You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-09-07 11:23:30

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Sat navs detrimental to road safety?

With kev elliott's encouragement., I'm starting a new thread which has sprang (sprung? sprunged? springed?) from Angel's "motorway lorry nightmare"...

I said: "I have read up a lot on sat navs but never used one myself (one day soon I'll get a Tom Tom), I have often wondered about the effects they have on general road safety.
I can envisage drivers doing things on the spur of the moment "because their sat nav said to do it".
What are your thoughts..."

And BTW I intend to get the latest Tom Tom with the wide screen; they get very good reviews down here, anyone used a Tom Tom are they good? It's just that they are generally cheaper than the other brands.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

19-09-07 11:23:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Sat navs detrimental to road safety?

#2 19-09-07 12:14:52

GrahamADI
Verified Member

I'm new to satnav. Got a navman during my summer holiday because the wife threw the map in to the back of the car, crossed her arms and went in a grump. All I asked was "where do I turn".

Anyway, I think overall they are a good thing because it's one less thing to worry about. We've all been there, driving along a road, looking for somewhere we're going, seeing the turn a bit late and putting the car on 2 wheels to get around the corner, followed by instant panic at the speed camera pionting at you (even though you're not speeding), then having to cross 3 lanes of traffic to take the next road within 30 yards, and then... you get the idea. It just means that you get the directions well in advance, even on complex junctions such as "turn left then keep right". Even the speed camera warning on them I find very useful. Again it's not because I speed, it just stops the "oh crap, speed camera!"

However, you do need to use a bit of common sense. On said holiday, somewhere around the lake district, our satnav tried to send us through a ford. Now this ford was a bit on the deep side (about 2 ft) and it was very rocky. So rocky that even if it was dry, I probably wouldn't have chanced it. So we ignored it, but then for the next 2 miles all we heard was "perform a u turn where possible".

So yes they are very good things to have in the car, especially for unfamiliar areas, but you have to use your own eyes and brains, and not fall into the trap of following it blindly.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 19-09-07 14:52:35

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
This is part of an article i wrote on Sat Navs earlier this year.

I think that one of the useful skills we could introduce to our pupils might well be “How to get the best from your Sat Nav”.
The first lesson in usage, apart from setting it up,  would be use it initially on routes you know, in order to find out how well it gives those instructions:
i.e.
How early does it give you a preparatory warning?
What is the timing for the Turn Now instruction?
Is it too early at times so that another junction is in play other than the one you want?
How does it instruct at Roundabouts? Does it use numbered exits or does it use Left/StraightAhead/Right type directions?
If numbered exits do you have time to then identify the direction on the signage?
How quickly will it calculate an alternative routing as opposed to trying to get you back to the original route
I have certainly identified a few places where the directions could be misleading to a stranger unless they are alert to the actual road layout and use that apparently uncommon attribute “Common sense”.
On a main road near Bolton a minor road/track goes straight ahead while the main road bears right.
Whereas the voiceover gives “Prepare to turn Right ahead” about 100 yds before the bend and then gives “Turn Right now” about  a quarter of the way into the bend.
Now a stranger would have probably already done a mirror check and started signalling (Alright I’m being optimistic), and would be looking, fruitlessly, for a turning off the main road; all the while confusing the locals behind who know there isn’t one.
A somewhat more serious occurrence seems to be on Motorways where carriageways diverge (Lanes becoming a different route rather than standard off-slips).
The initial instruction is well back from the divergence, however the “Leave this Motorway Now” instruction is extremely close to the end of the Carriage way dividing lines (Short lines and Short Gaps) and the start of the dividing Chevrons. Personally I get into the correct carriageway at the latest at the start of the carriageway dividing lines and sometimes even earlier, if for instance, the overhead signage or painted road numbers on the tarmac designates the lanes  earlier.
I am sure that like me you have noticed those drivers who move across much later, virtually at the start of the chevrons, I think I have now identified why they do this, they are listening to that Sat Nav voice.

#4 19-09-07 18:21:47

pj
Verified Member

My sat nav told me to take the next road on the left, what it didn't say was that it was a no left turn and a one way street coming out yikes yikes Now I noticed the signs :angel: but I bet there are lots of drivers who don't and just turn where the sat nav tells them.  Blooming thing then started telling me off and to turn round....love winding it up tongue

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 19-09-07 18:35:08

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

....love winding it up tongue

They're electronic you know, not clockwork, you don't need to wind them up. big_smile big_smile big_smile

My GrandDaughter calls it "That stupid woman that GrandDad argues with". big_smile big_smile big_smile

#6 19-09-07 22:01:18

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I got myself a satnav just before going on honeymoon. It was the Garmin nuvi with europe maps, just incase we got lost in Rome somewhere.

I have to admit to being obsessed with it. I even got such enjoyment of finding out where on the mediteranean sea our cruise ship was.

I even use it to take me home the same route ive travelled for months. 

I find it gives instructions early like "in 0.2 miles turn left" the confirmation instruction is still sometimes earlier than i would give it to a pupil. 

It sees sharp bends as turns and gives the same instruction as it would for a t junction which can be annoying.

It works best when you listen and then check visually where it wants you to go. 

#7 19-09-07 22:31:22

Angel
Verified Member
Website

My partner's RX8 has one fitted and it is useful for finding places you dont know but if you stop before it says you should it wont shut up! It always tries to send us one way to the M25 when the way we go is much quicker and shorter. The voice sounds like Fran, the travel totty on Radio 2. It is impossible to turn off too, we shut the lid down and it still chatters away....It would be really useful if you could just get it to retrace its steps to take you home without having to enter in your home address..perhaps it can, the manual is that thick I'm not sure we got to the end of it!  roll
I personally love a good map!! :evil:

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#8 20-09-07 15:40:07

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Angel
You should be able to save your Home Address under Favourites or some such title.

#9 20-09-07 18:06:50

Leprechaun

Hi Angel
You should be able to save your Home Address under Favourites or some such title.

Yes you can but don't use your proper home address - if it ever got stolen (with or without your car) all someone has to do is press "home" and then they know exactly where you live  yikes yikes I used to have my home address programmed until i was given this bit of advice ( i think iread it somewhere  neutral) My "Home" address is now a main junction about 3 or 4 roads away from my actual address  big_smile

I really love my sat nav but like other thinking drivers i use it in conjunction with street signs and common sense  wink I've been using mine for about 12 months now and i heard a new instruction the other day "sharp right turn"  yikes

I've never really had a problem when using mine, i find the instructions are given in plenty of time and the 'now' instruction is given at an appropriate moment too.

The only thing with mine is that it has a fondness for Tesco  big_smile big_smile big_smile I've been sent into Tesco's quite a few times  big_smile big_smile And it was bought in Asda   roll big_smile

#10 20-09-07 19:10:17

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

Yes you can but don't use your proper home address - if it ever got stolen (with or without your car) all someone has to do is press "home" and then they know exactly where you live  yikes yikes I used to have my home address programmed until i was given this bit of advice ( i think iread it somewhere  neutral) My "Home" address is now a main junction about 3 or 4 roads away from my actual address  big_smile

Good advice that, I will modify mine and mention it to pupils and others.

Mind you,  I do know some people who wouldn't be able to find their way home from that far away.:D big_smile big_smile

Unless they have been in the pub of course. big_smile big_smile big_smile

Board footer