You are not logged in.

#1 12-02-05 07:33:19

Ozzie

Emergency Stop on Part 3

Hi All,

I have a PDI who has failed her Part 3 on the Emergency Stop, and I spoke to a BSM PDI who also failed on it.

Both instructors told me of a similar situation. The Examiner does the ES really violently causing the ABS to cut in, the instructor then tries to get the examiner to do a less harsh stop under a more controlled situation, and the general attitude of the examiner changes saying that the car has ABS why not use it?

The instructor replies that not all cars have ABS so in that split second when you decide to brake will you remember whether this car has ABS or not. The examiner then replies well this one has it on.

It also doesn't seem to matter if the clutch goes down very early as the ABS is not effected.

Personally I think the Examiner is trying to see if the instructor can face a confrontational situation, but not too certain.

Oz

12-02-05 07:33:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Emergency Stop on Part 3

#2 12-02-05 10:51:25

TDC
Verified Member

could it be that abs and the difference to non abs wasnt really explained enough  in the breifings so the 'pupil' played on that???

Im so good its unbelievable

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 12-02-05 15:13:02

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

After reading Ozzie's post a few times, I would come to the same conclusion as TDC.  Not being in the car to hear the briefing it would be  hard to say, but TDC's answer was the one that came to mind.

As we know, if its not covered in the briefing properly it gives the pupil a good bit to play with. If not sorted, the pupil would then maybe go the confrontational  route, or maybe the "I don't understand route".

Either way I guess it would be a fail.

#4 12-02-05 23:32:07

Russ
Verified Member
Website

Just passed pt 3 with PST 5 E.S
I forgot to mention ABS V non ABS, as my car didnt have ABS wasn't an issue.
SE went through 3 tries at ES first clutch down tok hand off wheel, 2nd, both pedels together 3rd just right. i only gve him chnce to go into 2nd as not much road left to carry on trying.
Passed pt 3 though. big_smile
Phew smile
Russ

#5 15-02-05 00:29:28

dashdriving.com
Website

Ozzie,

I've chatted to a couple of SE's about stuff like this in the past . . . what they said was that part of their job is to give the PDI every chance of success.

They will give the PDI all the information they need and all the assistance (believe it or not!!) that they need to pass.

Because of this, I agree completely with TDC. You really need to check that ABS was covered in the briefing by the trainee. I don't think the SE was being difficult, just giving the PDI the chance to put things right. Without firther info, the SE will follow their training and go along the 'testing' and ultimately 'confrontational' paths.

regards,

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

Board footer