You are not logged in.

#1 02-09-07 17:59:11

johnb

Help.. honest opinion needed..

Hi all , i am a 35 year old class one driver , and recent convert to motorcycling ,
having very recently taken my cbt im now on course for my full unrestricted bike licence .
now comes the difficult part . buying my first motorcycle..?
I will be using it to comute to and from work , 15 miles round trip. and for leisure at the weekends.
I have  few in mind I.E the honda cbr600r , Yamaha R6 , but not having rode either i am clueless..?
I no a salesman will tell me what i want to hear but i would rather ask you season pro,s out there you views..?

Thankyou in advance ... john

02-09-07 17:59:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help.. honest opinion needed..

#2 02-09-07 18:24:21

Kev D
Verified Member

Firstly I would be very careful on choosing your first bike once you pass.  Yes indeed you will have access to all bike engine sizes, and there are enough models to choose between.  Safety should be your first concern, and for that reason I would be tempted to avoid bikes like the R6 and the CBR600R as these bikes in the hands of a less experienced rider can be disastrous, so I would take some time to learn your craft so to speak.

Your height/stature/build etc can also dictate which bikes you will feel comfortable on.  Prolonged bike riding is much more physically demanding than driving a car and causes extra fatigue, so it is essential that you get a bike that is comfortable to you.  A friend of mine has an R6 which he allows me to use from time to time, but it does not suit my height/stature/build and whilst I can ride it for short periods, I would be very unhappy if I had bought one.

I am afraid the only other alternative is to go around the dealers and sit on a few different machines and get an idea on what style of bike suits you best.  Also your instructor may be able to advise or guide you in the right direction.  Most of them are quite passionate about biking and once you get them started talking about biking it can be difficult to shut them up lol.

Hope this helps, and good luck out there.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 02-09-07 20:03:49

la.monikita
Verified Member

Hi all , i am a 35 year old class one driver , and recent convert to motorcycling ,
having very recently taken my cbt im now on course for my full unrestricted bike licence .
now comes the difficult part . buying my first motorcycle..?
I will be using it to comute to and from work , 15 miles round trip. and for leisure at the weekends.
I have  few in mind I.E the honda cbr600r , Yamaha R6 , but not having rode either i am clueless..?
I no a salesman will tell me what i want to hear but i would rather ask you season pro,s out there you views..?

Thankyou in advance ... john

Hey John,

most people seem to choose SV650, bike that goes in any gear (it seems) and it's not too expensive to buy.

visit http://forums.sv650.org/

you'll find all the info you need regarding the bike from a friendly bunch of people.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#4 05-09-07 23:09:34

Carl1

To be honest John you need to think about what sort of riding you will be doing before you go and buy a bike.  Ok, 15 mile round trip to work won't be much fun no matter what you ride, your tyres won't even have warmed up and the bike will be all over the place, but for the weekend bimbles you need to do some prior consideration. Yes the CBR600RR/R6 and the other supersport 600s are all really tasty but if you want to do mainly steady-paced touring rides at the weekend you'd be better off with something a little more 'all-rounder' ie. Bandit650, SV650, Fazer 6, Hornet to name a few.  If you want to go balls-out on a weekend then you'll need a tool designed for it, in which case the CBR is a good choice.

The best thing you can do is go to different showrooms when you get your license and try them you'll soon know what feels best for you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-12-07 20:51:58

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Dragging up an old thread I know but....

First of all..

carl1 wrote:

Ok, 15 mile round trip to work won't be much fun no matter what you ride, your tyres won't even have warmed up and the bike will be all over the place,

What?... I don't know what you ride? I do a 15 ish mile round trip to work on a CBR600F and it is fun.. I have the choice of taking the car or the bike every morning and the bike wins everytime. Tyres don't take more than fifteen miles to warm up, about half a mile and they're okay... and I can't even begin to think what your thought process is when you say "the bike will be all over the place...?

The CBR600F or RR is as good a bike as any for a new rider. The same goes for R6's, GSX-R600's or ZX6's. The benefit of the CBR600F over the RR is the riding position. The RR is a bit more sports orientated where as the F is better for prolonged riding. There's nothing wrong with getting a litre sports bike as your first bike, as long as you respect its power.

Someone who is a Class 1 Driver should have enough self discipline to be able to control his/her right hand. The bike will only throw you off if you let it. Keep it in control and build up your confidence on it and know your riding limits and don't push your luck.

Anyway... Johnb, how did you get on and what bike have you bought?  big_smile

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

#6 10-12-07 13:03:20

Carl1

I do a 15 ish mile round trip to work on a CBR600F and it is fun..

A round trip always used to be there and back so that equates to 7.5 miles each way doesn't it?  Tyres will almost 100% certainly be good after 15 miles but 7.5 miles is a little close to the mark.

I have the choice of taking the car or the bike every morning and the bike wins everytime.

Yes bikes are invariably a more satisfying way to travel than the car, but really by the time you have kitted up, got the bike out of the garage and warmed it up, got to work 7 miles away, de-kitted, etc.  Add to that the fact that your bike will degrade much much quicker in the Brtitish wet winter climate and the added mileage on the clock is it really worth the hassle?

Tyres don't take more than fifteen miles to warm up, about half a mile and they're okay...

Half a mile to warm up??????? Wow I want some of those.
If you ride permanently upright and never lean it (more Harley than Honda) then by all means you'll be fine from the off but cold tyres being leant too far, or pushed a little harder than normal before they are warm WILL kick and slide, and when commutes are usually early morning aswell when the roads are still cold and greasy from the night before , well........
In my honest opinion someone who has only just got onto a bike recently and only passed their CBT should not be told that their tyres will be okay after such a ridculously short distance, especially when they are on about buying a powerful bike as a first bike.  Obviously it all depends on the bike/riding style/roads/weather/etc. but I for one wouldn't consider my tyres to be up to normal traction temperature until at least 5 or 10 miles.

and I can't even begin to think what your thought process is when you say "the bike will be all over the place...?

On trackdays you are given the advice to take it easy for the first 2 or 3 laps to get the tyres warmed, and thats on a good surface without the typical riding-line potholes, drain covers and overbanding.  If you've never had a rear-end wobble or a front end slip away from you when riding on cold, damp surfaces whilst your tyres are still cold then all I can only assume you are living in a hotter country than me.

I don't know what you ride?

For the record I currently ride a TL1000R and yes it deserves a respectful right hand.

I used to commute on my old SV, roughly 12 miles there and back and that was no fun (curse the carb icing in the winter) but the weekend leisure rides or a long diversion home were a different matter altogether.  Infact I am changing jobs in January and will be down in Essex, 161 miles away and the travelling to there 2 or 3 times a week will be on the TL on the motorway/dual tracks for the first 3 or 4 months.  As a biker you will know that these sorts of roads are not fun, but give me the A483 & A470 through Wales - biking on MY terms not because I just have to get to work.
Anyway, I've digressed, if you want to risk binning your pride and joy up the road in some cold tyre spinfest whilst you're chewing tarmac then by all means go for it, each to their own.  The title of the thread was "Help.. honest opinion needed" and that was what I gave - my honest opinion.

So, indeed, John how is the DAS going?

#7 10-12-07 17:04:56

Top Marks
Verified Member

CBR600 is a great starter bike, docile if you are sensible, a monster as you gain more experience!

I started on one and its a great bike!

[IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/markadi_2006/av.jpg[/img]

WWW.Top-Marks-SoM.CoM

#8 10-12-07 18:16:24

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Going to totally disagree with pretty much everything you've said there Carl1...

Obviously different riding styles eh?..

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

Board footer