thinkin in my head lol

Passed Theory 1st time.

#20 31-07-08 18:59:11

kurtangle

I failed a mock test today.

I was harshly braking out of the test centre. Then my instructor told me that they wouldnt really mark me down for that for nerves and I just started out, but then whilst carrying on for a while my driving was flawless until I came to a road which I had no clue to wat the speeding limit was and as it was an open stretch of road I went up to 40 on a 30, but there was a speed camera and my instructor braked cos he didn't want to get a ticket which is understandable, but I was so bleep off man that I didn't really concentrate at all for the rest of the lesson.  But I did thought hell with it I might aswell just carry on with the rest and see how I am.  Even tho my instructor told me if there wasn't any speed cameras there and i continued speeding he would have put that as a serious, but himself and me knew as soon as I would judge the speed of other vehicles I would have slowed down eventually, so we gave that a minor.  Then I drove along and did a reverse part which I thought was pretty good but I got an 1/8th of the outside tire on the kerb but other than that the parking was good.  I also got silly minors for creeping up to a car in front of me too much, which I think I can definately exclude in tommorrows mock test too.  The turn in the road I did was flawless as I waited for cars which came from both directions to halt and then continue my manouvre.  I got about 18 minors all together, which I think for learning to drive since the start of July, 2 hours 4 times a day (with two weeks where i just had 2 lessons) is pretty good in my opinion.  I am comfortable driving the car, my first test I wasn't far from passing my mock, tommorrow I will be more determined and concentrating on eliminating pointless errors. 

A quick question I wanted to ask you guys is, when you do the emergency stop, and you've completed the stop and do you have to wait for the instructor to tell you to carry on or do you just continue as soon as you've completed the manvoure? I ask this because when I did it on my mock, I was sitting there waiting for a good couple of seconds for the examiner say thanks and can you move off when your ready, but he didn't so I just moved as soon as I saw a vehicle behind me approaching.  On a CD that I have the video show's that the examiner tells you to continue off.

Passed Theory 1st time.

#21 08-08-08 09:15:30

kurtangle

I passed I passed I passed, 1st time with 3 minors!

Passed Theory 1st time.

#22 11-03-09 19:01:24

tim12345

Hello, I used a driving school in Southampton.
They were very good and I got my license in 1 month, I pass you their website http://www.alg-driving-lessons-southampton.co.uk in case anyone need a driving instructor in the Hampshire area.

Cheers

Board footer