You are not logged in.

#1 04-09-07 20:59:35

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Thinking about a second car

I am in a fortunate position just now with a full book and about six on a waiting list.  I am seriously thinking about increasing my business empire to two cars lol
Can anyone offer me advice here on what to charge as a franchise and how best to find a suitable instructor.
Should I be considering someone on a pink badge ?

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

04-09-07 20:59:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Thinking about a second car

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 05-09-07 12:46:56

Target
Verified Member
Website

Ian.............Have a look at the replies after I asked a similiar question.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 698.0.html

I've had some details on the website for about 6 weeks now, and only had 1 enquiry which recently fell through before we reached the meeting stage. I do no other advertising because I cannot afford to.

I'm a little more reluctant to start someone now, with it being the quite season starting very soon.

It seems that to start with I'd be coming off the street to maintain someone elses diary thus earning less money. However, it would give me more time to study for DipDi or instructor training which i do not have time for at the moment. Long term I could assist instructors with my own knowledge.

Not looking for any Pdi's unless they are later HOME GROWN. Too much hassle of not passing test and you have to be so careful about time wasters.

All in all I'm sitting back to see what happens. I may get some mags for the car to push it next year, but happy with my 40 hours at the moment.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 05-09-07 18:01:04

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

You are right on the mark Target. You might come off the road to start another instructor and you probably need 2 or 3 to break even. It does take a big investment in time and money to become a school and you have to think beyond the first instructor.

It is also worth considering moving to automatic cars yourself so you could fill a car quite immediately with your pupils and when things go quiet your instructor won't accuse you of taking all the pupils.

Here are some things to consider Ian:

1) Have you measured your advertising response and pupil consumption will it definitely keep 2 people in work.

2) Make sure you have systems and procedure in place and a written agreement with your instructor, however simple.

3) Work out a way to track your instructors diary so you can answer the phone and book the caller in their diary. We have lost a pupil each day this week in Portsmouth because they asked to book a lesson and we had no time from our instructors. By the time we found some time and got back to them they had gone elsewhere. We have systems but everybody seems busy.

4) Remember, the instructor is your customer they will expect a service for their fee so check what other schools in your area are charging and try to match like with like.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#4 05-09-07 20:58:49

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Many thanks target & Colin for your advice.  It is much appreciated.

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

Board footer