You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-09-07 14:59:14

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Straight sixes

Hi all

Had the infamous check test today, scored straight sixes in all categories. For some time I have been giving check test training as I have been grade 6 since 1999, it is reassuring to know that applying what I teach has the correct results. If any one requires help in any aspect of Instructor training please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards to all

Graham Hooper ADI Dip DI MAIRSO

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

05-09-07 14:59:14

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Straight sixes

#2 05-09-07 15:15:12

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Well done Graham!

He came into our office today with a big grin on his face and it's my fault for getting him to let the world know - After all it's not much use hiding your light under a bushell (whatever that means neutral) Pupils will almost certainly never ask and I don't always believe some of the boasts I hear down at the test centre.

What he didn't tell you was that it was a fleet check test and conducted as 'Role Play'

I've got mine on the 20th September and at least I'm confident his advice (as my trainer) will be fresh and relevant.

Regards,

#3 05-09-07 15:20:25

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

#4 05-09-07 22:03:56

Angel
Verified Member
Website

Got mine next week (gulp) dreading it quite frankly, at this stage just hoping to get through it with a 4! Way to go Graham!

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#5 05-09-07 23:09:19

Disky
Verified Member
Website

nice one, very well done  smile

#6 19-09-07 09:59:29

whodareswins
Verified Member

Just thought that I would mention that I also got straight sixes on my Fleet Check Test today.

Whooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeee big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#7 19-09-07 10:38:37

VandADI
Administrator

Nice one Percy, way to go......  smile

#8 19-09-07 10:47:30

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Just superb - Well done Percy!!

That's 2 trainers with straight sixes in the last few weeks - 3 in total now - The Big Red Fleet Company will have a pretty decent bunch of trainers if this continues.

Trouble is I can't take any credit as I've given them no training neutral

Anyway - Keep it up guys  big_smile

Regards

#9 19-09-07 10:58:07

whodareswins
Verified Member

Thanks Vanda and Tony.

Just like to add that its a pleasure working with you guys at the Big Red Fleet Company.

Percy (nom de plume  big_smile )

#10 19-09-07 17:57:09

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

nice one, with some more work in the pipeline things are looking good.

www.1st-4.org
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#11 19-09-07 18:06:32

pj
Verified Member

Congratulations to both of you on your 6's wink

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#12 20-09-07 22:08:32

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Well, took mine today and managed to improve to a grade 5. Which is not bad considering how rusty I am! I've not done a lesson since February, but did do a few days of fleet work in June. Still it will keep to DSA off my back until I retire 8-) Anyone want to buy the business?

Regards,

(Actually 4 years away neutral)

#13 21-09-07 09:22:00

whodareswins
Verified Member

Well done mate!

I guess that means the beers are on you??

Percy

#14 21-09-07 22:26:13

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Not a chance!

Surely they must be on the two supersatars :afro:

I'll buy you all a drink when I get a grade 6 8-)

Regards,

#15 20-01-08 15:37:25

strawberrygiraffe
Verified Member

hi, please can i contact you in regards to my upcoming test thank you

ooo thats a bit of a worry

#16 20-01-08 17:25:30

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

High

No problem, all my details on my website www.1st-4.org

Regards Graham

www.1st-4.org

#17 20-01-08 18:07:47

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Does anyone do a write up for a fleet check test?, I had to postpone my initial check test due to personal reasons, since then I have my DSA and RoSPA fleet badges and will be doing a fleet check as my first EVER check test.
a write up from one of the "six pack wink" boys would be nice.

AL

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#18 21-01-08 18:39:01

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

1st things 1st have a route plan.
The format is laid out by the DSA. mY CHECK TEST went along these lines. Introduced myself to the examiner and had a prepared laptop presentation that I had used  in my fleet work. Went through the laptop presentation with the examiner included Killed serious injury figures KSI's in the work place and answered any questions that the examiner asked. Next went through vehicle inspection used the acronym POWDERY this was done in the car park I had on a high vis vest and offered him one. Asked him to get in the car watched his cockpit drill and asked if he had any questions about the vehicle controls plus mentioned any extras such as ABS and traction control. Assessed his drive, and asked questions about his usual driving and vehicle loading, did not give any questions even though he was breaking the speed limit and travelling to close. Pulled over after about 8 mins and debriefed, asked about his views mentioned minor faults and then focused on speed and space. Told him what I was going to work on and agreed understanding. Drove on and then worked on attitude and emotions, prevented any faults from happenning by be proactive and anticipating problems in good time, used q & a early to assess his response to hazards ahead. Slowly backed off with instruction where needed and then finally told him I would re-assess and we agreed improvement was taking place. Headed back to test centre debriefed and highlighted areas for improvement.
I hope this proves useful if any wants to discuss any areas in further detail than I am willing to help.

www.1st-4.org

#19 21-01-08 21:07:33

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Cheers Graham, just a couple of questions

1 - is the initial brief 10mins like the part 3 pst's?

2 - was the presentation a shorter version than you would use on "fleet"

I dont have a laptop at present, so I'd have to print off a Powerpoint presentation, when you say The format is laid out by the DSA, is this in the info pack they send when they book your test?

Driver CPC Trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 21-01-08 21:42:32

whodareswins
Verified Member

You need to remember that a "normal" fleet training session with a business client could take a whole day. It's obvious that on a one hour checktest you cannot cover all aspects of this training in such detail.

For example (and typically), a full client presentation could take one hour so you need to show the Examiner a 10 minute overview of what you have prepared.

Just treat the examiner as a driver undergoing an Ocupational Road Risk Assessment. Ask him about his function in the company, what he normally drives, how long he has been driving etc. Explain why the assessment is taking place and what format it will take. Treat him as an adult and use your "coaching" skills as opposed to your teaching skills. Be prepared for any faults to be quite "subtle" and do NOT use the "see it, say it and sort it" approach. You need to make a note of all aspects of his driving that require "attention" during the first part of the drive. Most importantly, you need to be able to prioritise any faults made in order of "risk". These must be explained and discussed at the side of the road. On the second part of the drive, concentrate on remedying these key risk areas. Mention any other points you noted from the first drive as the opportunity presents itself (and it probably will).

Regarding the overall format of the checktest, it can be found in the ADI 1 but I have copied it below for your information.

If an ADI is registered as a fleet trainer they must conduct a fleet check test. Where the ADI attends with a learner driver the examiner should offer to conduct a ‘fleet’ role play check test. The assessment of a fleet check test does not differ from that of a normal check test, however, the structure does. A fleet trainer may adopt the following delivery: (Examiners need to be flexible.)
• Deliver a short presentation on occupational road safety. This needs to be managed if doing a role play. Can be delivered either in the car or Examiners office.
• Provide a short overview on vehicle safety and familiarisation.
• Conduct a short driver profile. ( Lasts approx 10-15 minutes)
• Recap the main areas of weakness. Prioritising the more serious faults.
• Provide a remedy via coaching techniques.
• Recap the whole session.

Graham has provided an excellent overview of what he did. Mine was very similar.

Good luck on your checktest.

Percy

#21 21-01-08 21:51:24

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

cheers Lads,

hopefully my Check Test is still a while away, but what you 2 have posted above gives me grounds to work on, I need to sit down and sort out a full presentation for fleet some time soon, then bullet point it for check test when time comes.

thanks again

Driver CPC Trainer

#22 22-01-08 15:38:26

copone
Verified Member

First of all congratulations to Graham in getting an excellent Fleet grade, and to the good advise from Whodareswins. I have my fleet check test coming in about 4 weeks time, but have elected to take another driver. Do I understand that  a presentation is not required and that the vehicle checks are taken as done together with licence and eyesight checks. No doubt I tell the SE this and outline the drivers' experience. Then allow the driver to drive for approx. 15-20mins, to give me time to assess his/her driving. Park up, explain, priorotise, then rectify, including Q&A. At the conclusion, recap, then inform client what we will look at later. Please keep me right, I may be wrong on some things. Cheers.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#23 22-01-08 16:59:22

whodareswins
Verified Member

Hi copone,

Your understanding is basically correct. The presentation, vehicle, licence and eyesight checks are taken as done. In any case, you can simply inform the examiner that it HAS already been done.

Provide the examiner with the driver "profile". I.e. Age, Position in company, driving experience, types of vehicle being driven etc.

Allow the guinea pig to drive for 20 (approx) minutes while you note down the faults and prioritise them (as normal). Pull him over to the side for about 10 minutes, discuss your findings and agree your plan of action for the next driving phase. (Just as you have said in your post). In the next 20 minutes concentrate on, and rectify, the key risks. When you arrive back at the DTC, use about 5-10 minutes to debrief your driver, recap the whole exercise and mention those areas that need further attention or that will be addressed on the next drive.

That should do you just fine.

Percy

#24 22-01-08 17:08:35

copone
Verified Member

Thanks very much for the advise. Keep fingers crossed. Plenty of time to plan route etc. Cheers.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#25 22-01-08 17:35:10

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Copone, any reason your taking a driver rather than doing role play?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Board footer