You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-09-07 13:46:23

MsZetec2.0

Driving a van

Hi guys,

I'm going to be hiring a van on Tuesday - 1 year EXACTLY since I passed my test, and what a way to mark it!  lol Anyway, it's only going to be an ickle thing like a Renault Kangoo but am a little worried about the lack of a rearview mirror and not being able to see out the sides to park, etc. I will more than likely need to reverse it down my drive and that's the main thing that's concerning me, not having back windows to see out of.

Anyone have any tips on dealing with the above? Quite looking forward to it now and should have a lovely new kitchen home by the end of the day, all being well  big_smile Am gonna pick it up early in the morning and take my Gran to the hairdresser's in it  lol My Rover still has a leaking brake hose which a thoroughly incompetant garage has taken 3 attempts to fix and made my brakes worse than ever, so if I have an alternative vehicle to drive, I'm driving that instead. My good garage can't fit me in til next week to look at it, then probably the week after to actually repair it.  neutral

Anyway, tips on van driving appreciated!  big_smile

And I get scared but I'm not crawling on my knees...

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/index.p … ral/26123/

May all your crossroads be signposted.

22-09-07 13:46:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving a van

#2 22-09-07 18:37:51

driver69

Keep switching your view from left/right mirrors and keep the van slow.  Before starting to reverse, get out and check there are no kids around the back.  Not sure about the kangoo but most vans now have   good blind spot mirrors too.

#3 23-09-07 06:56:16

ExAdiNigel

Something small like a Renault Kangoo is likely to have a rear view mirror so it is only reversing that would be much different.  When reversing you have better vision if you reverse to the right than if you reverse to the left.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 23-09-07 07:12:04

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Good advice above. Make sure the side mirrors are correctly adjusted i.e. you are looking back along the sides of your van.

Ahem... is it a WHITE VAN (meaning you are now one of those "white van drivers" I read about on this forum  big_smile )?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#5 23-09-07 07:42:48

Dimmy

All the Kangoo's I've driven all had solid doors to the rear.

Effective use of the mirrors, and slowwwwwwwwwww speed. Dont forget to take effective use of what windows are available.

Reversing to the right is safer then to the left, so practice it.

No harm in getting a family member or friend to act as a banksman while you practice and become confident in your abilities.

#6 23-09-07 11:47:50

MsZetec2.0

Um, it probably will be a white van yeah!  lol With Arnold Clark written along the side of it. Thanks for the tips guys. Will probably have some one with me so they can check I don't bump it into anything. I'm used to doing right reverses in a car, just have to get used to doing it in a van.

#7 23-09-07 19:05:29

MsZetec2.0

Just swung past the hire place tonight for a nosey and it looks like the only little van they have a Citreon Berlingo, and it does have small windows in the back. One in each door. Only slight problem I could see is if I need to load it up past the windows.

#8 23-09-07 19:16:19

AndyBerry

Don't worry too much about the lack of rear vis... you'll possibly find yourself compensating by using the door mirrors more than you normally would to improve your vision...

Am sure you'll get on fine with it

Andy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 23-09-07 20:38:52

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

Just swung past the hire place tonight for a nosey and it looks like the only little van they have a Citreon Berlingo, and it does have small windows in the back. One in each door. Only slight problem I could see is if I need to load it up past the windows.

I tmight have windows at the back, but it might also have a bulkhead behind the front seats, if it hasn't got the bulkhead then be very careful about you loading, remember anything in the back that can come flying forwards following a crash or heavy braking becomes a missile that could kill you.

Board footer